S3 Realistic MPG

What are you going on about? MPG is an important consideration in any daily vehicle. I'd love to see how you felt after spending a year in London, bumper to bumper in traffic getting 13mpg. I'm sure you'd see things very differently.
I travel through bradford everyday bumper to bumper I get roughly 17mpg on my way to work. It really doesn’t bother me if I was worried about fuel cost I’d of got a diesel...
But if you started getting 3, you'd suddenly care.

It's a really ridiculous statement to make.
not if you can afford it, to me it really doesn’t matter tanks empty I fill it 3 or 30mpg I aren’t bothered

Reactions: lucaslfc
Long term average is probably around 26mpg, more often than not it's about 270 miles to a tank. Actually not that much different to the R32 it replaced.

It is what it is though, as has been said - if it needs filling up it gets filled up :grinning:

Reactions: Jassyo06 and lucaslfc
You're getting boring now.
I don't care FACT!
Maybe I lived in a one bed flat in say Sheperds Bush that cost me way over the odds rather than building my own rural property making a killing into the bargain I'd bother more, but I don't.
Just off to get the Lambo out of the garage as the butler is on holiday and go for a drive just to burn some fuel.
Nighty night!
You don’t care if you’re car does 10mpg compared to 30mpg? Bit weird of you mate... you’d spend so much more time at the petrol station and spending so much money on fuel.

You don’t care if you’re car does 10mpg compared to 30mpg? Bit weird of you mate... you’d spend so much more time at the petrol station and spending so much money on fuel.
Only £1800 vs £5300 at current fuel prices for 10k miles.. ;)

I guess some people genuinely don't care about mpg, though I'd expect it more from people owning supercar and not S3s. With the above example, say you owned the car for 30k miles you would be spending an extra £10k on fuel. However the example is a bit extreme so more sensible numbers...

25mpg: £6382
30mpg: £5318
35mpg: £4559

£1800 difference between 25 and 35 over 30k miles. Each to their own to decide if that money is worth worrying about, driving in efficiency mode etc..

Reactions: Timi8888
not if you can afford it, to me it really doesn’t matter tanks empty I fill it 3 or 30mpg I aren’t bothered

"I aren't bothered".

If you did get 3mpg, you obviously would care, because your fuel costs would be about £1500 a month.

You literally just stated that you wouldn't care if your fuel was 10x more expensive. To drive your 2l hatchback. If you walked into a station tomorrow, and fuel was £23 a litre, you'd be like, "doesn't bother me, I can afford it"

Christ on a ****** bike...

"I aren't bothered".

If you did get 3mpg, you obviously would care, because your fuel costs would be about £1500 a month.

You literally just stated that you wouldn't care if your fuel was 10x more expensive. To drive your 2l hatchback. If you walked into a station tomorrow, and fuel was £23 a litre, you'd be like, "doesn't bother me, I can afford it"

Christ on a ****** bike...
yeah but it isn’t £23 a litre is it....
I said I aren’t bothered that I only get 180-250 miles a tank. The fact I get 20mpg or 40 mpg doesn’t bother me in the slightest. If it’s empty I fill it. Why does my circumstances bother you so much ahah. Okay 3 mpg is extreme but I have owed cars that spend most of the time below 15mpg and in single figures and had them as a daily cars. yes it’s a lot of money but i like my cars it’s what I like to spend my money on. You are different obviously Jesus Christ relax

You're getting boring now.
I don't care FACT!
Maybe I lived in a one bed flat in say Sheperds Bush that cost me way over the odds rather than building my own rural property making a killing into the bargain I'd bother more, but I don't.
Just off to get the Lambo out of the garage as the butler is on holiday and go for a drive just to burn some fuel.
Nighty night!
Hahahah that did make me laugh. I think most petrol heads don’t care much for the environment neither.

yeah but it isn’t £23 a litre is it....
I said I aren’t bothered that I only get 180-250 miles a tank. The fact I get 20mpg or 40 mpg doesn’t bother me in the slightest. If it’s empty I fill it. Why does my circumstances bother you so much ahah. Okay 3 mpg is extreme but I have owed cars that spend most of the time below 15mpg and in single figures and had them as a daily cars. yes it’s a lot of money but i like my cars it’s what I like to spend my money on. You are different obviously Jesus Christ relax

I'm perfectly relaxed - you sound stressed out. Don't say 3mpg if you don't mean 3mpg. If your point can't be made without having to exaggerate, then you don't have a point to make. Like the guy above who had a little temper tantrum, you seem to be continuing more because you don't like being wrong, rather than being honest with yourself and accepting that you might've said something a bit silly.

How am I wrong it’s my opinion. Really seems my original comment has been taken out of context. Okay I exaggerated with 3 but let’s be honest next to no car is really going to be achieving 3 these days. Neither does it cost £23 a litre so right here and now I’m happy enough filling it when ever. you stick to what you like doing.

The OP wanted to see how many mpg he could get doing 15k miles a year. People are telling him he shouldn’t worry whether he gets 10 or 40mpg.... not very helpful to what he wants to know lol.

Reactions: CROCOP
How am I wrong it’s my opinion. Really seems my original comment has been taken out of context. Okay I exaggerated with 3 but let’s be honest next to no car is really going to be achieving 3 these days. Neither does it cost £23 a litre so right here and now I’m happy enough filling it when ever. you stick to what you like doing.

Yes, you exaggerated, so I called you on it. It's not helpful in threads where someone is asking for help to come in grandstanding your opinion. Guy asks what people's MPG is, and only about three people answered. One guy left the thread in floods of tears, crying inexplicably about how cheap house is, you started talking about how you don't care if you only get 3mpg, and another guy went off like he was some extra from Fast & Furious who dies in the first five minutes.

OP just wanted to work out what people's MPG was.

Reactions: sgtvic and Timi8888
Yes, you exaggerated, so I called you on it. It's not helpful in threads where someone is asking for help to come in grandstanding your opinion. Guy asks what people's MPG is, and only about three people answered. One guy left the thread in floods of tears, crying inexplicably about how cheap house is, you started talking about how you don't care if you only get 3mpg, and another guy went off like he was some extra from Fast & Furious who dies in the first five minutes.

OP just wanted to work out what people's MPG was.

Welcome to the internet ;-)

*For the record, I totally agree!​

Reactions: oli356, Rayner_1704 and CROCOP
So basically OP after an extensive debate haha if you want an S3, yes I can be economical as stated but also when you want fun it it can burn your pocket. Totally depends on the driver
hAve a nice day. And enjoy your car reguardless

Reactions: alpesh26
I recently moved into an S3 after having a 2011 Cayman for the past 2 years. I hoped that coming from a 2.9l flat-6 to a 2.0l 4-pot turbo, I'd maybe see some savings in the amount I burn on fuel... turns out, it's exactly the ****** same! :tearsofjoy: Never mind, smiles per gallon and all that!

Reactions: alpesh26, davc and Rayner_1704
It's only money and you only live once so if you can afford the extra fuel costs, go for it.

Reactions: Rayner_1704
I get around 26mpg on commutes (no motorway)
If I do a motorway run I can get around 33mpg-36mpg
If I go for a quick blast around town its usually 21mpg.

You will nevr see 40mpg unless you are rolling downhill.

I get around 26mpg on commutes (no motorway)
If I do a motorway run I can get around 33mpg-36mpg
If I go for a quick blast around town its usually 21mpg.

You will nevr see 40mpg unless you are rolling downhill.

Beg to differ, I got 40mpg coming back from Lincoln (1 1/2 - 2hr drive) it's very possible to get 40mpg on a long run.

Beg to differ, I got 40mpg coming back from Lincoln (1 1/2 - 2hr drive) it's very possible to get 40mpg on a long run.

You are probably right doing 70mph I presume?

I have never driven a 2 hour journey, longest has been around an hour and at 85-90mph I see around 36mpg
I don't doubt that if I set cruise to 70mph I would see 40+

Reactions: Tom.H
You are probably right doing 70mph I presume?

I have never driven a 2 hour journey, longest has been around an hour and at 85-90mph I see around 36mpg
I don't doubt that if I set cruise to 70mph I would see 40+

70mph at most yes, was on the way back from it's detail so didn't want to ruin all the hard work. Also got stuck in a 50mph average speed zone another time and saw 42mpg - I usually do short journeys though and my overall is 26mpg (I got the car 22nd March and haven't even covered 4500 miles yet)

So basically OP after an extensive debate haha if you want an S3, yes I can be economical as stated but also when you want fun it it can burn your pocket. Totally depends on the driver
hAve a nice day. And enjoy your car reguardless

Haha, I knew the S3 wouldn't be that economical (it's not what its about) but I was just trying to gauge how much of a hole it would burn in my pocket!

I should hopefully be picking it up next week when it gets transferred across and if it checks out...CANNOT WAIT!! Will put pics up once I have it

Haha, I knew the S3 wouldn't be that economical (it's not what its about) but I was just trying to gauge how much of a hole it would burn in my pocket!

I should hopefully be picking it up next week when it gets transferred across and if it checks out...CANNOT WAIT!! Will put pics up once I have it

For the power it’s not bad at all, on a steady long drive you can easily get near 40mpg driving at 75 mph. Then if you hoon you’ll easily get low 20’s. It may be a performance car but it is a daily and it’s completely reasonable to consider economy. I cover 15k miles a year and I absolutely considered economy, doesn’t mean I don’t like to have fun with it as well. Pictures!!

I got 44mpg today on country roads for a 20mile journey. Car was fully warm when I set off, stuck to 50mph apart from a mile of 40mph and a couple miles of 60mph on a dual carriageway. Wasn’t very fun but 25mpg on way back even when driving quickly!

Reactions: TYb and Tom.H
25 mpg maybe a touch more, previous s3's 3 door s tronic 8p and 8V SB manual, now facelift Stronic SB will see but Im sure it will be similar !

Just coming back to this thread

Have driven first 1000 miles, average speed 19mph, and currently at 28.0MPG.

Driving from Shepherd's Bush to Battersea, which is my most frequent commute, I average 17-20MPG in efficiency mode with stop/start active.

It seems to be that in traffic of any kind, this seems to be the average.

The strange thing is that I don't actually think any of the driving modes have any real effect on consumption except dynamic

Just coming back to this thread

Have driven first 1000 miles, average speed 19mph, and currently at 28.0MPG.

Driving from Shepherd's Bush to Battersea, which is my most frequent commute, I average 17-20MPG in efficiency mode with stop/start active.

It seems to be that in traffic of any kind, this seems to be the average.

The strange thing is that I don't actually think any of the driving modes have any real effect on consumption except dynamic

Efficiency does add a bit on a steady A road when the coast feature kicks in but that’s splitting hairs really.

Enjoying it?

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Not reading the whole thread but it obviously depends on type of driving.

I'm 3k miles in and averaging 25.46mg, that's with about 90% urban and 10% long-distance.

I always disable stop/start and never use efficiency mode as I don't like coasting.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Efficiency does add a bit on a steady A road when the coast feature kicks in but that’s splitting hairs really.

Enjoying it?

I really am - it's one of my favourite cars I've ever owned, and how much I like it has been a complete surprise to me. If you gave me a fuel card, I'd put a 100k on the clock in 12 months easy, it's fun as ****

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TYb
I am surprised by this thread, my RS3 Saloon is giving me long term 26MPG - typical city driving is around 17MPG....

Which appears to be the same as most of you are getting in your S3! Don’t get me wrong if I drive it like a maniac I am looking at 12-14MPG in the city but otherwise we seem to be the same.

Motorway driving using cruise control occasionally over taking etc gives me 30ish MPG.

36mpg Oxford - Glasgow (1 tank), 70mph (or thereabouts :tongueclosed:) most of the way. Hoping for the same tomorrow!

Reactions: Scottyg
I am surprised by this thread, my RS3 Saloon is giving me long term 26MPG - typical city driving is around 17MPG....

Which appears to be the same as most of you are getting in your S3! Don’t get me wrong if I drive it like a maniac I am looking at 12-14MPG in the city but otherwise we seem to be the same.

Motorway driving using cruise control occasionally over taking etc gives me 30ish MPG.
Now I have an RS3 I was very surprised that my 20mile commute mix or roads I have been getting 30/32 mpg and the s3 was always around 29/30 on that journey

Mine will be introduced to the Autobahn in a few weeks, let's see what that does for the economy! :)

Reactions: TYb and oli356
Mine will be introduced to the Autobahn in a few weeks, let's see what that does for the economy! :)

Well as to how bad economy can get, how does 14mpg grab you? Yes, 14!

On the other hand, that was whilst V-Maxing it at 160mph. Confirmed GPS speed too so seems the limiter is a little lax. Indicated was 267km/h so over-reading by about 4%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: oli356 and Tom.H
Well as to how bad economy can get, how does 14mpg grab you? Yes, 14!

On the other hand, that was whilst V-Maxing it at 160mph. Confirmed GPS speed too so seems the limiter is a little lax. Indicated was 267km/h so over-reading by about 4%
How did it feel at those speeds?

See videos on Youtube of people in faster cars going insane speeds .. 200 mph, looks so scary haha.

How did it feel at those speeds?

See videos on Youtube of people in faster cars going insane speeds .. 200 mph, looks so scary haha.

The car itself was totally stable even at 160mph. Just felt planted.

The scary part is other traffic. This was on a two-lane Autobahn with very light traffic but you're still passing cars which are cruising at 80mph at twice their speed. You watch other traffic like a hawk, knowing that if they pull out without seeing you then you're basically dead but it doesn't happen. The Germans have exceptional lane discipline and know to look before pulling out. It takes a while to "trust" this behaviour though. Make no mistake though, 160mph is very very fast and feels it.

The S3 itself is an absolute beast on the Autobahn. Freed from worrying about speed limits you become even more aware of just how fast it is up in the triple-digit range we daren't venture into here.

It's not just about top speed runs, it's about pulling power at high speed. Most cars are running out of puff above 100mph but this thing just keeps on going. Fifth gear is my new favourite thing in the world - it'll do about 140mph and I found I stopped using kick-down completely. If I ended up stuck behind slower traffic (relative of course - still doing around 80mph) in 7th, then when it cleared I just tap the left paddle twice to drop to fifth and floor it and it just takes off. If I'm behind something particularly slow (60-70mph) then I'd even triple-tap to drop to 4th, which will do 100mph and the acceleration is hilarious.

I've been on the Autobahns plenty of times but never in something this capable and it's a game-changer. It's not just about ultimate speed, it's about acceleration. Many cars will cruise at 120-130mph top speed but will take an age to get there, so if you have to re-accelerate after slowing for other traffic, you end up with faster cars behind you wanting by and have to pull out of their way. No longer! Not much will live with the S3's acceleration at these kind of speeds so not only do you not have to defer to the guy behind you but you become that guy and the slower cars in front of you generally get out of your way (lane discipline again).

We did two top speed runs, both topped out at 267km/h indicated (had the VC in km/h mode) and 160mph actual GPS speed on a phone app so about a 4% overread by the speedo. Limiter is obviously a little lax and nice it hit 160 rather than high 150s :)

We have pics for proof :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Daveotto, Martinbanshee, TYb and 2 others
The problem is that booting it all the time after slowing for other traffic becomes addictive. 535 mile trip back yesterday and only averaged 32mpg :(

Reactions: Daveotto
For the record... :)

267kmh.jpg

Reactions: MattSedg, Martinbanshee, Daveotto and 1 other person