S3 Realistic MPG

Can’t believe people are getting so many miles to a tank my cars 80% in dynamic but I switch the box to D when just driving normally. best of both worlds. To me if you are having to worry about mpg then don’t buy a S3. If mine needs filling up it needs filling I don’t care much for what mpg it gets it’s not why I bought the car

Reactions: davc, sve170, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
Can’t believe people are getting so many miles to a tank my cars 80% in dynamic but I switch the box to D when just driving normally. best of both worlds. To me if you are having to worry about mpg then don’t buy a S3. If mine needs filling up it needs filling I don’t care much for what mpg it gets it’s not why I bought the car

I didn't buy an S3 with fuel economy in mind either but if I have to do tedious commutes to work in traffic there's no reason to burn money for nothing.

Reactions: MB86, Audi Bairn, allanmb and 4 others

I certainly did buy the S3 with fuel economy in mind.
For many, and me included, their car has a more mundane job to do a lot of the time. A seperate “playtime” car would be great but 2 cars is not practical for me.
The S3 ticks both boxes - for everyday use and the commute to work, it goes in E (most of the time) and gives a sensible 30 odd MPG.
And when I fancy, it’s in Dynamic and hide the MPG display.
You can have your cake and eat it!!

Reactions: sgtvic, Audi Bairn, alpesh26 and 4 others
I didn't buy an S3 with fuel economy in mind either but if I have to do tedious commutes to work in traffic there's no reason to burn money for nothing.

Exactly. Heavy traffic in dynamic mode is a bit thirsty. Efficiency seems to help with the low speed stop start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: pburv
For many, and me included, their car has a more mundane job to do a lot of the time. A seperate “playtime” car would be great but 2 cars is not practical for me.
The S3 ticks both boxes - for everyday use and the commute to work, it goes in E (most of the time) and gives a sensible 30 odd MPG.

These are my thoughts too. I have a 25 mile commute, about 22 of those miles are on the m6 and the rest through town. I wouldnt be leaving it in dynamic whilst driving it through town...look like a proper tit with it revving and only going 15mph!

Does the S3 have an 'Auto' drive select mode? My A5 does and it sorts itself out, power when I need it and efficiency when not.

Drive select does have Auto setting, but not really used it, so not sure how well it works.
I’ve set my steering wheel function button to change drive select - quick and easy to change when you want.

Reactions: DW81 and alpesh26
I bought the S3 with fuel economy in mind too. I wanted a fast car that had good economy. In my opinion the S3 is the perfect balance. For example, one of the cars I was looking at was the 5.0 Mustang until I found it has crap economy and is slower than the S3!

Reactions: DW81 and alpesh26
These are my thoughts too. I have a 25 mile commute, about 22 of those miles are on the m6 and the rest through town. I wouldnt be leaving it in dynamic whilst driving it through town...look like a proper tit with it revving and only going 15mph!

Does the S3 have an 'Auto' drive select mode? My A5 does and it sorts itself out, power when I need it and efficiency when not.

It does have auto and it definitely does adjust to your driving style, so if you start flooring it the gearbox will hold gears longer etc, it’s never quite as violent as dynamic though and auto never engages the coast mode like efficiency does.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Flying Pig
If I have it in dynamic but switch the s tronic to Drive I still get the noise and throttle response I need with out it taking too long to change up and needlessly burn fuel. Tbh I notice no difference between modes doing this

Reactions: Audi Bairn

I understand this and for me it’s also my only car. Iv done 14.5k miles since March all I’m saying is I can understand not wasting money etc what I’m saying is I can’t see the point in having such a car and not being able to enjoy it when you feel like it because of not wanting to fill it up again or effiency. Ps I’m not saying you do this I’m just saying in general

Reactions: Audi Bairn, sve170, BigBill and 2 others
If I have it in dynamic but switch the s tronic to Drive I still get the noise and throttle response I need with out it taking too long to change up and needlessly burn fuel. Tbh I notice no difference between modes doing this

Yes I do that sometimes and then a quick nudge of the gear selector to S for roundabouts and junctions where I want a quick response and no start/stop. Auto does seem more fuel economic than dynamic D for me though and of course I can still quickly select S. You could just set up “individual “ as you want it for noise etc.

Yes I do that sometimes and then a quick nudge of the gear selector to S for roundabouts and junctions where I want a quick response and no start/stop. Auto does seem more fuel economic than dynamic D for me though and of course I can still quickly select S. You could just set up “individual “ as you want it for noise etc.
Actually after reading this thread yesterday I have been using auto instead of comfort and I find a good happy medium between dynamic and comfort.

da7be8689d09f49e1fc202551b905414.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: lucaslfc
Started a new job last week, very happy with my new commute so far. It’s around 30 miles each way, but on flowing 50/60mph A roads making 41+ mpg possible without even trying!
99254a466a41e6fc1e511fa9350b38ef.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: oli356
Blimey that's insane.
When I was in my mums A1 earlier I checked her mpg, she does very few miles (like 15K since 2011), the long term computer was only over 1300 miles but averaged 34 mpg. Nice to know people in S3s can get better (albeit not a fair comparison as her journeys are very short but forget that) :grinning:

I pushed the button on a well specced nearly new S3...was loving the noise it makes when you switch the engine on!

Reactions: davc
Ha! Can't wait for it! The spec is similar to yours but mine doesnt have advanced key and high beam assist and is a black edition

A lot of people think advanced key is a security risk anyway. I just childishly love pressing the button. Gets me every time. High beam assist isn’t that useful unless you do a lot of dark country roads.

A lot of people think advanced key is a security risk anyway. I just childishly love pressing the button. Gets me every time. High beam assist isn’t that useful unless you do a lot of dark country roads.

Yep, thats why I didn't want advanced key. I have high beam assist on my current A5, can't say i've ever used it! I will miss the refinement of the A5 but the S3 is so much more fun

Yep, thats why I didn't want advanced key. I have high beam assist on my current A5, can't say i've ever used it! I will miss the refinement of the A5 but the S3 is so much more fun

It is a lot of fun. Although I've had my car for just over a year I still get excited to drive to work on a Monday morning at 0530 -that takes some doing.

Reactions: alpesh26
I do a thousand miles a month, 800 of them are commuting, it's in economy and carefully driven for 800 of them. The rest I'm lucky to get 15MPG.

Evening use, and weekends it's always in Dynamic, but if it's a commute it's in economy.

I'd rather set off 5 mins earlier every day and get home 5 mins earlier to save £40 of fuel a month. Makes the car feel a little bit more special when you do hammer it too, especially with the res delete, the pops and bangs get a little too... repetitive if you always have it in dynamic.

Personal preference? I love sitting at 60mph on the motorway with cruise control and some banging tunes watching everyone rush by :)

Reactions: Jassyo06, pburv, oli356 and 1 other person
I do a thousand miles a month, 800 of them are commuting, it's in economy and carefully driven for 800 of them. The rest I'm lucky to get 15MPG.

Evening use, and weekends it's always in Dynamic, but if it's a commute it's in economy.

I'd rather set off 5 mins earlier every day and get home 5 mins earlier to save £40 of fuel a month. Makes the car feel a little bit more special when you do hammer it too, especially with the res delete, the pops and bangs get a little too... repetitive if you always have it in dynamic.

Personal preference? I love sitting at 60mph on the motorway with cruise control and some banging tunes watching everyone rush by :)
While I agree with everything you say, I couldn't sit on a motorway at 60 (assuming weather is good and traffic is flowing). Rather cruise at 80 ish... though I'm not the BMW driver who is on half a foot from someones rear wanting to go 100+ lol.

60 though you are getting overtaken by lorries almost!

Reactions: DW81 and Audi Bairn
While I agree with everything you say, I couldn't sit on a motorway at 60 (assuming weather is good and traffic is flowing). Rather cruise at 80 ish... though I'm not the BMW driver who is on half a foot from someones rear wanting to go 100+ lol.

60 though you are getting overtaken by lorries almost!
Used to be the one at 100 wanting to go faster when I had my GTI. I've grown up a bit since and I'm quite happy just relaxing now instead, heated seats on, aircon, good music, digital dash, leather seats, arm rest :)

57mph is what the lorries sit at :) so that is what I sit at, I don't have ACC, so 57mph means I don't really have to slow down or overtake

Reactions: Jassyo06
It ain’t just BMW’s. I got near goosed by an A3 this morning. Dual carriageway..... I’m patiently following one HGV doing 56MPH who’s overtaking another HGV doing 55 1/2 MPH. I look in the mirror to see tell tale A3 lights steaming up behind me. Up my chuff, weaving from side to side looking for another lane that’s not there....over the rumble strip....perhaps he’s gonna squeeze thru between me and the Armco? Gesturing at me to someohow squeeze under it or perhaps I should levitate over it??????
As the lorry finally pulls over, I’m tempted, very tempted but I gently accelerate, overtake the lorry and gently slide over to let my friend with one tail pipe and no badge zoom off into the distance
#selfcontrol

Reactions: Dannymoto, Jassyo06, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
It ain’t just BMW’s. I got near goosed by an A3 this morning. Dual carriageway..... I’m patiently following one HGV doing 56MPH who’s overtaking another HGV doing 55 1/2 MPH. I look in the mirror to see tell tale A3 lights steaming up behind me. Up my chuff, weaving from side to side looking for another lane that’s not there....over the rumble strip....perhaps he’s gonna squeeze thru between me and the Armco? Gesturing at me to someohow squeeze under it or perhaps I should levitate over it??????
As the lorry finally pulls over, I’m tempted, very tempted but I gently accelerate, overtake the lorry and gently slide over to let my friend with one tail pipe and no badge zoom off into the distance
#selfcontrol

Someone get this man a ***** badge!!!

I had a 1L ford fiesta with a acne ridden 10 year old in it with a baseball cap on undertake me yesterday and the last thing he saw was my 4 tailpipes and S3 badge leaving off into the distance. ha

Someone get this man a ***** badge!!!

I had a 1L ford fiesta with a acne ridden 10 year old in it with a baseball cap on undertake me yesterday and the last thing he saw was my 4 tailpipes and S3 badge leaving off into the distance. ha

I find chav’d up fiestas are the worse for trying undertakes etc, it’s almost like they see it as a challenge and believe that their fiesta could in fact be quicker than an S3.

Nothing against fiestas as a car, partner is currently looking at the latest and it is very nice to be fair.

Well yeah doesn't really matter on the car.. just the driver.

Had a kind of people carrier van on the A11 a couple of weeks ago... male driver and I assume his 2 kids (teenagers). Traffic was around 60mph and he is right up on my *** with all 3 of them making hand gestures and stuff - i was like, wtf do you want me to go. I want to go faster than 60 too but there's cars in front.

I wanted him off my *** though and once the road cleared up I quickly created some distance :)

The whole weaving from side to side of the outside lane is ridiculous though.... had my worst experience of this when driving through Belgium though (was actually a BMW on this occasion, I couldn't see either of his lights in my rear view, only sides... he was ridiculously close).

Mostly 24mpg. If I'm sat in traffic a lot, 19mpg.

Some of you lot need to get a grip of yourselves *** lol. Economy, coasting, start/stop. Utter profanity!

Plus driving at HGV speeds is boring and dangerous as one could fall asleep at the wheel.

My S3 spends most of its time in lane 3 tanking it lol.

Oh look there's another kn0b in an Audi
:blackrs4:

Seriously though I hardly ever use the mpg display on the DIS, only smiles to empty and the oil temp; however it generally does about 28 mpg if I'm just cutting about locally and 33 on the m'way if driving sensibly.

I took my mate for a blast in it the other day and got 80 miles from half a tank lmao.

Reactions: Rayner_1704, Audi Bairn and Flying Pig

What are you going on about? MPG is an important consideration in any daily vehicle. I'd love to see how you felt after spending a year in London, bumper to bumper in traffic getting 13mpg. I'm sure you'd see things very differently.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and oli356
What are you going on about? MPG is an important consideration in any daily vehicle. I'd love to see how you felt after spending a year in London, bumper to bumper in traffic getting 13mpg. I'm sure you'd see things very differently.
I travel through bradford everyday bumper to bumper I get roughly 17mpg on my way to work. It really doesn’t bother me if I was worried about fuel cost I’d of got a diesel... I understand for everyone it may not be the same as everyone’s different. Saying that I had an evo 9 before the 2 S3s and that thing in traffic was in single figures 8/9mpg but the fun and power made up for it. Iv never had a car god on fuel so to me it’s become the normal.

I travel through bradford everyday bumper to bumper I get roughly 17mpg on my way to work. It really doesn’t bother me if I was worried about fuel cost I’d of got a diesel... I understand for everyone it may not be the same as everyone’s different. Saying that I had an evo 9 before the 2 S3s and that thing in traffic was in single figures 8/9mpg but the fun and power made up for it. Iv never had a car god on fuel so to me it’s become the normal.

You don't seem to understand that people may be different though, even though you say you do. In your original post you suggest that if you're concerned about MPG, you shouldn't get an S3. Which is, frankly, a bit stupid. When I bought my first large saloon, I was concerned about parking in London - "if you're concerned about street parking spaces, don't get a saloon". Or I could just get the car anyway, because I really like it, and it has a ton of positives, surely?

You're playing gatekeeper. There's a whole subreddit dedicated to it.

When I had the S3 (Manual) I was getting around 31 mpg just doing short journeys to and from work/in and out of town, mainly 30 and 40 speed limits with a very short blast on the motorway. The A5 is booked at 43.5 mpg urban, so I was expecting to use less fuel weekly, but doing the same trips I'm getting 27.5 mpg!!! That has to be down to the s-tronic going up and down the box around town or the fact that I've switched to normal petrol rather than the super stuff!!!

I'm ****** terrified about what MPG I'm going to get. Diesels are only cheaper above a certain annual mileage, which I don't meet. I have a 435D Xdrive, and drive 99% around central London, and I've averaged 32mpg over 12,000 miles.

If I can get the S3 to manage 25mg, I'll be very happy, but from being on here, I think I'm being extremely optimistic.

MPG is an important consideration in any daily vehicle.

To some people, but not all. I'm lucky that it makes no odds to me whether I get 20, 30 or 40 mpg.

Reactions: Tom.H, Rayner_1704 and BigBill
But if you started getting 3, you'd suddenly care.

It's a really ridiculous statement to make.

To be fair, you're not in any position to know what I care about or not.
The only thing ridiculous is you coming on here telling people you're right and they're wrong.

Reactions: Rayner_1704 and davc
Sorry pal, but it's most certainly ridiculous. Objectively so. If you started getting 1mpg from your car, you'd care. What you're actually saying is that there's an MPG range you're comfortable with. Well, no s**t. Everyone's range is different, but everyone has a range. You even explicitly outlined your range in your original response to me.

You'd have to be a very strange fellow to not care about the fuel efficiency of a vehicle. Especially given the effect it has on air quality and peoples' health. Not to mention costs.

The only time this doesn't matter is if you've got a fuel card with your work.

Sorry pal, but it's most certainly ridiculous. Objectively so. If you started getting 1mpg from your car, you'd care. What you're actually saying is that there's an MPG range you're comfortable with. Well, no s**t. Everyone's range is different, but everyone has a range. You even explicitly outlined your range in your original response to me.

You'd have to be a very strange fellow to not care about the fuel efficiency of a vehicle. Especially given the effect it has on air quality and peoples' health. Not to mention costs.

The only time this doesn't matter is if you've got a fuel card with your work.
You're getting boring now.
I don't care FACT!
Maybe I lived in a one bed flat in say Sheperds Bush that cost me way over the odds rather than building my own rural property making a killing into the bargain I'd bother more, but I don't.
Just off to get the Lambo out of the garage as the butler is on holiday and go for a drive just to burn some fuel.
Nighty night!

Reactions: Rayner_1704