S3 mpg

So are all cars to be honest but at least the s3 gets up to running temperature very quickly (exhaust heating the coolant). It takes a good 15 miles or so of driving before the oil is at operating temperature and that makes a difference to the economy as well (although not as much)

I always wait for the oil to be at least at 80° before properly driving. I see a massive difference in mpg when it isn't at operating temperature. Never cared about the coolant as it gets heated up very quickly.

Reactions: Damo S and Ron240
I would agree with above.....coolant temperature means pretty much nothing because all modern cars heat up very quickly, it's oil temperature that really matters.

Anyway my drive home tonight, gearbox reverted back to D and behaving as far as I could tell the same as it does when set to Auto in my individual settings.
Which makes me wonder what is the point of setting it to Dynamic in the first place?
Mpg was 26.4 compared with 22.6 for the same journey earlier this afternoon.

Last edited:
@Ron240 I suppose the outside temperature would make a difference though right? Mornings being colder generally so worse mpg anyway.

I think I had one of my worst commutes on way home though. I got home after the 8 ish miles on exactly 20 mpg. Was snowing so took 53 minutes. . Zzz... It was 13 mpg after half hour as had only done a couple of miles. Once you start moving it can go up quickly but journey wasn't long enough for it to go up that much.

@Ron240 I suppose the outside temperature would make a difference though right? Mornings being colder generally so worse mpg anyway.
Yes, although it was actually much colder when I had my better mpg. :) The main difference was gearbox in D compared to S from earlier in the day, but still in Dynamic.
I am wondering what is the point of setting it to Dynamic when the gearbox appears to behave the same as when it is set to Auto?