S3 Realistic MPG

alpesh26

Reaction score
Possibly looking at swapping my 2.0tdi quattro A5 sportback in for an S3...what MPG are you getting from yours?

I know its not going to be the most economical of cars, but want to check if the running costs would at least be reasonable as I will be doing 15k a year in it

TIA

31mpg mix of a roads town and motorway

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: alpesh26
lots of MPG threads on here if you care to search

30- 32 mpg is fairly typical, my Sportback long term was 32 and my current Saloon 31 with a mix of motorway and town, but more heavy footed folk claim mid 20's

Reactions: Jimbo10, Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
19-21 around town, max 23 around town driving very eco friendly . Long journey at a steady pace at 65-70mph about 35-38mpg. This is what I get considering I’m running at stage 2 power level.

Town driving around 22 on a long run motorway possible 38-40 and long journey but mix of town and steady constant speed about 26-29.

In context £58-£68 full tanks depending on fuel.
Hard driving I get between 200-230 miles
Eco driving best Iv seen is 330 miles but I have. A heavy foot most days

I have had mine since March and done 14k

Reactions: Rolly12
My latest from fuelly... just got 32mpg on my way back down the M4 from Heathrow for what it's worth.

Capture

32 same as my waist size in inches,initially l thought the face lift car was more frugal but its not

Reactions: pburv, Rolly12, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
My long term average over 7,500 miles is 31.1 mpg which is a 70/30 mixture of long trips vs town. The town mpg is dreadful but for long trips (if you are careful) then it is possible to get over 40 mpg.

IMG 1976

Reactions: lledwoc, pburv and Audi Bairn
Average after 13k is 34.9 mpg, it’s dropped slightly during the cold spell.

80% motorway miles. Mine is a facelift 3dr stronic. I don’t know what the weight differences are but expect the 3 door to be the lightest of them all.

Reactions: pburv
Constant 60mph you can do 38 on motorway.

Around town I get 20 for first 10 mins. Then when fully warm can get 28 if driven slowly.

Driving it hard when warm can do 23 around town.

My driving mainly consists of a 36 mile round trip commute on faster back roads / villages.
As n
Many of the guys above, I get 30 - 32 mpg according to the on board computer which means the reality is a bit less. Better to do a brim to brim measurement. Doing this I get 28 - 30 mpg.

At the top end, I've had 41 mpg on a 3.5 hour drive up the A9 at constant 60 or 70 mph under average speed camera conditions most of the way.

Kicking the a**e out of it you'll see sub 20 mpg, but it is fun.

Reactions: pburv, Jassyo06, alpesh26 and 1 other person
Cheers for the replies

Hmm, it doesnt seem that bad on fuel to be honest, my A5 averages 37mpg in warmer weather and im currently getting 33mpg in the cold weather (this is worked out properly, not what the DIS says)...both figures are pretty poor for a diesel! My old 1.9TDI A4 used consistently give me 45mpg, 50mpg on a long run

I wanted a second car for having a bit of fun with, but I dont have the space for it plus i'd have to tax, insure and all the other costs so i'm thinking having one 'fast' motor that I can use as a daily

Reactions: Audi Bairn and pburv
32 same as my waist size in inches,initially l thought the face lift car was more frugal but its not
32 waste size.......Yeah right! lol
I'm averaging 27 mpg on short journeys to and from work and running around on weekends.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Audi Bairn
Only had mine for a month, and my average is 19-20 mpg so far. On my daily commute to the office, a 5-10 min drive through town it averages 10-15 mpg which I must say has me a little worried. As others have said though, once warmed up it does improve. Never seen anywhere near 30 around town though, maybe it will improve once it’s got a few miles on it? Only done 450 Miles so far

FYI I don’t drive it particularly hard, and it’s normally in “auto” mode.

Only had mine for a month, and my average is 19-20 mpg so far. On my daily commute to the office, a 5-10 min drive through town it averages 10-15 mpg which I must say has me a little worried. As others have said though, once warmed up it does improve. Never seen anywhere near 30 around town though, maybe it will improve once it’s got a few miles on it? Only done 450 Miles so far

FYI I don’t drive it particularly hard, and it’s normally in “auto” mode.

I'm getting the same figures, i've had mine since October. I drive a 7 mile round trip to work (20 mins round trip) and generically use 20 mile of fuel getting around 20-22 mpg

6 mile round trip for me and maybe some sporting action here and there and i average 26mpg

Calculated with brim-to-brim fill-ups.
Ave: 31mpg
Best: 40.09mpg
Worst: 26mpg

I do mostly town driving and getting above 30 is ****** good! To put it in context, my 2.0TDI Quattro A4 gave 40.61mpg on ave. And my 3.2 Quattro A4 gave an ave of 24.79mpg and I used to do a lot more motorway driving in the 3.2. Compared to the 3.2, the S3 has quite a bit more power, much better acceleration and better fuel economy :-D

I get an average of 350-400 miles per tank. Never worked out the MPG, as don't really care. Is what it is.

I get an average of 350-400 miles per tank. Never worked out the MPG, as don't really care. Is what it is.

This is bang on what I get from my A5 TDI! The A5 is heavy though

Well, it's taken a dive recently because of the weather and I've been driving it a bit more aggressively... so I'm in the 23-26mpg mark currently. Best I've had is 44mpg and 430 miles from a tank. Never had it drop below 23mpg on a tank though.

This is bang on what I get from my A5 TDI! The A5 is heavy though
You must have something wrong with your car I suspect as that is fairly poor mpg from a 2.0 TDI. Most of my driving is around town local trips less than 10 miles and it returns around 33mpg this time of the year. Took it on a run to Aberystwyth Saturday 3 adults and a whole boot full of stuff. 80 mph on the motorway and it returned 44mpg over the 230 mile round trip. My car is an A4 B8 380 bhp 3.0 TDI quattro with a hybrid turbo.
Looks like an S3 won't be costing you much more in fuel than the A5 though so one less reason not to switch.

Reactions: pburv and alpesh26
This is what I got on my drive to work this morning. I had been getting about 42 mpg during the Summer but the mpg is not so good this Winter. This may be a combination of Winter tyres, high electrical demand and the fact the car is due an oil change. This drive is 10 miles of urban/suburban and 67 miles of motorway/dual carriageway A-road.

Urban mpg can be as low as 8-10mpg when the car is cold (and presumably running on a rich mixture) to around 20-23mpg. It most certainly is not a city car!

IMG 1981 copy

Last edited:
Reactions: pburv, Audi Bairn and Mark_86
25k miles, manual S3.
average 32.4mpg with an average speed 43mph, all fast A road and motorway with no start stop driving.

You must have something wrong with your car I suspect as that is fairly poor mpg from a 2.0 TDI. Most of my driving is around town local trips less than 10 miles and it returns around 33mpg this time of the year. Took it on a run to Aberystwyth Saturday 3 adults and a whole boot full of stuff. 80 mph on the motorway and it returned 44mpg over the 230 mile round trip. My car is an A4 B8 380 bhp 3.0 TDI quattro with a hybrid turbo.
Looks like an S3 won't be costing you much more in fuel than the A5 though so one less reason not to switch.

I wouldnt be surprised if something is wrong with it tbh, its drinking ad blue too! If the figures are the same the S3 is a no brainer...insurance might be another issue with them being desireable to theives :confounded:

My average for mostly local driving over 11,800 miles was 25.11MPG.

Total cost of that mileage is £2,712.70..... running on supreme fuel every tank and mainly V Power.

I wish my MPG was the same as my waist size - I would have saved many ££££££s :tearsofjoy:

Averaging 31 MPG over 13500 miles with about 85%+ longer journeys on A class roads however where I live these tend to be pretty hilly and twisty where the engine has to work fairly hard even when driving sedately. I'm more than happy with that as fuel consumption was not a really a consideration when choosing the S3.

Reactions: AudiNutta, Audi Bairn, pburv and 2 others
What is the best mode for economy. I’m assuming economy? How about the second best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What is the best mode for economy. I’m assuming economy? How about the second best

I rarely use economy as I don’t like the coast feature when on a busy motorway feature.

Mine is predominantly in individual which I have set up as auto except sound which is set to dynamic.

I use "Auto" most of the time, dynamic if I want some fun. I don't like Economy; the car feels powerless and the coast feature is horrible. I have found minimal difference between Auto and Economy in terms of fuel efficiency.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, pburv and TYb
Even in Dynamic the 'D' changes up too fast, and 'S' changes up too slow! 'M' is the best for driving I find, even for economy.

Reactions: davc and pburv
Even in Dynamic the 'D' changes up too fast, and 'S' changes up too slow! 'M' is the best for driving I find, even for economy.
Totally agree.I'm finding I am using 'm' more often than when I first had the car..I like having it in dynamic but feel a right plonker with high revs driving in town lol:racer:

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jassyo06

"Efficiency" is the economy mode. I never use it. Tried it when I first got the car and it's weird with the "freewheeling" in S Tronic. Didn't buy an S3 to be economic personally.

Reactions: pburv and sve170
Just over 13,000 since new, mainly short town drives.
Overall average is showing 21mpg but for very short drives slow drives it has been as low as 10 mpg.
Never been driven in Eco, usually Auto but change to Dynamic at various times in the week, drives much better in Dynamic as well.
Certainly did not by the S3 for MPG or Eco.
Anyone on here trying to get loads of MPG has bought the wrong car, get out there and give it a blast through some country back roads you will love it, the car loves it, MPG what’s that all about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: josul and Audi Bairn
Just over 13,000 since new, mainly short town drives.
Overall average is showing 21mpg but for very short drives slow drives it has been as low as 10 mpg.
Never been driven in Eco, usually Auto but change to Dynamic at various times in the week, drives much better in Dynamic as well.
Certainly did not by the S3 for MPG or Eco.
Anyone on here trying to get loads of MPG has bought the wrong car, get out there and give it a blast through some country back roads you will love it, the car loves it, MPG what’s that all about.
I try to go for the best of both worlds... diddling around town on my commute I don't mind being in efficiency mode and coasting, to be fair I like it... certain roads I can coast down maintaining the speed of the traffic and it works out well. It's not like there's any need to be in dynamic, not going to go anywhere... so get some better MPGs here...

And then when the roads are suitable...... DYNAMIC and not give a damn if I got 1MPG ;) !
(I'm a Jew by birth so sterotype for greed/£ and whatnot... blabla)
Capture

Reactions: Audi Bairn