S3 purchase

Spike1979

Reaction score
Hi, I’m toying with purchasing a 2012 S3 DSG black edition but I’ve always had manual transmission vehicles so was after people’s opinions who own an S3 with DSG transmission and how they rate them for driving/performance.

Thanks in advance

they're amazing.
i'm surprised on how reliable they can be. the 6 speed dsg on the S3 is quite tough, it can hold up a good amount of torque, and it can be well impoved with a remap.

Reactions: Spike1979
No one can tell you if you will like it, you just have to try it. Bit like Marmite

Once you own a dsg for a while you’ll never look back imo.

Reactions: roberto., Mark A Greenwood, mechanic69 and 2 others
Once you own a dsg for a while you’ll never look back imo.

I have a manual but wish I'd purchased DSG

I have to agree.

I bought mine as a manual and whilst it was good fun and reliable even with more torque,it really doesn’t compare to DSG.

I had mine converted to a DQ500 box at Storm Developments and the car is transformed into something way more driveable as well as much quicker.

Reactions: Spike1979 and samuelh_888
They are wonderful. Seamless gear changes, in fact in auto mode you don't even know what gear you are in unless you look at the display. Wish I could fit one on my Westfield track car.

Reactions: S3Alex and Spike1979
I made the jump from manual to DSG 6 months back. Honestly, I will never go back. Effortless to drive, smooth shifts and as already said... you will never want to go back once you try it.
I drove a manual few week after i got mine and i thought it was a big step down. Performance is noticably better in DSG, even though figures only very slightly differ.
For the current world we live in, with volume of traffic etc. DSG makes so much more sense.
And the farts are just the icing on the cake.
Give both a go and see how you feel.
Both still great cars.

Cheers guys, a bit on the fence with the whole auto/DSG transmission as always had manuals so I’m quite intrigued now. Thanks for your views and opinions, appreciate it.

Cheers guys, a bit on the fence with the whole auto/DSG transmission as always had manuals so I’m quite intrigued now. Thanks for your views and opinions, appreciate it.

I was the same until I got my DSG a few years back. You have to learn how to use it, rethink how you drive try and forget all those years driving with a clutch.

Love mine will never go back, the technology is awesome and with a remap for 2 or 3 hundred quid transforms the standard map which is pretty crap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Spike1979 and AndyWin
I was the same until I got my DSG a few years back. You have to learn how to use it, rethink how you drive try and forget all those years driving with a clutch.

Love mine will never go back, the technology is awesome and with a remap for 2 or 3 hundred quid transforms the standard map which is pretty ****.

Very true. A simple stage 1 adds a lot more smiles in a DSG than with a manual.

Reactions: Spike1979 and Mark A Greenwood
:disappointed: not a thread I want to follow!

I got my S3 in manual as after years of the auto family wagon I missed the manual. Hindsight ah

Reactions: S3Alex

Love mine will never go back, the technology is awesome and with a remap for 2 or 3 hundred quid transforms the standard map which is pretty ****.

That’s what I’m a little worried about, not being able to drive it properly especially after all the years of driving manual cars. Just out of interested what’s a good remap?

A3’s/S3’3 are very remappable motors and are built very well to take it. You can go 1,2,2+ and even further. Thee are many mappers out the but many members on here swear by Revo who produce maps designed especially for the car they are working on producing Hp and torque that the car will handle best.

The dilemma is do I trade my Merc CLA 180 AMG in for one.... decisions decisions. Cheers guys

It's going to be a rocket ship after driving your CLA whichever gearbox you settle on. Find an Audi dealer and try both versions of the S3, only you can make your mind which is best for you.

That’s what I’m a little worried about, not being able to drive it properly especially after all the years of driving manual cars. Just out of interested what’s a good remap?

You’ve got to let go of the thinking that a DSG is like a bog standard auto box where you select one mode and then just drive. When you learn to use it it as versatile as a manual. I’m forever flicking between sport drive and manual depending on the situation. There is no lifting off power like in a manual just keep you foot in and the speed of the shifts is seamless, no brainier in my book

Reactions: AndyWin, S3Alex and Spike1979
One other thing to think about is that the DSG bow will always preselects the next gear depending on what the car is doing. Whenever you you lift off it wants to present a higher gear, if you are foot in it preselects a lower gear. It also depends on whether you are slowing down or accelerating.

This is what I mean by learning to drive a DSG in manual, you can make the gearbox preselects the gear you want next by the position of your foot and the speed up or down of the car.

When I first got mine I always used to lift off in manual when changing gear and it was crap but you don’t need to lift off when changing gear like you learnt in a manual

Muffin said, rant over

Reactions: AndyWin and Spike1979
Revo maps lag behind the others now as they stopped 8P development sone years ago.

If you want to go off the shelf, then APR is the current choice - they continue to develop the product.

Alternatively there is the customer mapping options, where the software is written specifically for your vehicle. This isn't an exclusive list but those that receive favourable feedback here include R-Tech, Unicorn, AMD Essex, Storm and more.

Again there is others available both plug-n-play and custom.

Reactions: S3Alex
I have APR stage 2+ and am quite happy with it. Less hardcore than a custom map.
A custom map will be cheaper and it will be tuned to extract the most from your particular car depending on the hardware you have installed.
An APR map is hardware related but not fine tuned to your particular car.
Watch out for APR software sales with bank holidays or the show season coming up.

Reactions: Spike1979 and samuelh_888
Gutted, the one I was going to see/get today sold yesterday, typical seen as its been up for sale all week & the only day I can go..... Not much going either but will keep looking. Cheers.

Last edited:
£15,495 for a 2010 plate with 4 owners, full service & 25,000 miles good or steep price??

Low miles - what is the service history like? It’s probably due a cambelt change (and waterpump at the same time) if it hasn’t already been changed. Check the service book - there’s been a few owners so make sure it’s up to date. Bit pricey imo but it is low miles.

Low miles - what is the service history like? It’s probably due a cambelt change (and waterpump at the same time) if it hasn’t already been changed. Check the service book - there’s been a few owners so make sure it’s up to date. Bit pricey imo but it is low miles.
Not seen it yet, but wants £1k plus my car as part ex but just thought not worth it so may leave it