RS3 8Y General Discussion Thread.

It struck me today with the windows down and going down a built up street how little noise was echoing off the buildings, the Daza 67 plate would literally stop half the people on the street because of its roar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unfortunately the days of great sounding cars is coming to an end fast . Would you consider another 8V as a keeper ?

Reactions: Jcbmally and Snake Pliskin
Unfortunately the days of great sounding cars is coming to an end fast . Would you consider another 8V as a keeper ?

Nah, av had my fill of the 8V lol.

It’s a shame the 5 pot just sounds so strangled now…..

800 miles.

Single center dial for me was boring, I had it in my first S3 in 2017 so it was a nice addition to have the 'hockey puck' and runway. I run mine with the hockey puck constantly, the runway is cool but I prefer the other.

I never had an 8V RS3 so as other's have said - can't miss what you didn't know. Although I definitely think the cold start is loud enough and with the valves unplugged it's a nice level of noise under normal driving. I would like it to sound a little less strangled as T-1000 eluded to but this will be easily achievable soon.

Interior is fine for me, I had the 8Y S3 so it's not new to me and that's fine by me. Echo the thoughts about the reversing camera, the quality is not what I'd expect. My GFs BMW which is around £25,000 less has a far superior camera.

One thing I've noticed is the exhaust note is definitely changing, there seems to be a small over-run that's starting to creep in at low speeds in 1st and 2nd gear. I of course have my valves unplugged so not sure if this is more noticeable because of this.

Reactions: kayemill, Snake Pliskin and RSt3ve
One thing I've noticed is the exhaust note is definitely changing, there seems to be a small over-run that's starting to creep in at low speeds in 1st and 2nd gear. I of course have my valves unplugged so not sure if this is more noticeable because of this.
How do you unplug them mate? Will give that a go myself!

How do you unplug them mate? Will give that a go myself!
Turn engine on > cycle to RS Performance mode/any mode that has the valves open at idle. Go to exhaust and reach up and unplug the valve on both sides. Voila

Reactions: Mastachaz, Alexlfc17 and kayemill
*** not what I want to hear @Snake Pliskin what do you say mate?

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

I get where Sean is coming from - but he is coming from a slightly different route to me.
His last car was a great sounding 8v so the comparison will be less dramatic in terms of the 8y sound.
Absolutely agree the 8Y is considerably more muted compared to our glorious 8V RS3's.
That said, I moved away to the A45s as you know and OMG if we are talking Hoovers that takes the top prize.
Seriously ... start that thing up and I might as well have been in a Fiesta 1.0 litre popular - zero start up drama and nothing at all below 3,500 rpm.
The ONLY time you would hear any drama is when you take it for a thrash and I mean a serious thrashing to get any kind of sound out of it.
At least with 8Y RS3 you do get great cold start sound and if you give it some beans you even get noise from 1,000 rpm.
So whilst the sound does not compare to the 8V it most certainly is a significant improvement over the Merc and I believe is the best we will get in this sector.

With regards the Virtual cockpit display - as others have noted, I never had the last one (having a pre face lift car) so I am quite happy with the screen layout.
The reverse camera is probably my biggest gripe - it is shocking.
B&O is excellent now its bedded in so really enjoying that.
Fit and finish of the car is superb.
I do miss no contrast stitching but I love the honeycomb pattern (it looks proper RS to me) and the seats are incredibly comfortable & supportive.
Dynamically the car is great to drive and I think the exterior styling is flipping superb - from any angle.

So whilst there is some dilution from the 8v in terms of sound, overall it is still a great car IMO and has moved the game on in many other areas.

@T-1000 unless you buy an older car not sure what your best move would be mate.
a Tesla will have zero sound at all and only go marginally quicker than the RS3.
New BMW M2 could be an option but again sound could be an issue ?

Reactions: Jcbmally, 3vans, Jay 1234 and 3 others
My neighbours are going to love me when mine finally arrives as my current car has a titanium exhaust which is very loud on cold-start.

****** OFPs are a PITA. :(

• Haha
Reactions: Daggerit
I get where Sean is coming from - but he is coming from a slightly different route to me.
His last car was a great sounding 8v so the comparison will be less dramatic in terms of the 8y sound.
Absolutely agree the 8Y is considerably more muted compared to our glorious 8V RS3's.
That said, I moved away to the A45s as you know and OMG if we are talking Hoovers that takes the top prize.
Seriously ... start that thing up and I might as well have been in a Fiesta 1.0 litre popular - zero start up drama and nothing at all below 3,500 rpm.
The ONLY time you would hear any drama is when you take it for a thrash and I mean a serious thrashing to get any kind of sound out of it.
At least with 8Y RS3 you do get great cold start sound and if you give it some beans you even get noise from 1,000 rpm.
So whilst the sound does not compare to the 8V it most certainly is a significant improvement over the Merc and I believe is the best we will get in this sector.

With regards the Virtual cockpit display - as others have noted, I never had the last one (having a pre face lift car) so I am quite happy with the screen layout.
The reverse camera is probably my biggest gripe - it is shocking.
B&O is excellent now its bedded in so really enjoying that.
Fit and finish of the car is superb.
I do miss no contrast stitching but I love the honeycomb pattern (it looks proper RS to me) and the seats are incredibly comfortable & supportive.
Dynamically the car is great to drive and I think the exterior styling is flipping superb - from any angle.

So whilst there is some dilution from the 8v in terms of sound, overall it is still a great car IMO and has moved the game on in many other areas.

@T-1000 unless you buy an older car not sure what your best move would be mate.
a Tesla will have zero sound at all and only go marginally quicker than the RS3.
New BMW M2 could be an option but again sound could be an issue ?
M2 are worse sounding, I went from rs3 to m2 competition and sold it after 8 months and back in a RS3. Just missed the sound!

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
M2 are worse sounding, I went from rs3 to m2 competition and sold it after 8 months and back in a RS3. Just missed the sound!

Yep, I had an LCI M2 and while slower than the comp, it sounded great. - arugably the best sounding BMW for a long time.

I test drove an M2 comp and ended up buying my non OPF M4cp and had the MPE before I collected it.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and billymc92
Got mine first thing this morning off a trailer and when the guy jumped in and started it up I was very surprised at how quiet it was.
Much quieter than the Mrs car on start up M140 which has a lovely growl.
Good if you don't want to wake the neighbours up I suppose but could definitely be a bit louder.

Got mine first thing this morning off a trailer and when the guy jumped in and started it up I was very surprised at how quiet it was.
Much quieter than the Mrs car on start up M140 which has a lovely growl.
Good if you don't want to wake the neighbours up I suppose but could definitely be a bit louder.

cold start is pretty impressive - had some great garage cold starts in the tail of the winter. It does quickly quieten down though - unless you pop it into Individual or performance.

Nah, av had my fill of the 8V lol.

It’s a shame the 5 pot just sounds so strangled now…..

If you’re making that comparison you were always going to be disappointed… cannot get away from the opf on new cars - they are all strangled

I do echo the sentiments that there’s something just not quite sure what that doesn’t sit right for me too.

It’s great. A fun weapon. As an opf car there aren’t many opf cars that sound better. Grip is great. It’s fun to play with and pivots superbly. Front end feels great. Looks great and draws lots of (good) attention.

Not sure what it is but it’s perhaps not quite as special as it should be for the money, perhaps.

My only real gripe is how much body movement you get in hard acceleration/braking. The body really moves around quite a bit so takes a bit of getting used to. The ride is superb though so cannot complain too much!!

My only real gripe is how much body movement you get in hard acceleration/braking. The body really moves around quite a bit so takes a bit of getting used to. The ride is superb though so cannot complain too much!!
I had that yesterday whilst leaving a slightly concave roundabout in Performance mode on full throttle, very twitchy to say the least almost as if the ESC was working over time to correct something it had initiated in the first place, I need to do the same thing with ESC in Sport and also in the Off position.

Golf R with same rear magna diff is pretty rock solid

If you’re making that comparison you were always going to be disappointed… cannot get away from the opf on new cars - they are all strangled

I do echo the sentiments that there’s something just not quite sure what that doesn’t sit right for me too.

It’s great. A fun weapon. As an opf car there aren’t many opf cars that sound better. Grip is great. It’s fun to play with and pivots superbly. Front end feels great. Looks great and draws lots of (good) attention.

Not sure what it is but it’s perhaps not quite as special as it should be for the money, perhaps.

It’s not just that though, as I alluded to in the post, there’s just something I’m struggling to put my finger on with it.

No volume dial.
That's ****** annoying.
As in MMI volume dial?
The touch sensitive one (next to start stop button) does take some getting used to being honest, but I rarely use it compared to the steering wheel volume control.

No volume dial.
That's ****** annoying.
Thats not quite true, you just run you finger around the 'dial' to the left of the gear selector as if you were actually turning a normal dial

It’s not just that though, as I alluded to in the post, there’s just something I’m struggling to put my finger on with it.

It's not either electric or a Tesla and the clocks ticking :tearsofjoy:

And if you touch the interior lights with your finger they light up as if by magic

We've got an M140i too with MPE. Makes a lovely noise. Not as loud as my original M135i with MPE but very nice. We initially drove the new M135i but f'ck me that's a boring torque steery chunk of metal. My wife gave it back after a few mins. When we test drove the S3, she didn't want to give it back. Yes it's quiet but it sounded like an older proper 4-pot.

If the RS3 is that bad I'll just put an exhaust on it.

I know what you mean. I think that can happen when moving to another gen of the “same” car.

I’ve had it in the past (long time ago now) with my supercharged mini moving to the turbo mini. The turbo car was better in every way but there was just something about the s’charged car that left me unable to put my finger on why I didn’t quite fall in love with the turbo car…

Something similar may be afflicting you with the 8v/8y perhaps.

I solved the problem in the past by modding the parts that I felt it lacked and it was problem solved.

^^ it will be cos his old one had 500hp :busted cop:

TX.

I did have a feeling before I bought it, and after the last car and money spent I thought this ****** can stay standard.
Still only 600 miles done so will give it more time.

Reactions: Jcbmally and Terminator x
I’m getting a running in service and was having a look at an rs5 and spotted it has the same steering wheel as my LE.

However, I noticed it has heated steering wheel button where mine has a blanked off button… I wonder if the heating elements are in the wheel already and it just needs to be “connected up” etc or if they aren’t in the wheel by default…?

3a8db3e17ff2b512e8fe243c55f0adc2.jpg

Reactions: Waq1
Flol !!

Sounds like mods will soon be inbound

Nope.
One thing I learnt when selling a 4 year old 8V. Mention remap and people aren’t interested.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Mate. I’ve had this chat with another guy today. Again can’t put finger on it but I just don’t 100% enjoy/like it as much as I thought I would
I’m assuming you are all coming from pre opfs?
This is our first rs and I think it just sounds incredible, low down grunt, blips on down change and pops and bangs. It’s just wonderful.
Perhaps it’s something about where your coming from, you have had louder non limited cars before?

Saw my first one in the wild today, turbo blue looked awesome!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: kayemill and 8YARWY
Anyone who’s taken delivery of a vorsprung or launch edition able to confirm if their car has rear type c connections. Seen this on a YouTube video wondering if this is a feature only available in Europe but if someone could let me know would be very helpful!
C5E1C324 FB7B 42EF B036 9CBC3F99280F

Anyone who’s taken delivery of a vorsprung or launch edition able to confirm if their car has rear type c connections. Seen this on a YouTube video wondering if this is a feature only available in Europe but if someone could let me know would be very helpful!
View attachment 251876

Yup.
6405fceb83f6de7dc41658234407fcfa.jpg

Reactions: Sibz156
I seem to recall this is one of the things that was dropped as an option and no longer comes as part of the Vorsprung either. Another of the options the launch editions got that vorsprungs should’ve had but no longer do if I remember rightly.

• Sad
Reactions: Sibz156
@T-1000 and @Daggerit @Keano04 @JamesOff thanks guys!!

More and more I’m wondering if I should sell my Vorsprung allocation and try find a LE saloon doesn’t feel like the vorsprung the flagship model is as special when an early release car has more spec. In reality the LE might as well be the vorsprung.

More and more I’m wondering if I should sell my Vorsprung allocation and try find a LE saloon doesn’t feel like the vorsprung the flagship model is as special when an early release car has more spec. In reality the LE might as well be the vorsprung.
LE has from what i notice

TMPS , rear USB, Red calippers, wirless phone charger

If I could’ve gotten one at a good price and with my spec it would’ve been worth it for sure.