RS3 8Y General Discussion Thread.

Will give these a try.

Collect Friday so looking to get something sorted quickly.
is the drive away insurance you get with Audi any good?

With Admiral on one of those multi-car thingys, premium is £1260 for the RS3 and the X5. I remember when we did Multi-car the savings was surprising

Reactions: Gazjs
Usually, I purchase the mats which protect the back of the seats from the kids scuffing and kicking them etc.

These hook around the headrest and the bottom of the seat.

what are people using, if anything, with the seats being one piece?

Shoes off might not be a full time solution

is the drive away insurance you get with Audi any good?
I used it and then made it my actual insurance. Haven't had to claim on it fortunately, but renewed a couple of months ago and it went down slightly. They were very competitive when I got the car which is mostly why I went with them - quite a few insurers including sponsors on here gave me quotes so high they were basically "we don't want to do it but we're not 'refusing'". I was unfortunate to have a car vandalised while parked outside my house a couple of months before and that didn't do my quotes for the RS3 any favours :(

Reactions: Gazjs and RS03???
New user here so please be patient...

Not long got myself an 8Y RS3 Saloon.

Being the OCD individual I am, I noted yesterday that it seems the front left corner of my air box lid is riding high meaning it is not level/same height as the right hand corner. (See attached image) I have tightened the screws/undone lid to check it is seated and all seems OK.

Would anyone on here care to help me by posting an image of the front of your air box so I can compare with mine?

Many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20230522_210338.jpg
    20230522_210338.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 99
New user here so please be patient...

Not long got myself an 8Y RS3 Saloon.

Being the OCD individual I am, I noted yesterday that it seems the front left corner of my air box lid is riding high meaning it is not level/same height as the right hand corner. (See attached image) I have tightened the screws/undone lid to check it is seated and all seems OK.

Would anyone on here care to help me by posting an image of the front of your air box so I can compare with mine?

Many thanks in advance!

Wow…… you really worried about things like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who is everyone using for insurance?
Getting a hefty price from Direct Line!
I’m with Direct line £710. Two named drivers.
Claim made last year on our SQ5 as some d&@k hit it in Tesco car park and drove off.

Thought I'd just ask here instead of making a thread about it - does driving off whilst the car is in its high-idle phase cause any issues at all?

Did it today without thinking and was just wondering if it caused issues or not.

Thought I'd just ask here instead of making a thread about it - does driving off whilst the car is in its high-idle phase cause any issues at all?

Did it today without thinking and was just wondering if it caused issues or not.

Probably not in reality, provided you don’t just turn it on and thrash the nuts off it I’d say. I generally wait for the cold start to finish but plenty don’t.

Reactions: DangerMouseUK
Yeah I normally always wait but today I just got in and drove straight off with the cold start still running and then was wondering did it really matter?

I didn't go above 3000rpm whilst I was moving out of the drive and towards the main road so wasn't thrashing it and never take it above 3000-3500rpm until it gets above 80C anyway as was always told not to thrash an engine until it was warmed up.

Oh ok thats cool so as long as you're easy on the throttle its not gonna do any damage whilst its cold starting and you drive off?

Our S3 never idles less than 1100 rpm. It’s fecking annoying specially considering the 6500rpm limit.

Yeah I normally always wait but today I just got in and drove straight off with the cold start still running and then was wondering did it really matter?

I didn't go above 3000rpm whilst I was moving out of the drive and towards the main road so wasn't thrashing it and never take it above 3000-3500rpm until it gets above 80C anyway as was always told not to thrash an engine until it was warmed up.

Oh ok thats cool so as long as you're easy on the throttle its not gonna do any damage whilst its cold starting and you drive off?

I can’t say 100%, but my wife gives zero ***** in her car and just gets in and drives normal every time and it’s got 130k miles on it with no engine issues. I think engines are far more robust these days so I don’t think it’ll hurt it in reality.

I have to basically turn my motorbike on and drive off if I use it for work because it’s loud and at 0500 I’m definitely not going to be letting it idle and wake everyone in the neighbouring houses up. I just don’t thrash it and they seem to have lasted well.

Reactions: DangerMouseUK and Sandra
Hi all.
New to the forum.
Just purchased a 2023 RS3 8Y hatch.
I was advised it doesn’t come with the 360 degree camera, given the chip reduction.
I was wondering/hoping anyone could advise what’s a good body-kit to try and source.
Thanks in advance.

A3/S3/RS3 8Y - 360 Camera Retrofit

Reactions: Snugsmann
A3/S3/RS3 8Y - 360 Camera Retrofit
Oh, thanks. I wonder though if they’d be willing to share their documented steps with any local fitters in my neck of the woods? As he says, it seems clearly a very complicated process.

Oh, thanks. I wonder though if they’d be willing to share their documented steps with any local fitters in my neck of the woods? As he says, it seems clearly a very complicated process.

You’ll never get anyone to share info about this.
A LOT of work involved it also needs calibrating properly to work correctly which requires factory tools.

Wow…… you really worried about things like that

Last night I removed the lid and removed the air filter.

I then put the lid back on and found that it will sit flat/level, however, as it appears the air box is not very well secured on the front left corner so you have to gently pull this upwards, the lid then sits flat/ level on the front left corner.

On the underside of the lid is a recess that runs around the edge, this is where the top edge of the filter sits so when the filter is placed on the box and the lid secured it creates the air seal/vacuum.

My concern was that if the front left corner of the lid appeared not to be sitting correctly/flat/level then the air seal/vacuum would not be created thereby effecting engine performance?

Maybe I'm overthinking??

Last night I removed the lid and removed the air filter.

I then put the lid back on and found that it will sit flat/level, however, as it appears the air box is not very well secured on the front left corner so you have to gently pull this upwards, the lid then sits flat/ level on the front left corner.

On the underside of the lid is a recess that runs around the edge, this is where the top edge of the filter sits so when the filter is placed on the box and the lid secured it creates the air seal/vacuum.

My concern was that if the front left corner of the lid appeared not to be sitting correctly/flat/level then the air seal/vacuum would not be created thereby effecting engine performance?

Maybe I'm overthinking??
I'd say just overthinking and don't worry about it. If there wasn't a 100% seal, the worst that would happen is you'd get some easier airflow and a little less filtration through that gap. The intakes are over engineered for airflow anyway, they won't be so borderline that something like that would cause an issue. I could be wrong but I believe that the OEM airbox is good for up to something like 5-600 bhp with a drop in filter.

Yes it does cause issues, but only to me I imagine, my car lurches, doesnt really respond to the throttle pedal and generally pizzes me right off, it's worse the colder the day is and also seems very dependent on my mood as well :tearsofjoy:

• Haha
Reactions: DangerMouseUK and Daggerit
Yes it does cause issues, but only to me I imagine, my car lurches, doesnt really respond to the throttle pedal and generally pizzes me right off, it's worse the colder the day is and also seems very dependent on my mood as well :tearsofjoy:
Yeah I forgot about the transmission... Don't know why these cars are so bad for the first 100m or something, it can really pogo when the clutches/transmission is cold. I've taken to putting it in drive (but handbrake still on) while the cold start is happening to let the clutch slip a bit and try to warm it up for pulling off because my drive is uphill and it can be a pain.

Shocking and whoever signed that off needed shooting.
Never had any other RS3 exhibit that behaviour.

Reactions: Mike.46, DangerMouseUK and Daggerit

I'm hoping a transmission ECU flash might sort it, but then you've got warranty issues is the problem.

I'm hoping a transmission ECU flash might sort it, but then you've got warranty issues is the problem.

Why should owners pay to sort it though.

Bonkers if you ask me.

Reactions: flybynite, Mike.46 and LayZ_Pz
Why should owners pay to sort it though.

Bonkers if you ask me.

Oh, totally agree. I'll follow that up by saying once that first 100m or so has been driven I have no issues with the transmission so it doesn't bother me that much in the scheme of things, but it shouldn't happen at all really.

Reactions: LayZ_Pz
The trans is hilarious the first kilometer honestly, slips like craaaazy and shifts super weirdly, lets out really long dsg farts - very very odd.

Reactions: 8YARWY and Daggerit
So I was out today, met a chap for a drink / meeting and lo what do I see a red SB parked near me!

TX.

Reactions: NevMan
Got a quote from Adrian Flux with renewal coming up… £46XX

Got a quote from Adrian Flux with renewal coming up… £46XX

46 quid and two kisses lol why the XX’s ? Means nothing to us except it’s damn expensive

46 quid and two kisses lol why the XX’s ? Means nothing to us except it’s damn expensive

Couldn’t remember what the actual number was, stopped listening when I heard four thousand six hundred…

Couldn’t remember what the actual number was, stopped listening when I heard four thousand six hundred…

They actually came in cheaper for me at 500 and something but I forgot about it and ended up paying £600 odd with privilege with the auto renew. Doh!

They actually came in cheaper for me at 500 and something but I forgot about it and ended up paying £600 odd with privilege with the auto renew. Doh!

Mine is modded a bit so guessing that’s bumped it up somewhat but they were still about 2 grand more expensive than what we’re paying for 2 cars in total on a multi car

• Wow
Reactions: kayemill

I have a feeling that it's down to Audi Nanny and emissions mode again, Audi are that focused on getting the cats and OPF up to temperature and working by retarding everything within the engine (and confusing the gearbox) that the owners 'mental health' :tearsofjoy: comes in second, like it does with the heater system starving the occupants of heat until the cylinder head is up to temperature

Reactions: flybynite and Daggerit
My insurance is £263, couldnt believe it was only £15 more than a 4 year old Golf R, the bit I dont tell people is it's with Saga :tearsofjoy:

• Haha
Reactions: 8YARWY and kayemill
There is that saying that if you can afford the car you can afford the running cost.

Reactions: Mr Freeze and 8YARWY
My insurance is £263, couldnt believe it was only £15 more than a 4 year old Golf R, the bit I dont tell people is it's with Saga :tearsofjoy:

Same company here. Cheap as chips for both cars.

There is that saying that if you can afford the car you can afford the running cost.

When I see the question (mainly on MuppetBook) “my insurance has gone up, what’s everybody else paying” it makes me chuckle, how is anyone else’s circumstances regarding insurance relevant to another person

Reactions: NevMan

I know you never had it with your 8V but I did and still do. If I drive off when the idle is at 1400 the gearbox slips and it won't accelerate if you rev it. If I wait for the revs to drop then it is fine.

To me it makes sense that you don't want the clutch fully engaged at 1400rpm starting off as you will be into other cars or the scenery but not much use if you want to join traffic straight away.

Waiting until the cold start finishes solves it for me, mapping out the stupid cold start would also have the same effect.

I have a feeling that it's down to Audi Nanny and emissions mode again, Audi are that focused on getting the cats and OPF up to temperature and working by retarding everything within the engine (and confusing the gearbox) that the owners 'mental health' :tearsofjoy: comes in second, like it does with the heater system starving the occupants of heat until the cylinder head is up to temperature

Yup I think as they were caught cheating they are over-compensating.

They have done it before, TT MK1 killed muppets with lift-off oversteer, they make every car from then on chronic understeer to compensate

Reactions: Mike.46
In terms of performance tuning, what Brabus/Reintech are to ‘Mercedes, who would you guys say is the equivalent for RS?