Retrofitting Audi Sound System

AWP

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have keen aspirations to fit the audi sound systems to my A3 8V, i have even went into my local Audi showroom and purchased the parts. I'm currently awaiting arrival. So if anyone wants part codes and prices for a A3 sportback please comment below and i'll post a picture.

However i have a question to anyone that has got an idea of how the retrofit would go and or has done this in the past. My question is does the subwoofer have to be connected to an AMP before being connected to the mmi Quad lock ? Or can i run a cable straight from the sub in the boot to the MMI unit without any issues arising later down the line ? I have seen the common video on youtube and have plucked up the courage to do it myself, however after doing some research people are saying it would be beneficial to connect the cable to an AMP first.

Would anyone know if this is something that NEEDS to be done ? and if there would be any problems with going straight cabled ?

Thanks everyone ! :thumbs up::nogarors4:

Reactions: Dunedin
Hello All,

I have keen aspirations to fit the audi sound systems to my A3 8V, i have even went into my local Audi showroom and purchased the parts. I'm currently awaiting arrival. So if anyone wants part codes and prices for a A3 sportback please comment below and i'll post a picture.

However i have a question to anyone that has got an idea of how the retrofit would go and or has done this in the past. My question is does the subwoofer have to be connected to an AMP before being connected to the mmi Quad lock ? Or can i run a cable straight from the sub in the boot to the MMI unit without any issues arising later down the line ? I have seen the common video on youtube and have plucked up the courage to do it myself, however after doing some research people are saying it would be beneficial to connect the cable to an AMP first.

Would anyone know if this is something that NEEDS to be done ? and if there would be any problems with going straight cabled ?

There are already a number of threads on this topic but will post a few details here. Suggest using the search button for greater detail however:
  • The AMP for the Audi Sound System is built in to the MMI.
  • You need to run the cables from the centre speaker and subwoofer to the quad lock of the MMI unit.
  • Once connected you need to code the unit to tell it that it has the two extra speakers.
  • Once coded you then need to activate the speaker outputs and add the subwoofer control to the MMI screen.
You will need access to coding tools to complete this install. If you can get to north London I can complete the install or the coding, or both for you. I do 2 to 3 of these a week :)

Reactions: jungle650 and AWP
...and add the subwoofer control to the MMI screen.
A little while ago you were trying to find a guinea pig to establish if it was possible to add the subwoofer control to a facelift car with *** (or B&O) which didn't have it.

My own attempts - and those of quite a few others - to find out from Audi themselves:

a) why certain cars with *** and B&O don't have the sub control in the MMI menu, and

b) if it was even remotely possible that this irritating omission might conceivably be rectified with a factory tweak in the near future seem to have come to nought, and the trail appears to have gone stone cold.

Did you manage to find a way to do it yourself?

If I lived closer than 130 miles from North London I'd have worn your doorbell out by now.

That probably isn't quite true, and in reality I've not lost any sleep over it, but whenever I spark up a bangin' Hardcore Rubble & Soil choon with loads of bass (like), I'm still mighty narked that an advertised feature just ain't there where it's supposed to be.

I is left feelin' so underwhelmed. Init.

For what it's worth my car is an ***-equipped 2017 2.0 TFSI 190 SB which was delivered December 2016.

Last edited:
A little while ago you were trying to find a guinea pig to establish if it was possible to add the subwoofer control to a facelift car with *** (or B&O) which didn't have it.

My own attempts - and those of quite a few others - to find out from Audi themselves:

a) why certain cars with *** and B&O don't have the sub control in the MMI menu, and

b) if it was even remotely possible that this irritating omission might conceivably be rectified with a factory tweak in the near future seem to have come to nought, and the trail appears to have gone stone cold.

Did you manage to find a way to do it yourself?

If I lived closer than 130 miles from North London I'd have worn your doorbell out by now.

That probably isn't quite true, and in reality I've not lost any sleep over it, but whenever I spark up a bangin' Hardcore Rubble & Soil choon with loads of bass (like), I'm still mighty narked that an advertised feature just ain't there where it's supposed to be.

I is left feelin' so underwhelmed. Init.

For what it's worth my car is an ***-equipped 2017 2.0 TFSI 190 SB which was delivered December 2016.

Given that the OP has not mentioned if the vehicle is PFL or FL I am actually going on the assumption that he has a PFL vehicle.

Re the FL vehicle testing for the missing sub control, I have not had anyone come forward for testing as yet :(

Reactions: Phutters
Re the FL vehicle testing for the missing sub control, I have not had anyone come forward for testing as yet :(
That's a bit of a b*gger.

Don't forget to mention it if you do - I'd be very interested to find out, and if I can think of an excuse to get down there I'd happily let you tinker with my thing.

Reactions: Sandra
On the A4 B9 Audiworld forum the conclusion was it depended upon the MMI firmware revision, early versions of the A4 B9 didn't have sub control for the *** or the B&O either. Then on later versions it reappeared, owners experiences though suggested it made little difference.

Given that the OP has not mentioned if the vehicle is PFL or FL I am actually going on the assumption that he has a PFL vehicle.

Hello DJAlix, I have a PFL car, not sure about the MMI Version but it`s PFL. Sadly however I live to the upper end of scotland and will not be able to come down :sadlike::sob:

There are already a number of threads on this topic but will post a few details here. Suggest using the search button for greater detail however:
  • You need to run the cables from the centre speaker and subwoofer to the quad lock of the MMI unit.
  • Once connected you need to code the unit to tell it that it has the two extra speakers.
  • Once coded you then need to activate the speaker outputs and add the subwoofer control to the MMI screen.
You will need access to coding tools to complete this install. If you can get to north London I can complete the install or the coding, or both for you. I do 2 to 3 of these a week :)

Hi DJAlix,

I have a PFL S3 Sportback (2015) with standard audio. Can you give me an idea on cost to upgrade to *** please....I guess B&O is cost prohibitive?

Regards

Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello All,

Hi Aaron, Can you supply part list and prices please?

Thanks

Mark

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

@DJAlix been a while since i posted in here, Im looking to peruse where i left off as the cables and items have since been siting in a dark corner of my wardrobe. Would it be possible to private message you to check a few things ?

@DJAlix been a while since i posted in here, Im looking to peruse where i left off as the cables and items have since been siting in a dark corner of my wardrobe. Would it be possible to private message you to check a few things ?
Sure.