Facelift Resonator delete

Reaction score
hi

Looking at getting a resonator delete on my facelift, can you buy a bolt on kit ? Or do you have to have the exhaust cut?
Also My car is on lease so what would happen if Audi noticed ? And would it bring up any fault codes up?

Thanks

I'm picking my S3 up on Wednesday and getting the resonator cut out, i believe it has to be cut and then the other piece is welded on. It won't bring up any fault codes unlike taking the Catalytic Converter out and you technically won't be allowed to do the resonator delete as its a modification to the vehicle however they will only really check at the end of the lease so as long as its put back, it should be fine.

Reactions: S37S and Rayner_1704
I'm picking my S3 up on Wednesday and getting the resonator cut out, i believe it has to be cut and then the other piece is welded on. It won't bring up any fault codes unlike taking the Catalytic Converter out and you technically won't be allowed to do the resonator delete as its a modification to the vehicle however they will only really check at the end of the lease so as long as its put back, it should be fine.
I also pick mine up on Wednesday and already got the modding bug having come from a 400bhp 8P S3 haha

I also pick mine up on Wednesday and already got the modding bug having come from a 400bhp 8P S3 haha

I've got a Golf R on lease atm which heads back in May, i had a cat-back on that, springs and a few other little reversable mods, so a resonator delete is on the cards straight from the dealership haha.

Exactly what Christoph said, the exhaust needs to be cut with the new pipe being welded on.

I've had the resonator delete done, doesn't bring up any fault codes and it has been in Audi for a checkup. They didn't say a thing.

I would recommend having a look at Powervalve's Edition of the Res Delete. It's the same price as the genuine Audi delete kit and is fitted the same way. It also had an additional part on their kit which eliminates the drone created by this mod.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Flying Scotsman
I would recommend having a look at Powervalve's Edition of the Res Delete. It's the same price as the genuine Audi delete kit and is fitted the same way. It also had an additional part on their kit which eliminates the drone created by this mod.

The audi kit is a ridiculous price if I'm being honest, find a good exhaust shop and you'll get the same thing at a much more reasonable cost. My car doesn't drone at all.

I can not speak for the effectiveness of the Powervalve resonator delete kit to remove drone but I have driven an S3 with the Audi resonator delete kit and it does drone between 2,500-3,500 rpm and any removal of just the resonator will have the same issue.
Please note I am not alone in this observation....check other threads on resonator delete.

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
Iv noticed awesome GTI do a kit now looks like you just cut the red out and sleeve the new pipe in. I may just take it to a exhaust place get it cut out one end sleeved and one end welded to cat back then when it's time to send car back just buy a used standard catback

Yes it has to be cut out, one cut between it and the back box. I wanted mine interchangeable, so I told them not to weld it and instead it is sleeved so I can just slot the resonantor back in whenever I want.

Upon reflection now, I probably could have had it welded because I will probably take it back to them to swap it over anyway just for ease.

Dreaming of the FL RS3 now, with a secondary decat ;) Planning mods before it's even released haha.

Reactions: S37S and pburv
The stock kit is not welded. It comes with clamp-on sleeves if purchased from a dealer. Now, when the resonator delete is specced at the factory I'm not sure how it comes (welded or clamp on). I don't know what this drone nonsense people are talking about is; my car has no drone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: S37S
Anyone have a video from inside the cabin for noise? My old 8P was straight pipe with decat and just back box and that was lovely until you have friends or relatives in the car and all they do is moan haha and I'm wanting it more suttle now

I have de-cat and 3" pipe with nothing other than the rear box and it is quiet around town and cruising. But HUGE noise when the valves open. Other than than the tinny noise I like it. Not decided which rear box to go for yet.

Reactions: S37S
The stock kit is not welded. It comes with clamp-on sleeves if purchased from a dealer. Now, when the resonator delete is specced at the factory I'm not sure how it comes (welded or clamp on). I don't know what this drone nonsense people are talking about is; my car has no drone.

Interesting. It's a heavy drone when accelerating slowly, not when cruising at motorway speeds.

Also, you can't spec the resonator delete for the UK.. surprised you can anywhere.

Anyone have a video from inside the cabin for noise? My old 8P was straight pipe with decat and just back box and that was lovely until you have friends or relatives in the car and all they do is moan haha and I'm wanting it more suttle now

I can try and get one for you, not sure how well it will pick up for volume.

Reactions: Rayner_1704
Interesting. It's a heavy drone when accelerating slowly, not when cruising at motorway speeds.

Also, you can't spec the resonator delete for the UK.. surprised you can anywhere.

When I picked up my S3 every car at the dealership had the resonator delete specced. I'm not sure if it's port installed or how it works exactly. If I ever get my car back from the shop I'll have to take some pics underneath as I've never bothered to check how it's installed.

I can tell you I had an FR-S (GT86) a few cars ago with an equal length header, race cat and resonator (no muffler) and THAT thing had drone.

Reactions: Rayner_1704
When I picked up my S3 every car at the dealership had the resonator delete specced. I'm not sure if it's port installed or how it works exactly. If I ever get my car back from the shop I'll have to take some pics underneath as I've never bothered to check how it's installed.

I can tell you I had an FR-S (GT86) a few cars ago with an equal length header, race cat and resonator (no muffler) and THAT thing had drone.

Yeah you can choose it in the US I believe but we don't have that option from the dealer in the U.K.

Reactions: AudiNutta

Interesting, I wish we had that option here. But then again I suppose it's just like having the sports exhaust on the RS3. Maybe it doesn't quite meet noise regulations, it doesn't seem that loud though.. not when the RS3 is legal haha.

I have de-cat and 3" pipe with nothing other than the rear box and it is quiet around town and cruising. But HUGE noise when the valves open. Other than than the tinny noise I like it. Not decided which rear box to go for yet.

When does the tinny noise occur? Mine started making that noise out of nowhere... booked it into Audi to look at and it's all of a sudden disappeared before even getting there :shrug: