Reliability of Audi s Tronic (DSG) gearbox?

Joejacsj

Reaction score
Very keen on purchasing Audi A3 1.6 S Tronic 2009 (Petrol), currently at 63k with FSH.

Did test drive the car and all seemed well but I am reading few forums relating to potential issues with the s Tronic (DSG) gearbox. After the test drive, I did notice the oil level was low which is again causing me doubts on the condition of the gearbox of the car. In particular, when using the paddles I noticed that around 25mph the car would need to be in 3rd gear which I also find a little old?

I'm a little cautious right now, as from what I can see the replacement of these is very expensive, almost as much as the car themselves.

Can anyone comment on the reliability of the gearbox particularly around 60k+ miles?
Anything I can do to check before I go ahead with purchasing the car to ensure everything is as good as it could be?

Thanks

I don't understand what you mean when you say the car would need to be in 3rd gear at 25mph? If you were in D then unless you are on the gas then it will change up really earlier (hence why the mpg on dsg cars is slightly better than manuals). The gearboxes are pretty bulletproof, although there were some issues with some of the earlier ones (06-07). Just make sure the dsg oil and filter have been changed at 40k miles. I'm on 85k on a heavily modded car with no issues.

Like any other older car, the older it is the potentential for more problems. A 2009 car should not be having problems. If you drive it gently then the gears will change up early,boot it and gear changes happen a lot later, especially in S mode. If your not sure if the gearbox oil has been changed then have it done asap

Like any other older car, the older it is the potentential for more problems. A 2009 car should not be having problems. If you drive it gently then the gears will change up early,boot it and gear changes happen a lot later, especially in S mode. If your not sure if the gearbox oil has been changed then have it done asap
Thank you.

I contacted the seller, and the last gear box service was done at 36k
Is this reasonable or something I should look into doing myself after purchasing?

There should be a warning on this thread because the law of sod says if you tell anyone your box is trouble free it will break.

Reactions: aqibi2000 and SootySport
Thank you.

I contacted the seller, and the last gear box service was done at 36k
Is this reasonable or something I should look into doing myself after purchasing?
It's due every 40k so he's being servicing correctly.