rear brake upgrade

jay1601

Reaction score
got a bit of spare cash at the moment, looking at upgrading the rear brakes.

i got the 232 solids at the moment.

looking to fit the 256 vented set up.

is this the biggest you can get without having to buy porsche rear brakes

anyone tried to fit 312mm disc to the back aswell as the front ?

I'd be interested to see what you find too as this is something i'd like to do after my last track day highlighted how poor my brakes are still.

I was thinking about getting porka rears myself.

forget porsche rears boys, you need a mechanical handbrake built into the caliper, Porsches have a seperate caliper to do this, so it won't work for you. also, there's really no huge need for such big rears, especially when you're not running monster fronts, you'll just mess up the balance.

Consider decent pads on the rear by all means westy, adding a decent compound will up the rear effort for sure.

jay: 256 rears are a very easy bolt on conversion, ideally you want 2wd 256 rears as they're direct fit, 4wd 256 rears need a 6mm spacer on the caliper carrier, and longer bolts too.

DaveB did a 300mm upgrade kit for the 256 rears a while back but I don't think he does it any more, which is a shame, as I want one!

I'm pretty sure daveb will still do some kits if you ask very nicely he did my 300 rear kit around august September time for around the 300 mark but only downside is that he's really busy so will take quite a will to arrive as he spends a lot of time out of the country but it is well worth the wait 

I'm pretty sure daveb will still do some kits if you ask very nicely he did my 300 rear kit around august September time for around the 300 mark but only downside is that he's really busy so will take quite a will to arrive as he spends a lot of time out of the country but it is well worth the wait 

I emailed him before I bought my porka fronts and he never got back to me :(

I'm just going to put some better discs and pads on the rear and see how that goes.

Sorry am on iPhone so can't post photo but there is one on the garage section of my profile 

What up rated pads are available for the back of an 8L s3?

Thankyou. I really rate them. Will get a set

Mike

The only issue I have with the rear DS2500's is that the cost almost as much as the front pads! I'm not paying £130+ for rear pads if they're not doing much.

I'm going to try a set of £50 Tarox for the rear.

The only issue I have with the rear DS2500's is that the cost almost as much as the front pads! I'm not paying £130+ for rear pads if they're not doing much.

I'm going to try a set of £50 Tarox for the rear.
I wouldn't pay that for rear pads either, just putting the option out there.

The rear upgrade for S3 uses RS4 rear disc (300mmish) redrilled to 5x100 then a spacer bracket to move the caliper out and keep it over the centre of the disc,
There is a small ring needed too as the rs4 has a slightly smaller bore i think

im planning on making my own kit up , Just need to buy some discs and get it sorted.

I've been thinking about this too.
I got my rear brake pad warning last week and noticed the discs need to be changed too.
I'm planning to keep the original calipers and get better performance discs and pads.

I understand that the 8l A3 has the same rear brakes as the 2003 tt, so I found these:

EBC REDSTUFF BRAKE PADS, CERAMIC, 2-WHEEL SET
EBC 3GD SPORT BRAKE ROTORS, DIMPLED AND SLOTTED, SOLID, SET OF 2

Any comments/suggestions on this setup????