Rattle noise coming from B pillar area

scoss

Reaction score
I've got an annoying rattle which is ever so faint but due to it being around ear height is very apparent to me when driving. My wife couldn't hear it from the front passenger for example.
Anyone have a rattle from the seat belt section of their 8v? Or upon investigating was it from another area?

Thanks

I've got an annoying rattle which is ever so faint but due to it being around ear height is very apparent to me when driving. My wife couldn't hear it from the front passenger for example.
Anyone have a rattle from the seat belt section of their 8v? Or upon investigating was it from another area?

Thanks

Drivers door mate.....notorious...rattle

Reactions: Gordo77, Rob2k68 and pburv
Can you adjust your seatbelt one notch up or down to see if that helps ?

Reactions: Gordo77
Can you adjust your seatbelt one notch up or down to see if that helps ?

I've done this. I've been reading on many forums and I've seen that some people say that the b pillar noise has been linked to the drivers door latch. Admittedly they were on older audi's but they used some spray grease on the latch and this sorted the issue. The vibrations from latch would transfer up the b pillar. I've got it booked into Audi on Monday (for another rattle) so I'll mention it then. The 8v is too quiet for its own good.

Reactions: Scottyg and Rob2k68

Thanks
I've got a little rattle just like that. Seems worse in colder weather. Mine stops if I push the trim panel just above the seat belt, and is normally then quiet for the rest of the journey.

Thanks
Check out the offside rear seat split/fold bracket !!

I have the same noise in my facelift S3, I had it in my A3 8V too. It sounds as though it's behind you, but applying pressure to the door card in the S3 stops it.

I'm embarrassed of taking my car to audi for rattles, would be the 3rd time if I include the trips in my previous car. The car is only a week and a half old, it was there after 3 days.

If anyone has an idea how to rectify it I'd much appreciate some advice, I'd rather sort it myself.

I have the same noise in my facelift S3, I had it in my A3 8V too. It sounds as though it's behind you, but applying pressure to the door card in the S3 stops it.

I'm embarrassed of taking my car to audi for rattles, would be the 3rd time if I include the trips in my previous car. The car is only a week and a half old, it was there after 3 days.

If anyone has an idea how to rectify it I'd much appreciate some advice, I'd rather sort it myself.

Sorry to sound like a total plank but the door card is the entire door or a certain section of it? Like near the speakers or electric window switches?

Check out the offside rear seat split/fold bracket !!

Where exactly is this situated mate? I've not moved my rear seats since having the car.

I have a rattle on my drivers door that's driving me nuts. Took it to my dealer and they did something (I think...not actually sure they did anything) but it's still there.

Service was so bad I took it to another dealer and the technician came out on a drive with me and typically it wasn't there! I decided to drive home and leave it and it ****** came back in the way home!! Spun round and showed him and had to book it in again on the 7th. It's very loud and right by my ear. Sounds like the window to me, but could easily be the B pillar.

Funnily enough I went on a test drive of an S3 today and it had the exact same rattle...!! Must be common....

Reactions: AudiNutta
I've also got a noise that appears to come from the area behind my right ear. Not so much a rattle though, more of a knocking. Definitely worse when driving over rough roads and also whenever I brake. Would love to find out where it's coming from, very irritating!

The B-pillar trim rattle can be fixed. It is primarily caused by how Audi designed the holder system that clips the trim onto the car chassis.

You can pop the B-pillar trim piece off from the bottom, and angle it away inwards to have a peek inside. You don't have to remove it completely. You will see a black plastic holder that has 2 clips, attached to the chassis behind the seat belt. To remove this holder, look for the two small "tangs" at the top, press one and slide the holder upwards on that same side. Repeat for the other side. You can now slip the holder out carefully.

Once you have it out, you can put small pieces of adhesive fleece tape (ebay; Coroplast or Tesa tape) at the areas where the holder contact the chassis. Usually there is a bit of free play and looseness, hence the rattle. Experiment with getting rid of the free play using the fleece tape, and reinstall everything. The rattle should be eliminated.

Reactions: richinsoton, Scottyg and KenL
I've also got a noise that appears to come from the area behind my right ear. Not so much a rattle though, more of a knocking. Definitely worse when driving over rough roads and also whenever I brake. Would love to find out where it's coming from, very irritating!
Try looking at the rear seat back rest latch, it might need adjusting !,

Sounds like the issue I had.
Try this, drive with window down slightly just off the seals. (along a line of cats eyes is a good test)
If it has stopped, treat all your window seals & door seals with gummiphledge or whatever its called, mines been quiet since.
I didnt believe the Audi tech who told me the glass moving against the rubbers was the cause, but it seems to have cured it. He showed me the following as an example..........
******rub the tip of your index finger down the side of your thumb slowly with your hand near your ear pressing quite firmly so the friction breaks occasionaly! The snapping noise you hear is the same phenomenon!********** This only works with dry skin, wet clammy skin wont produce the noise. Lick your thumb & try again!

Reactions: pburv
Try this, drive with window down slightly just off the seals. (along a line of cats eyes is a good test)
If it has stopped, treat all your window seals & door seals with gummiphledge or whatever its called, mines been quiet since.
I didnt believe the Audi tech who told me the glass moving against the rubbers was the cause, but it seems to have cured it. He showed me the following as an example..........
******rub the tip of your index finger down the side of your thumb slowly with your hand near your ear pressing quite firmly so the friction breaks occasionaly! The snapping noise you hear is the same phenomenon!********** This only works with dry skin, wet clammy skin wont produce the noise. Lick your thumb & try again!

When you say seals do you mean the rubber around the entire window? What product did he use for lubrication?

Just found this product on amazon. Loads of positive reviews. Door seals seems obvious, however where exactly would you lub the window seal? Did you apply this stick to the outside of the window seal? Thanks

I'd also like to know what product could be used on the seals please. I might give it a go.

I'd also like to know what product could be used on the seals please. I might give it a go.

Gummi Pflege Rubber Care Stick 100ml - Rubber Treatment - Roll On * BUY 2 to get free postage Amazon product

This is what the guy mentioned. Lots of good reviews from drivers too. I've just bought 2 bottles!

Last edited:
Reactions: replicant71
I had a similar noise from the B-pillar some time ago. The technician tried all the obvious but nothing seem to cure it. In the end it turned out to something to do with the door retaining mechanism. He undid every thing and retightened and the noise went away and has never re-appeared

Reactions: Rob2k68
Just found this product on amazon. Loads of positive reviews. Door seals seems obvious, however where exactly would you lub the window seal? Did you apply this stick to the outside of the window seal? Thanks
The gummiphledge is a thin white liquid, supplied with a sponge tipped applicator, it needs applying to the parts that touch the glass but you can apply it all over the rubbers to keep it supple. I applied it by winding the window down, then used a knife (or something thin & flat) to get in the gap down both sides of the window rubbers & put it on to the glass itself along the top edge on both sides to get it into the top seals by closing the window.
I also used it on the door surrounds & tailgate seals.
I bought mine from ebay & months later found I already had some BMW branded in the Valet set that came with a BMW I used to own, so they probably sell it as well.

Reactions: pburv
"I'm embarrassed of taking my car to audi for rattles, would be the 3rd time if I include the trips in my previous car. The car is only a week and a half old, it was there after 3 days."

Don't be embarrassed about taking your brand new vehicle that you've just paid top dollar for, back to the dealership if you're not happy with it.... They made enough profit on the sale.
Speaking as someone who spends a large part of their working life inside car dealerships of most makes (not just Audi or VAG) I'm fully aware of how many of the staff speak about and treat their customers once the deal has been done and the paperwork signed. :wtf:

Reactions: pburv and richinsoton
The gummiphledge is a thin white liquid, supplied with a sponge tipped applicator, it needs applying to the parts that touch the glass but you can apply it all over the rubbers to keep it supple. I applied it by winding the window down, then used a knife (or something thin & flat) to get in the gap down both sides of the window rubbers & put it on to the glass itself along the top edge on both sides to get it into the top seals by closing the window.
I also used it on the door surrounds & tailgate seals.
I bought mine from ebay & months later found I already had some BMW branded in the Valet set that came with a BMW I used to own, so they probably sell it as well.

Thanks will def do all this once I get the product.

"I'm embarrassed of taking my car to audi for rattles, would be the 3rd time if I include the trips in my previous car. The car is only a week and a half old, it was there after 3 days."

Don't be embarrassed about taking your brand new vehicle that you've just paid top dollar for, back to the dealership if you're not happy with it.... They made enough profit on the sale.
Speaking as someone who spends a large part of their working life inside car dealerships of most makes (not just Audi or VAG) I'm fully aware of how many of the staff speak about and treat their customers once the deal has been done and the paperwork signed. :wtf:

I am just not very welcome at the service department in Audi. They cracked my front bumper, after arguments it was repaired. They spilt brake fluid on the wing, when I went down I got shouted at by the service manager which left me upset. It's down to my age, them taking it for granted. Obviously we kicked up a fuss about the latter, which makes me known to them all. Their master tech has driven my car 4/5 times with rattles, succeeded to find rattles on 2 of those occasions. My car is going in tomorrow to have a tracker fitted, so I am paying in excess of £1000 tomorrow. I will mention the rattles, I just know for a fact they won't be there when they drive it.

Reactions: Rob2k68
I am just not very welcome at the service department in Audi. They cracked my front bumper, after arguments it was repaired. They spilt brake fluid on the wing, when I went down I got shouted at by the service manager which left me upset. It's down to my age, them taking it for granted. Obviously we kicked up a fuss about the latter, which makes me known to them all. Their master tech has driven my car 4/5 times with rattles, succeeded to find rattles on 2 of those occasions. My car is going in tomorrow to have a tracker fitted, so I am paying in excess of £1000 tomorrow. I will mention the rattles, I just know for a fact they won't be there when they drive it.

I feel your pain. They had my car today and didn't find any of my rattles which is annoying as I had to drop the car off at 7.15 before work.
They did their health check to tell me that me front discs and pads were 80% worn and that they could replace them a lovely £560!!! I said I'd find a better quote. Which is have for £290 at a VAG garage in Bristol.

I feel your pain. They had my car today and didn't find any of my rattles which is annoying as I had to drop the car off at 7.15 before work.
They did their health check to tell me that me front discs and pads were 80% worn and that they could replace them a lovely £560!!! I said I'd find a better quote. Which is have for £290 at a VAG garage in Bristol.

I asked them to check out my rattle today, the device advisor refused to start a warranty claim for it until a technician came out the in the car with me. I couldn't do this as I were already very late for college. We ended on agreeing that he noted it on the job, so if they had time then it would be looked at. The car is still there, so hopefully it's being looked into.

That's a nice price for brakes on an A3 haha!! I am not looking forward to the bill for the S3 brakes. What they have quoted you, isn't far off S3 brakes!!

Located the squeaking/rattle myself. Coming from the top part of the door trim next to the b pillar. If pushed in this creates the noise that I'm getting. All other doors are silent so this def needs addressing. Here's hoping I don't have to wait long to be seen by Audi again!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob2k68 and Gordo77
Located the squeaking/rattle myself. Coming from the top part of the door trim next to the b pillar. If pushed in this creates the noise that I'm getting. All other doors are silent so this def needs addressing. Here's hoping I don't have to wait long to be seen by Audi again!

Is that the driver door? And are you pushing it in the top corner from the inside?

Hey, did you ever find out what the problem was here?

I'm getting a noise that's more of a knocking than a rattle that is coming from behind my right ear, same as you.

Hey, did you ever find out what the problem was here?

I'm getting a noise that's more of a knocking than a rattle that is coming from behind my right ear, same as you.
I no longer have my S3 but I never resolved this.

However, I have a very similar issue with my RS3! The noise is on the passenger side. My local Audi dealer had it for a few days a year ago and improved it slightly. Apparently it was something to do with the wiring loom that is housed within the C pillar area, it was loose and needed "insulating". However, since improving that area, the noise has now shifted to the B pillar area on the passenger side! I haven't bothered taking it back to my dealer, I just put up with it now but it is very irritating.

I no longer have my S3 but I never resolved this.

However, I have a very similar issue with my RS3! The noise is on the passenger side. My local Audi dealer had it for a few days a year ago and improved it slightly. Apparently it was something to do with the wiring loom that is housed within the C pillar area, it was loose and needed "insulating". However, since improving that area, the noise has now shifted to the B pillar area on the passenger side! I haven't bothered taking it back to my dealer, I just put up with it now but it is very irritating.
Hey thanks for your reply. I've been trying all sorts. The latest is wrapping some felt tape to the front door latch which seems to have quietened the noise a little.

Anyway thanks again and best of luck sorting your RS3!