R32 ARB Advice

imz

Reaction score
I know this has been posted over and over but I can’t now find it, so please be patient.

Firstly I’m finding I can use my standard S3 clamps and clips on the R32 rear ARB is this correct?

Also which bushes should I go for, Powerflex (purple ones), powerflex black series or Superpro?

I’ll be getting the front done in the future but just having rear done first for some twitchy fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used super pro bushes and original clamps. I only have the rear fitted and found it just stiffened the ride up. I do run 2 year old OEM springs and shocks though.

Reactions: imz
I’m getting my rear R32 ARB fitted on Monday, using the original clamps and black race series powerflex bushes.

I’ve tried sourcing new clamps, but all the ones I’ve found are a single bolt and hook type design, where mine are 2 bolts.

Generally you just replace the rear ARB to stiffen it up like Vex mentioned.

Perfect thanks for your responses I will go black series.

If it helps I can confirm this works as I used the original clamps and powerflex black series bushes with my R32 arb too.

Reactions: S3AMJ
Little update on this, had my R32 rear ARB fitted with black series powerflex bushes and swapped out my old adjustable rear tie arms for a nice pair of CBAuto stainless steel ones. It’s made a huge difference to the handling. Threw the car around some time corners and it’s really point and shoot!

Little update on this, had my R32 rear ARB fitted with black series powerflex bushes and swapped out my old adjustable rear tie arms for a nice pair of CBAuto stainless steel ones. It’s made a huge difference to the handling. Threw the car around some time corners and it’s really point and shoot!

Awesome thanks for the update mate. Are you going for the just the rear mate?

Awesome thanks for the update mate. Are you going for the just the rear mate?

Yeah just the rear, from what I’ve researched you don’t need to swap out the front. If you did then your just creating the same crap handling characteristics just firmer. The main idea is to stiffen the rear to reduce roll. The difference in my opinion is night and day. Feels like a go kart and well connected to the front.

I done the renowned 22mm front and 19mm rear ARB upgrade, and its fantastic. I like to turn in tight and power through. I recently done a track day where I met someone who had a much more powerful A3 than mine, and he was impressed with my cars handling and power sliding abilities in comparison to his heavily modified S3. I followed the infamous ess3 guide as can be found in the sticky's.

Reactions: imz and S3AMJ
I have both front/rear R32 ARB's using superpro bushes... feels much more planted than before... I am not a 'press on' driver though so in terms of how the setup works at the limit then I can't really comment... all I can say is for how I drive I had a lot of confidence that the car would go where I pointed it at the speeds I was comfortable with doing on public roads

<tuffty/>

As recommended by ess3 and I can confirm once again that this is a brilliant setup, but you will need adjustable rear control arms to be able to get the rear to align correctly if you are using lowering springs.

Front

Camber -1.5°
Toe 0°02 (2 minutes toe out)

Rear
Camber -1.0°[/QUOTE]
Toe 0° (Parallel)

As recommended by ess3 and I can confirm once again that this is a brilliant setup, but you will need adjustable rear control arms to be able to get the rear to align correctly if you are using lowering springs.

Front

Camber -1.5°
Toe 0°02 (2 minutes toe out)

Rear
Camber -1.0°
Toe 0° (Parallel)[/QUOTE]

That’s exactly what I’ve currently got my tracking set at. Car feels tight on the road, follows the corners nicely at -1.5 front. Which is pretty much the limits without changing the top mounts.

Awesome thanks for all the advice.

I already have Bilstein shocks, Eibach lowering springs and adjustable rear tie bars.

Ordered the powerflex bushes so hopefully once they come through can get the car finished and back on the road.

Happy days, been just over a year since I last drove it.

Reactions: S3AMJ and Asim1