Potential A5 Sportback Purchase Advice

Taxboy

Reaction score
I've been lurking for a little while and am considering purchasing an A5 Sportback used - budget up to 20k and have a few questions that I hope you guys can assist with. I am coming from an E39 520 that I owned from new for 12 years if that helps !!

1) The car must be an auto - so is the DSG deathtrap a bit of an internet myth or a not a real world issue

2) Currently looking at the 2.0 diesel but does the petrol drive better or offer an advantages in auto form. My current mileage is now down to 15,000 pa so I'm borderline on running costs on the petrol v diesel debate...... I think

3) I'd like to have heated leather and sat nav but are there any other essential options for this car. I was wondering if the normal headlights are good or if the Xenons are a must have. My old BMW had rubbish lights and this is not something I'm likely to be able to test on a summer's day test drive

4) Anything else I need to be aware of before I hit the stealers

TIA

If I was in your shoes I'd either buy the 2.0TFSi or failing that the 3.0TDi if I could stretch for it.

In 15 odd years of doing moderator work on VAG forums I've never heard of the DSG death trap??? If you buy a bad one that's not been serviced at the correct intervals it will cost you dearly if it goes wrong, but otherwise they're fairly sound.

Essential options wise, options can be so hit and miss it's hard to quantify as unless you buy new you will rarely find your perfect wishlist. Xenons will be a big improvement, and get the best entertainment /tech combo you can for your money (cruise/ipod/Bluetooth etc).

Happy hunting!

Thanks for that. Can you please advise why you recommend the 2 l petrol over the diesel. As for the DSG I've read that it would hesitate in finding the right gear if you slowed down eg approaching a roundabout & then tried to accelerate it could leave you exposed. Presumably this has now been resolved?

Thanks for that. Can you please advise why you recommend the 2 l petrol over the diesel. As for the DSG I've read that it would hesitate in finding the right gear if you slowed down eg approaching a roundabout & then tried to accelerate it could leave you exposed. Presumably this has now been resolved?

I'd recommend the petrol over the diesel as I genuinely prefer it. The only diesel I'd buy in the Audi range is the 3.0TDI or the 3.0TDI Bi-Turbo in the A6. I think they're good 'for a diesel'. Personally unless your doing stratospheric mileage I don't really see the draw of the diesel so much these days, I think it just depends on what you like / what you're used to but the 2.0TDi is competent but that's as far as it goes in terms of stirring my soul.

As for the DSG I think they've improved quite a bit in recent iterations, but there will still be instances where they get it wrong (some mention tight parking, others mention junctions). I think you have to be aware of it and drive round it (or go for a DSG remap). My new car will be my first DSG and I'm sat on the fence about it. I didn't have a choice on the S5, but a back problem indicated it was the right thing to do. Time will tell. Personally I like the immediacy and human connection of manual, but I tend to get branded Neanderthal for that reason.

As for the DSG I've read that it would hesitate in finding the right gear if you slowed down eg approaching a roundabout & then tried to accelerate it could leave you exposed. Presumably this has now been resolved?

It generally isn't that bad, but where you could trip it up (on a 59-plate 3.0TDi) was coasting to a stop, start to go, slow again then decide to go it would maybe slur the change a little. It generally felt worse than it was - it's not like it ever leaves you in neutral. Also you could argue you hadn't planned very well. ;)

It's noticeably better (at least in the S5) on the newer DSG but even on the 'old' one it wasn't terrible, just a little unnerving. You can get around that by either planning the roundabout better, going to manual or sport modes for the roundabout. But honestly, you soon don't notice it as a problem.

Thanks for the prompt responses
Very helpful & much appreciated

As for the other things to consider what about

Quattro, S Line spec, 4 or 5 seats, cruise and folding mirrors.

In my opinion xenon's are a must (missed them so much in the A3).

Both the 2.0TFSI and 3.0TDI are great engines - I'm loving the torque of the diesel now though.

5 years ago if you asked I would never agree to owning an auto diesel but how times change.

I personally love Quattro's and wouldn't be without it but price is higher and you can't go auto in the 2.0TDI for that money!

What does the DSG map do though?