Personalized plates and legalities

:lmfao:

If that was me, my next question would've been... "You got a permanent marker I can borrow for a sec please mate?"

Ahhhh... but the Post Code has to be embedded in the plate and no doubt of a certain font and a certain size..... a scheme designed to stop cloned cars as you, in theory, need to take Registration Document along to get the number plates.

Ahhhh... but the Post Code has to be embedded in the plate and no doubt of a certain font and a certain size..... a scheme designed to stop cloned cars as you, in theory, need to take Registration Document along to get the number plates.

The Post Code is required by law and is the Post Code of the Company who made up the plates. It means that if a company makes up illegal number plates or plates where the V5 document has not been provided, they can be traced, prosecuted and fined up to £5000. As far as I know there is no minimum size for the Post Code.

When my wife bought her Polo the standard plates that they made up had the Name of the dealer and their Post Code in quite large lettering. We asked them to make up a plate, as it was a personal plate anyway, with much smaller lettering. They initially said they couldn't, so I showed them the Post Code on my number plates that were made up by another branch of the same company and they agreed to do as we asked.

It's nice to see that some MOT stations are doing their job properly and failing cars with illegal number plates.

Last edited:
Yep - Ours failed its MOT for illegal spacing.
Had to get a set of replacement plates made and have it retested.
The plate was of the T123ABC format and the only issue was that there was only a single space between the number block and letter block instead of the double space that there is meant to be.....

I've been think about a plate. notsure now.
I wanted to space it P11 P PP instead of P11 PPP

As I understand it, in most cases of illegal number plates, the police will issue you with a notice which requires you to get a correct plate fixed and take your car to an MOT testing station for it to be checked and then take the form they issue to a Police Station.

Anyone been dealt with in the manner?

Thats what I would have expected Dave.

But no, I was clobbered for £60 by a damn camera in a van!

Thats what I would have expected Dave.

But no, I was clobbered for £60 by a damn camera in a van!

Still if you have an illegal number plate that's a chance you take. The main law I break is a speed limit, but I accept that if I get caught it will cost me £60 plus points on my licence.

Still if you have an illegal number plate that's a chance you take. The main law I break is a speed limit, but I accept that if I get caught it will cost me £60 plus points on my licence.

If only I got done by a camera £165 + 4 points 36 in a 30.... near a primary school apparently but @ 9.00pm!!!

plus there's a recognised safety issue behind breaking the speed limit. most would accept that they're there for good reason, even tho motorists regularly break them.

this numberplate issue is something else entirely. my numberplate doesn't put someone's life in danger. it doesn't affect someone else's well being, and the law isn't there for my own benefit either.

it's retarded, and should be changed. police should be catching the bad guys as both me and PaulAr are saying, not wasting time because the spacing on my numberplate is slightly incorrect.

There are two schools of thought here clearly.

The law is the law, stick to it or try to change it, that's democracy.

I had German font number plates on my car (including the GB Euro badge with standard spacing) until my wife got pulled over by a kid straight out of police acadamy.

He started off by asking for the appropriate German paperwork for the car (trying to be funny), my wife just played dumb and claimed she didn't know what he was talking about as it was a UK registered car. Apparentley his face lit up like a Christmas tree, then slapped 'her' with a £60 non-endorsable fine for incorrect sizing of lettering (not even a sniff of a correction notice).

Now dont get me wrong, I broke the law by having them on there so he had every right to give out a £60 fine, but as my wife was on her own in my car and had no idea what the guy was talking about surely he could have given her a correction notice and then if he saw the car again with the same plates then issue a fixed penalty notice?

Obviously I have now bought a set of legal plates from Dubmeister through this site's group buy which has their name, postcode and the British Standard number etched on the plate. But I must admit I do find the German font plates easier to read than the new UK plates (and the German font size is the dearest bit smaller).

I am afraid that it is generally the driver who is responsible.... would you get in someones car and drive it with bald tyres and expect not to be prosecuted if caught.

I had German font number plates on my car (including the GB Euro badge with standard spacing) until my wife got pulled over by a kid straight out of police acadamy.

He started off by asking for the appropriate German paperwork for the car (trying to be funny), my wife just played dumb and claimed she didn't know what he was talking about as it was a UK registered car. Apparentley his face lit up like a Christmas tree, then slapped 'her' with a £60 non-endorsable fine for incorrect sizing of lettering (not even a sniff of a correction notice).

Now dont get me wrong, I broke the law by having them on there so he had every right to give out a £60 fine, but as my wife was on her own in my car and had no idea what the guy was talking about surely he could have given her a correction notice and then if he saw the car again with the same plates then issue a fixed penalty notice?

Obviously I have now bought a set of legal plates from Dubmeister through this site's group buy which has their name, postcode and the British Standard number etched on the plate. But I must admit I do find the German font plates easier to read than the new UK plates (and the German font size is the dearest bit smaller).

Ive experienced this type of ****** before, gets a buzz out of applying strong arm tactics to the letter of the law instead of descretion and a slap on the wrist. Especially when dealing with average Joe (or Josie in this case).

IMO its the difference between a decent Copper, who is looking after public interest, and a tosser looking to boost some personal tally to make up for getting picked last for the footie team at school.

Just watch that Coppers programme on TV (Monday eves?) there is a ball bag on there who openly admits "wanting to lock people up" to make his day more interesting, and other self undulgent reasons.

In a world of street crime and disrespectful chavs, we dont need it.
Boils my ****.

End of rant.

Cheers
Paul

plus there's a recognised safety issue behind breaking the speed limit. most would accept that they're there for good reason, even tho motorists regularly break them.

this numberplate issue is something else entirely. my numberplate doesn't put someone's life in danger. it doesn't affect someone else's well being, and the law isn't there for my own benefit either.

it's retarded, and should be changed. police should be catching the bad guys as both me and PaulAr are saying, not wasting time because the spacing on my numberplate is slightly incorrect.

Yes but you could say that breaking the speed limit has no effect on road safety. German has areas of autobahn where there is no speed limit and there accident record is better than in the UK. The difference is that it's much harder to pass the driving test in Germany and consequently they are generally better drivers.

Personally I'm sure there are people who could argue that just about every law is silly to some, but numbers plates are just the thin edge of the wedge. If that law is not enforced then some drivers will think they can ignore almost any law relating to their car. Only one working headlight or rear light springs to mind, badly adjusted headlights, over tinted windows, xenons without self levelling, television screens visable to the driver, the list goes on. Also as far as the Police are concerned an illegal number plate is a valid reason to stop a car. Once stopped they can easily check the driver has a valid driving licence and insurance and the car is not stolen. I'm sure if it was your car that had been stolen you would be glad they had stopped the car.

I just cannot understand why anyone would want to have an illegal number plate in the first place. Why on earth spend a lot of money on a car and then immediately make the whole package illegal by fitting illegal plates. Just doesn't make sense. My personal reaction if I come up behind a car that has an illegal plate is not 'Oh that looks nice' it's far more 'What a complete idiot' and I know a lot of people who feel the same.
'

My issue here is the punishment fitting the crime.

Its a petty offence.
Slap on the wrist and a defect notice, fair enough.

£60 fine and/or ***** ***** giving you a hard time and enjoying it is OTT in every sense.

cheers
Paul

Yes but you could say that breaking the speed limit has no effect on road safety. German has areas of autobahn where there is no speed limit and there accident record is better than in the UK. The difference is that it's much harder to pass the driving test in Germany and consequently they are generally better drivers.

You made a point.. and then killed the same point, in one breath.

If that law is not enforced then some drivers will think they can ignore almost any law relating to their car. Only one working headlight or rear light springs to mind, badly adjusted headlights, over tinted windows, xenons without self levelling, television screens visable to the driver, the list goes on.

Don't think I agree with that and not good examples there either. Everything you've listed there goes back to what was mentioned earlier about incorrect number plate spacing having no impact on the safety of your car or other's, whereas all that you have listed there can/does.

I just cannot understand why anyone would want to have an illegal number plate in the first place.

Because it looks good to them. It's for the same reasons that somebody would add something like a spoiler, splitter, etc etc etc. And in most cases, when the private plate refers to their name, it's an even more personal styling mod.

For what it is worth I have exactly the same feelings about this as h5djr, can't see the point of changing to non-standard plates and if you choose to do it then just accept that some traffic officers or cameras will pick you out.

I do also agree that it is a bit of a pointless law, but it is not helped by having too many people who can physically make plates up in the first place, so enforcing it is too difficult. If only the DVLA could make the plates, then the issue would go away.

Finally, the biggest issue (and I am sure most people would agree with this) is people who try to make the plate look like something else, either by moving letters closer together (e.g. 1&3 to make a B) or by using imaginary screw covers for dots. I have actually reported these to the fuzz before, because they were so bad that it was clear that no camera would ever be able to recognise them, and there has to be a reason why someone would go to such lengths to remain undetectable.

As has been said earlier, the real issue is that if you are willing to do something that is classified as illegal, whether you agree with the law or not, then you have to acceopt there is a risk of punishment. I would much rather people were given a warning first, but the poice are not obliged to do this.

Finally, the biggest issue (and I am sure most people would agree with this) is people who try to make the plate look like something else, either by moving letters closer together (e.g. 1&3 to make a B) or by using imaginary screw covers for dots. I have actually reported these to the fuzz before, because they were so bad that it was clear that no camera would ever be able to recognise them, and there has to be a reason why someone would go to such lengths to remain undetectable.

As has been said earlier, the real issue is that if you are willing to do something that is classified as illegal, whether you agree with the law or not, then you have to acceopt there is a risk of punishment. I would much rather people were given a warning first, but the poice are not obliged to do this.

And evidently the risk of getting caught is even higher with people like you squealing to the cops.

It's a bit of a leap assuming that because a plate's numbering looks a bit like something else then there "has to be" a dodgy reason for it, and then reporting them.
I would guess that 99% of the time its just because they are going for the cheap option and trying to achieve a result without paying through the nose for it.
I'm not saying they're right for doing it that extremely, but grassing them up??? Nah.

Last edited:
For what it is worth I have exactly the same feelings about this as h5djr, can't see the point of changing to non-standard plates and if you choose to do it then just accept that some traffic officers or cameras will pick you out.

I do also agree that it is a bit of a pointless law, but it is not helped by having too many people who can physically make plates up in the first place, so enforcing it is too difficult. If only the DVLA could make the plates, then the issue would go away.

As has been said earlier, the real issue is that if you are willing to do something that is classified as illegal, whether you agree with the law or not, then you have to accept there is a risk of punishment. I would much rather people were given a warning first, but the poice are not obliged to do this.

I agree. The sooner the UK moves to a similar system as most of Europe where registration plates can only be provided by the licensing authority or perhaps registered suppliers of new cars the better. That way we would not any any illegal plates. The LA is not going to supply them and registered new car supplies are not going to risk a £5000 fine to make up illegal ones. This would also make cloning cars a bit more difficult. At the moment there are thousands of small suppliers who are prepared to take the risk and hope they will not get caught and fined to make a few quit from illegal plates. At one stage illegal plates could be made providing the customer said they were 'Show Plates' and would not be used on the road but the law was fairly recently changed so that now it is illegal for any supplier to make up any plate which does not comply with the current regulations concerning typeface, size and spacing of the digits with or without the EU/GB blue flash and it has their name and/or post code on the plate to show who made it. The plates must also be made from material complying with the current British Standard AU 145d. The fine for displaying an illegal number plate can be up to £1000 and the right to use that number can be withdrawn for repeat offences so those who have been made to pay a £60 fixed penalty have got off quite cheaply. For full details of the rules concerning number plates see:
Displaying your registration number : Directgov - Motoring

As far as I am personally concerned the more cars that are stopped by the police or fail the MOT because of illegal plates the better.

I am afraid that it is generally the driver who is responsible.... would you get in someones car and drive it with bald tyres and expect not to be prosecuted if caught.

You cant really put these two offences in the same category as one is a cosmetic change and the other effects the handling on the car (not even the police put them in the same category as you get 3 points per corner for bald tyres).

And to be fair my wife has no interest in modifying cars so wouldn't have noticed the difference in plates anyway :yes:

You cant really put these two offences in the same category as one is a cosmetic change and the other effects the handling on the car (not even the police put them in the same category as you get 3 points per corner for bald tyres).

And to be fair my wife has no interest in modifying cars so wouldn't have noticed the difference in plates anyway :yes:

Both are illegal! I merely made the point that it is the drivers responsibility to check that the vehicle they are driving is roadworthy. I assume that your wife noticed that your numberplates were 'different' in the same way as I hope she would know if a tyre was bald. I appreciate that not everyone (male or female) checks their cars (modded or not) and I hope that as your actions caused the fine you will be helping her pay!

Oh I paid all £60......She made sure of that :jester:

As stated before, my wife didn't notice the difference in the plates as the difference in lettering is very subtle in my opinion (obviously not subtle enough for the police not to notice :haha::angrymod:), but yes she is more than capable of noticing a bald tyre (but to be fair the way the Bridgestones act in the wet you'd think they were bald :eyebrows:)

Well done on paying up!

I personally like the idea in other parts of Europe where you have to have a Local Numberplate (or descriptor) In France etc ...Paris 75, Eure et Loire 28 Bordeaux 33 etc. this number also matches Postcodes. In Germany HH Hildesheim IN etc etc... Why we are so daft as to have the system we have in the UK goodness only knows. BUT the law is the law... try to change it if you don't like it.. or vote Lib Dem or Tory when they will completely ignore their pre election manefestos.... not supporting Labour Per se but this Con-Dem are pretty **** at the moment for most of us. 20% VAT Fuel going up etc etc ..

My first car was a Rover 214, an Irish one, number plate was YXI 787Y, Failed the MOT on incorrect spacing between lettering and the fact that the I was a 1 or the other way aroung which meant the space was in the wrong place too origionally.

My first car was a Rover 214, an Irish one, number plate was YXI 787Y, Failed the MOT on incorrect spacing between lettering and the fact that the I was a 1 or the other way aroung which meant the space was in the wrong place too origionally.

YXI 787Y isn't an Irish plate... In fact I don't think it's a legal plate at all.... anyone else?

YXI 787Y isn't an Irish plate... In fact I don't think it's a legal plate at all.... anyone else?

I think the YXI indicates it's a Northern Ireland registration number. Not sure if they ever used the Y suffix.

Correct & NO they didn't (95% sure!).... hence my post.