Facelift Panel beaters broke my Matrix headlights

ST3V

Reaction score
Hey guys. 2019 S3 Sedan here.

I was in a not at fault accident and took the car to my insurances preferred repairer for cosmetic damage of the rear quarter (about 3 panels and the skirt were hit). They had it for 6 days.

Picked up my car today and my Matrix headlights aren't working! I can high beam, but not getting the auto mode when I flick the lever forward.

To top it off, I found 7 plastic T5 threaded nuts in my cup holder. Should I be worried?

They're not open until Monday, so I thought I'd ask you guys beforehand if you might know what they've done to my Matrix lights? Possibly something to do with the windscreen camera? I don't see any mention of them touching the headlamps themselves.

I've attached their quoted remove + refit work.

I don't know if I trust these guys, so I'd rather know what I'm dealing with before I take the car back to them.

Attachments

• 20200703_215544.jpg
    20200703_215544.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 194
What have they done to the front screen when carrying out a rear quarter repair?

If your windscreen has been out the camera for the matrix system needs to be recalibrated. They should have done this already and know it needs doing. If they don't or insist it doesn't then not sure I'd be trusting of the other work they've done but not much you can do about that now.

In the UK we don't have to use our insurers repairers and it's well advised not to.

Reactions: ST3V
What have they done to the front screen when carrying out a rear quarter repair?

If your windscreen has been out the camera for the matrix system needs to be recalibrated. They should have done this already and know it needs doing. If they don't or insist it doesn't then not sure I'd be trusting of the other work they've done but not much you can do about that now.

In the UK we don't have to use our insurers repairers and it's well advised not to.

Absolutely no idea what theyd be doing on the windscreen. Definitely going to follow it up on Monday. Thanks for your advice regarding the calibration.

I've never been in an accident before and the insurance company was really pushing to use their own repairer. Live and learn I guess.

Check all around your screen inside and out to see if they have damaged anything...can't see why they'd remove the screen though! Unless they damaged it by doing something else!

On a side note, some of the times they get to do jobs make me laugh, guys in our place get 90 seconds to pick, fit, connect, locate a jig and tighten a headlamp! And if needed they can take one off just as fast. Years back I was on rectification, two of us could remove all the interior and exterior tim that was needed to be removed, then cut a windscreen out, fit a new windscreen and put all the trim back on in about 15 mins. Bet the dealership would want the car for the day :D

No idea on the headlights, but I'd guess the windscreen was removed so the could paint the A-pillar, rather than blending the paint in along the roof line - which does sound like they've done a decent job! So many repair places don't even remove the windows, they just mask round them and you get a less impressive repair job. Hope you get it sorted soon though.

I work for an insurance company and deal with claims.
Was the damaged panel near the lights?

Would be happy to walk you through the complaints process and talk you through your rights on the phone if you PM me

Reactions: JohnM100, S32B and ST3V