OFT to launch fuel price review

Reload

Bird is the Word!
Reaction score
At last, the Office of Fair Trading is launching a full review of fuel pricing in the UK. I think this is potentially a significant step in getting fuel in this country proceed fairly. The story is on BBC news (apologies for no link but I'm on my phone and don't know how to).
If any ASN'rs haven't already I'd ask you to join the Fairfuel website. It's free and down to their pressure that this review is being conducted :thumbup:

Great news.

Not sure they will succeed in proving anything, but good luck to them. I am getting royally ****** off with the huge difference between one garage and the next. 1.39 at the top of my road, 1.34 at the garage 2 miles down the road. Same petrol company. In fact, there are two BP garages on opposite sides of the dual carriageway, and the northbound is 1p dearer than the southbound. Same petrol company.

Oily *******s

There is 6p difference between Sainsbury's and BP round our way, and loads of people still use the BP. They moan like hell but then fan the flames. People should have the brains to boycott the most expensive, but too many company car drivers round here getting nectar points.

Sainsburys and BP both do Nectar points. So the people paying 6p more are either thick, lazy or drunk.

I suppose if it's company car the more they pay for the fuel the more nectar points they get on their personal nectar card.

Yeah, I suppose that is true. But not all company car drivers get the fuel paid for. And for me, I get a mileage rate fixed by the tax man, so it still pays me to seek a cheaper pump.

Heres hoping something comes about of it as the last 10p reduction afew months ago was great. And now its back to the same price. The fuel prices are now crazy beyond belief. I was trying to work out it out.....when I did my HNC in Aeronautical Engineering I can remember filling the car up at Albrighton and it was 63p a litre. That was 1997.....so in 15 yrs it has more than doubled.....outrageous!!!!

petrol-prices.png

It was £0.38 per litre when I started driving in 1989 and I used to moan like hell putting a fiver in the Mk1 Golf to get her to a quarter of a tank!! If you'd told me then I'd be driving a similar car in 20 years time and it would cost nearly 4 times as much I'd have told you to get help.

If I'd stayed doing the same job that I had in the 90's the salary in that job has not gone up 4 fold, yet gas / electric / fuel prices (and to some extent even cars) seem to have gone up hugely.

Whilst I welcome the review, fuel prices are too similar across Europe for anything to happen, so don't get your hopes up, and Osbourne's itching to whack another 3p on, so if it does come down by 5p, 3p will go back on immediately!

sickening. theres a gulf garage not far from me in cardiff that has the cheek to charge £1.54 a ltr. yet i atill see people using it

All the petrol stations are independantly owned, so they can charge what they want to really, even if they are the same brand on either side of the road, annoying really, but what can you do....its business!!

We have a Shell by us that has Unleaded at 134.9, the next nearest one is 136.9 and the Sainsburys across the road from it is 137.9.

Who said supermarkets are cheaper?

I dont understand why all of a sudden the prices have started increasing by a penny at least every couple of days.

The sooner they invent cars that run off fresh air the better. The car has given man freedoms he never had before. A car that runs on fresh air will revolutionise the world and give the people more freedom than ever before.

And then we can tell Iraq to stick their oil back in the ground LOL