New Battery - A3 Sportback 2007 Sport

RL

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking to replace my battery and not sure if I should go for an up-rated one or just standard replacement offering. I think it is the original battery so nearly 10 years old. Or at the least a replacement OEM fit as it is a MOLL battery which I believe Audi and many VAG cars use.

Any advice on what to go for? Looked at a few from the usual places where you stick your reg in and get options.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Photo 19-11-2016, 13 19 35.jpg
    Photo 19-11-2016, 13 19 35.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 3,654
Just buy a battery from a local car parts shop or Eurocarparts, even Halfords if the price is right. Go for a branded battery such as Exide, Varta etc. with a 3 or 5year guarantee.
The shop will match up battery rating to match your car and most independents will fit it for you. Or you could faff around on the internet for days waiting and save a couple of £'s which is not worth it.
You should be able to find one for £70 to £100 depending whether you have a diesel or petrol engine, the diesel engine ones are the higher rated batteries hence they cost a bit more.

Sorry should have said it's a diesel. Thanks for the advice, will likely go to a local place as there's not much in price and they should fit it as you say. Don't need to faff around then. Any issues to be aware of due to battery disconnection?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not true , i have just bought a new battery from Tayna online , brilliant next day service .

Not true , i have just bought a new battery from Tayna online , brilliant next day service .

Ha ha, you still had to wait a day :sm4: If it was around £70inc. post, that is good.

Sorry should have said it's a diesel. Thanks for the advice, will likely go to a local place as there's not much in price and they should fit it as you say. Don't need to faff around then. Any issues to be aware of due to battery disconnection?

If your not in a hurry then try Michael Palmers suggestion. No problems with discon and recon battery, You only have to reset the Auto window function, Hold window switch up until the window closes and the relay clicks and then the same for window down, repeat this on all the Auto window switches in the car.

Reactions: RL
I bought a battery for my A3 1.9tdi recently from Tayna Batteries. It arrived the next day (if you order before 4pm) and was packaged very well.

I got the Varta Silver - which is equivalent to the Bosch S5 - excellent battery. Comes with a 5 year guarantee. I paid in total £64 including postage.

Here's a link to it, but looks like the price has gone up either that or the pricing was wrong because I paid a lot less than that haha!

https://www.tayna.co.uk/E44-Varta-Silver-Car-Battery-577400078-P7726.html

Last edited:
Yeah price seems to vary depending on what your car is engine wise. The best price I found for mine was £86 for a Duracell one with 5 yr warranty from Eurocarparts, but that was using a 30% off weekend discount code. I ended up getting a Halfords one with 4 yr warranty this morning for £92 as I wanted to get it done today.

Only problem I had was getting to the bolt that holds the clamp down. Need an extension bar to reach it nicely. Did the window thing that Soot1 mentioned. Also got the ESP fault and steering warning on the dash after the swap, but once I drove around for 5 mins that all cleared.

Thanks for your help all.

Reactions: Mujnu
Had my car battery checked today and it needs changing. Local place called Supac recommended a Yuasa 06 for £60 but Halfords have one for £149 because of the start/stop tech on the car... I was considering a Bosch S4 for about £75

Anyone shed some light on this for me?

Had my car battery checked today and it needs changing. Local place called Supac recommended a Yuasa 06 for £60 but Halfords have one for £149 because of the start/stop tech on the car... I was considering a Bosch S4 for about £75

Anyone shed some light on this for me?

Makes are much alike. Check the Crank Amps CCA and AH power to get a decent cold start and power retention. Most definitely get the right type of battery for stop/start. I noticed these are a fair chunk more than standard cars.

Yes it is a fair size... Was hoping i don't have to fork out loads... Halfords got one for 149 i will look in there in the morning see what they say.

Halfrauds is an expensive place to buy a battery that is usually a lower quality item than something like a Varta silver dynamic. If the car has stop start and you want it to work properly and intend keeping the car for a few years make sure you get the right battery.
Either an AGM or EFB battery again Varta are very good.
If you leave a failing battery till the point where you need it now then you are unlikely to get it for a good price and may end up paying more for a lesser battery. As above a lot of the on line sellers such as Tayna deliver next day. Also Varta make Bosch batteries and almost always a Varta battery will be cheaper than the equivalent Bosch battery.
@RL a Varta D15 silver dynamic would have been a good choice
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Varta-D15...-Audi-BMW-Fiat-Kia-Mazda-Volvo-/371759960915?
@Keyz take a picture of the top of the battery with the part number on. If it is stop start it probably is an AGM or EFB battery and you really need it replaced with the similar spec as the battery management needs a battery of similar performance to the OE battery to work correctly.

Reactions: audiwaterpump
I spent some time looking much like the links you offer. You are right that you can search and find cheaper deals. But I don't agree with quality bit fully. Although i am not at all a champion or lover of Halfords, why would the battery be of lower quality and also you get 4/5 year guarantee like the ones you suggest. Also the one I got has much better CCA and AH than the link suggested.

But anyway each to their own. If I had more time I would have waited but I didn't so got the Halfords one.

Have noticed a massive difference in cold starts this week, far better.

Varta AGM on mine... Would like a direct or better replacement if possible. Any ideas or links please guys????
7def8658571df5b089e656936339d1e7.jpg
ddad46fc6aa2c147ea45b025533fc512.jpg

I presume the £92 battery you got was this one. An 096 calcium battery with a 4yr warranty.
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bu...alfords-calcium-battery-hcb096-4-yr-guarantee 75Ah and 680A
The batteries I linked above are AGM or EFB batteries for stop/start applications. Same physical size but they don't usually have as high a capacity in Ah but the CCA is higher.
The equivalent silver dynamic battery to the Halfords one you bought is an E44
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Type-096-...Car-Battery-77AH-SIZE-096-audi-/282267451356? 77Ah and 780A for £77 .

The Varta blue battery an E11 is 74Ah and 680A with a 4yr warranty the same as the Halfords battery for £79
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Varta-E11...-Alfa-Audi-Citreon-Mercedes-Vo-/351873850233?

At Halfords you are paying for the convenience of being able to just drop in, and they will also fit it for you for a reasonable amount if you are not confident in doing that. But if you are confident in changing a battery out and want the best battery for a lower price the net is the place to go.

@Keyz the battery I would fit in that if it was mine is an E39 Varta.
https://www.tayna.co.uk/E39-Varta-Start-Stop-Plus-AGM-Car-Battery-570901076-P4367.html
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/096-START-STOP-CAR-BATTERY-VARTA-E39-/201609785542?

The original battery is rated 68Ah 680A , The E39 70Ah 760A

The Halfords battery at £149 is an identical spec and actually looks similar to a Varta battery as it is pretty much identical in the details except is black plastic and only has a 4yr warranty.
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bu...-start-stop-agm-battery-096agm-4-yr-guarantee

Varta-E39-AGM-Car-Battery-096.jpg

Last edited:
I had to call the RAC out for 2009 2.0 TFSi, checked the battery, an unbranded thing, and it's failed. It looked like I was looking at a Halfords option as they're next to work but I've managed to get home and now have the luxury of shopping around. From the checker an 096 battery is what I need, if I had a bit more time then I'd probably go with a Varta Silver from Tayna, good CCA, etc for £81.50 including delivery.

So I was looking at Eurocarparts as I can collect today or tomorrow and it throws up Duracell options if I punch in my reg. If I do a search on 096 batteries there are a lot of options and a Bosch S5, same rating as the Varta, is normally £155, but with the blackfriday code is £105.

Before I take the plunge anyone recommend a better/cheaper option that fits with a quick turnaround?

Bosch batteries are made by Varta. The Bosch S5 is a Varta silver dynamic. The Bosch S4 a Varta Blue Dynamic .
Varta batteries are always cheaper than the Bosch equivalents.
Go with the S5 from ECP unless you can find a local supplier who stocks Varta. You probably wouldn't save that much
Again buying off the web is always cheaper if you have the option. Car parts for less is the on line part of ECP. It's always cheaper.
http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/p/////?444770968&0&cc5_1004 with the 15% discount (black15)works out at £90.78 delivered.
But you need the battery now so ECP is probably the best bet.

Bosch batteries are made by Varta. The Bosch S5 is a Varta silver dynamic. The Bosch S4 a Varta Blue Dynamic .
Varta batteries are always cheaper than the Bosch equivalents.
Go with the S5 from ECP unless you can find a local supplier who stocks Varta. You probably wouldn't save that much
Again buying off the web is always cheaper if you have the option. Car parts for less is the on line part of ECP. It's always cheaper.
http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/p/////?444770968&0&cc5_1004 with the 15% discount (black15)works out at £90.78 delivered.
But you need the battery now so ECP is probably the best bet.

One of the battery suppliers I've used in the past explained about Varta being the maker of Bosch batteries and that Varta is generally cheaper. I found the supplier I've been to in the past in Sheffield (SYSBS) and they have the Varta Silver 77 Ah 780 CCA in stock for £83 and in the past they used to fit them for free there and then just to be sure you were happy. So all sorted, thanks for the advice and thanks for the tip about carparts4less, never knew that and will prove useful in future.

Really appreciate the help guys... Think that Varta E39 is the one for me then. My boss is putting it through company account so should save 20% on vat which makes it a bit easier to take on the pocket.

New battery delivered today. Anything I need to know before switching it over? Faults appearing, re coding anything???

New battery delivered today. Anything I need to know before switching it over? Faults appearing, re coding anything???

All I needed to do was the two things I listed earlier in the thread.

Reactions: Keyz
Finished work an hour ago but sat here waiting on yodel to deliver the battery. Typical they haven't arrived with it. Boss has even left for the day, at least he left the office warm.

Little help if possible guys... fitted new battery last week and car has been running great. Today it was completely flat, only been parked up since Wednesday night inside works unit. Any ideas? Alternator is fine as I had it checked already.

Must be something drawing current when the car is parked up. ECU and alarm draws miniscule amounts of current and should not be a problem. Are there any aftermarket mods. or wiring alterations?

Nothing apart from what I fitted since buying it. I put in new leds inside car to replace old ones as they were flickering. Changed number plate bulbs and I fitted a Denison pro Bluetooth into rear of stereo. Only other thing is my dash cam which is hard wired into the fuse box and running off rear wiper fuse. Cam is only connected when I drive. No power goes to it once switched off as it knocks off with engine/ignition.