New 3.2 DSG owner

mikeav6

Reaction score
Hi all

Thought i'd take the oppotunity to introduce myself and mention a couple of potential issues with my new car. Overall, the car is fantastic, fast, smooth and refined. I only got the car on Friday night but I'm going to speak to the garage on Monday regarding the below:

1.) Hesitation/surging between 1800-2000 rpm. From reading around, I expect it needs the software update from Audi
2.) Jerky when setting off. Its almost impossible to set off smoothly, its almost like the car 'drops' the clutch. I have to be incredibly gentle with the throttle to get it to move off smoothly.
3.) Squeeling noise from what sounds like auxilliary/fan belt down drivers side of the engine. Its intermittent, like every few seconds. May just need lubricating or something?

Must say though, I still love it. Couple of pics:
FrontRight.jpg

Back.jpg

Regards

Mike

Welcome :)

Car's looking good!

Yes the Update should get rid of that hesitation.

lovely looking motor mikeav6 glad to see the small problem havent put you off the car :icon_thumright:

Nice car there mate, welcome to the 3.2 club. Lovely cars.

Get the update from Audi. I had mine done about a month ago. Made all the difference and car is so nice to drive.

Cheers

i'm getting the update soon too.
as for issue 2 - think you just get used to that. i'd sometimes set off quite jerky, and also gear change from 1-2 sometimes 2-3 and it was just down to the way i'd got used to driving my previous car. i used to take foot off gas, then press in clutch. now with the 3.2 i kind of hold the throttle steady whilst dipping cutch and it is a lot smoother. just be careful to not slip the clutch when bringing foot back off clutch in next gear! (should have releases throttle slightly by time you do)

Hello,

Nice car mate,

Do Audi update it free of charge?

Nope you will have to pay the labour charges incurred for the time taken installing the update and that's if you're lucky. Loads of Audi dealers seem insistant on charging for an initial diagnostic check.

Am planning on booking mine in for the end of this month, can somebody please let me know which software version I should be running after the update?

Cheers!

Engines:
starting from 8/2003 BDB - version 8087 (manual), version 8088 (DSG)
starting from 9/2004 BMJ - version 8035 (manual), version 8036 (DSG)
starting from 11/2005 BOY (only the first variants)

check this http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?78089-Help-needed!..3.2Q-DSG-Hesitant-engine-2k-rpm/page13 for info

from thread -

What do I say to the dealer?
You heard that AUDI a software update makes available for the VR6 3.2-Liter-Motoren, which the Motorruckeln, vibrating, jerky no-load operation and power loss are to repair.

What, if it does not know or finds the update?
Give it the TPL procedure number: 2005748/4
Internal message code 8P01A005 or the updates CD No. 4F0 906,961 N is needed

You will need to give them the TPL No. or they will not find the update on the available list from Audi GB.

TPL Procedure No 2005748/4
Int Message Code 8P01A005
Update CD 4F0906961N

Nice car by the way and a good choice if I may say so myself!!

Hi everyone and thanks for the kind comments. Thanks for all the codes above which should make getting it sorted a bit easier. Spoke with the garage today and they were aware of the hesitation on the car so bit dissapointed that they did 't sort it pre-sale. Then again, it's all about money I suppose.

Hopefully will get the bits sorted then got a trip to the lakes planned in july and then down to south of France in august. Can't wait!

Hi. I went to my local Audi garage, gave them the TPL number etc. They took my registration and said that that update wasn't available for my car. They said there is an update available which is supposed to cure hesitation above 5k but I don't have that problem. The Evans Halshaw that I bought the car from are sending it to Audi to get the hesitation and gearbox looked at. I will give them the TPL number again and tell them that it may not show as an available update but that it is what it needs and that it should be on software version 8036 when they have finished.

Hi Mike, I originally found the update on a german website after spending 10 months looking for the cure. Numerous independants and main dealers looked at the problem but couldn't sort it out.
Audi will tell you EVERY time that your car has the latest software on because the computer tells them that, the only way to approach it is to give them all the relevant info and hope that they are willing to play ball
Unfortunately until Audi UK accept that there is a problem and put the update on general release then it's hit and miss getting it done at the moment I'm afraid.
Keep with it though and you will get it sorted.

BTW welcome to the 3.2 club:cool:

Julian that isn't stictly the case.... When they plugged my new ecu in and plugged it in on there computer it listed the new update.

I'm guessing that they dont even bother...

Julian that isn't stictly the case.... When they plugged my new ecu in and plugged it in on there computer it listed the new update.

I'm guessing that they dont even bother...
That's interesting then. It shows as a valid update for your new ECU on a manual car even though it came with old software preloaded, but DSG's don't, just shows how ridiculous the situation is.

Hehe yeh came with old software on it but showed the update when plugged into there machine!

I'll make sure the update gets done if I have to go and camp out in Audi Service reception because I can't be on with this hesitation nonsense. I've started driving it in manual mode around town to stay above 2k rpm.

Will keep you updated on how I get on. Car goes in on 6th July.

Hi all. Just an update on the above. I had the update done and I must say the car is much much better. Really smooth drive and sounds much healthier. Definitely worth it if you have the hesitation issue.

I am disappointed though that they haven't sorted my squeaking engine. They claimed they couldn't hear it. I took it round the block after collection and took it straight back to them as it is blatently obvious. The Evans Halshaw guy asked me to take it back down to Audi for their technician to have a listen. He says it could be a tensioner, the alternator, power steering pump, or the water pump. He needs to get it up onto the ramps and take under tray off to track it down. As a result I took it back to Evans Halshaw and left it there again. Downside is that they only have crap Citreon C2's as courtesy cars. Bit of a step down!

Might get to drive this car at some point!

Hey glad you got the hesitation sorted! Better isnt it! Mines just needed the coils renewing but wow even better again!

Sure you will get to the bottom of the squeaking engine, cant be too much surely! Good luck..

Thanks Sarah. Well I'm just glad its under warranty and credit to Evans Halshaw, they haven't argued any step of the way they have just happily sent the car to Audi and paid them so I'm sure it will get sorted!

Car is so much better to drive though, just get rid of that squeak and we're sorted. Can start saving for my Remus/Milltek then!

yeh and all of the rest! It never stops! One mod leads onto the next on here lol

Enjoy the car though, it certainly makes you smile