MK5 golf TDI starting problems...

Rudidudi

Reaction score
I was driving when the battery light came on and engine cut out.

I tried starting the engine, but the engine turned over but didnt fire.

I tried again after about an hour and it eventually started up. It went from just turning over, to signs of firing, to actually firing and running.

A couple of days earlier I noticed that it took few seconds of the key turned for the engine to start.

The next morning (after the breakdown) the engine started immediately.

Any ideas on what it could be or where to start looking?

Thanks!

These intermittent type faults are always difficult to pin down. I would start with a scan for faults to see if anything is recorded in the ECU such as a failing camshaft/crankshaft sensor. For peace of mind I would test the battery with a simple multi-meter - without the engine running a good battery should be showing voltage of around 12.5-12.8V and with the engine running it should be somewhere in the range 14 - 14.8V which shows that the alternator is working/charging. I would then move onto simple things like fuel and air filters to check for a forgotten service item that might have become restricted. Fuel filters can get forgotten and if your car is anything like mine the air filter sits on a removable rack to allow any moisture to run off - the area below this rack can accumulate quite a lot of leaves and feathers etc - I would remove the rack, inspect the area and vacuum out if need be. After that you may have to consider some fault in the ignition key/immobiliser unit or fuel delivery systems - perhaps getting it checked at an auto-electrician? :shrug:

the battery and charging circuit are good. the engine cranked over very quickly and over a sustained period.

i have since started the engine and it fires up immediately.

i serviced the car less than a month ago and drove to italy and back, it was faultless.

I don't think it was an immobiliser just based on the sound when it was cranking and started to fire up. It kind of felt like a fueling issue.

I'm wondering if this would be due to a dodgy sensor? Ive read that the crank sensor can break down when hot? Any ideas where this is - I could preemptively change this?

anyone have any ideas? :disappointed:
Mines just done this and it was oil pump balance shaft failure, very common. It's got 152k on clock and not worth the cost of a new oil pump, despite being loaded with extras.

Not saying it's the same, but very similar symptoms as mine. I took the hot and bought a much newer car to replace Golf.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Mines just done this and it was oil pump balance shaft failure

Not saying it's the same, but very similar symptoms as mine.

Did yours start ok sometimes but struggle at other times?

I've read about this, seems common on 2.0 tdis, what was yours? (mine is 1.9tdi 105bhp)

Did yours start ok sometimes but struggle at other times?

I've read about this, seems common on 2.0 tdis, what was yours? (mine is 1.9tdi 105bhp)
Ah no mine was a 140bhp gt. No once it died it didn't restart, red oil pressure light after 10 seconds of turning over. Never did it again, it's in the garage getting new balance shaft thing.

Yours might be crankshaft sensor or skipped cambelt tooth?

Ahh, thanks JudderMan

Mine has started fine the few times I tried it since (in the morning), left it running for a 2 or 3 minutes.

It runs perfectly once started, so I'm guessing timing is ok.

I've read that the crank sensor can be temperamental at higher temperatures me can lead to similar experiences. Seems like a cheap swap to try.

I've also read about fuel pressure due to a magnet flap somewhere near the pump?

Any other things I should consider?

Hmm not sure what else sorry, at first it just sounded like mine and got worried for you.

Hmm not sure what else sorry, at first it just sounded like mine and got worried for you.

Ah mine isn't the oil pump it's fuel pump, and yes it was causing intermittent starting problems and just stopping the engine while running.

Lift back seats and tap the fuel pump while starting. If that doesn't work, get a new fuel pump. Mines getting fitted on Monday then car getting sold as we just bought an A1.

thought id circle back with the results

i was lucky enough to be driving when it stalled and wouldnt restart.

i checked for fuel at the filter and nothing. tested the plug to the fuel pump and it had volts. checking the fuel pump showed a weak and interittent flow.

so, i changed the fuel pump in the tank. fuel gushed out on igntion

tested with vcds and noticed that the cam rpm wasnt right, 200 rpm at times on idle. also it continued to show cam snsor

changed the cam sensor, cleared code, all good!

Reactions: JudderMan