Merc C63 AMG

Cyprio

Reaction score
Thinking of swapping the S4 for a c63 amg - anyone on here had any experience with the c63?

Reactions: SI-W85
C63 AMG?
Ohhh the noise! :jump:

Ohhh the petrol costs! :(

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

PS Do it! ;)

Reactions: Cyprio
3 guys I work with have them , awesome cars , and not bad on fuel according to them .

I've driven a few and they are a weapon to say the least. Wouldn't fancy fueling one like.

Gearbox's aren't anywhere near as good (change wise) as Audi's

Great fun in the dry beware on wet roads though it's very easy to swap ends! The new amg C450 looks interesting and its 4wd.

Went to local Merc dealer and he's gonna get one in for me to have a go, I'll let you guy's know how I get on.:)

Reactions: Boydie
I've driven a few and they are a weapon to say the least. Wouldn't fancy fueling one like.

Gearbox's aren't anywhere near as good (change wise) as Audi's

Yeah I've heard the paddle-shift isn't as fast to react as the Audi's.

I used to work for MB (F1 Engine Manufacture) and had a 58 plate, I went through 6 tyres in 9 months, 2 front and of course 4 rears, thats 10 tyres fitted to the car from the point it came of the production line to when I returned it 270ish days later. The noise is like nothing else, more power than my current RS4 AVant but scary in the wet and unusable in ice and snow, really unusable, thats not an exageration.

The gearbox is lazy though, old style auto and along with Merc's traction control etc. will f*ck you over in the ice and snow and you go knowhere.

E90 M3 coupe is better in the wet but not by much, usable in ice and snow just about too.

Reactions: Boydie, scotty76, Bristle Hound and 1 other person
Yeah I've heard the paddle-shift isn't as fast to react as the Audi's.
Yeah it's one of them wait and hope king of gearbox's.
Especially when you want to kick down. Not the most responsive in the world

The auto in them isn't that bad, 99% of the time you will either use it as a traditional auto or just pop in sport. Granted the paddle shift isn't the fastest but the engine and noise more than makes up for it.
They had to use the older auto as the newer one can't handle the torque. I had the same box in my old CLK and found it perfectly acceptable. If you're a big fan of using the
paddle shifters you will be disappointed as it's no DSG. Personally I never found it an issue to be honest as it was quick enough to respond when you plant your foot and changes smoothly enough. Oh, and it's reliable.

I have been really tempted - particularly as the normally aspirated 6.2 will be no more in favour of a twin turbo 4.0 and have always considered them to be something a bit special with such a harmonious exhaust note!! Love them.

What other 'family estate car' do you see as an F1 pace/medical car..?!!

A C63 AMG in the hands of an idiot! :banghead:

Oh dear ...

Reactions: umbrella
Suprised there weren't L plates on the Mercedes he really hasn't got any excuse for that accident. Fortunately nobody appears to have been injured.

Karl

Reactions: V6 Quatt
This is a better one ..

Reactions: V6 Quatt
The sound is immense, the cars are great...i would go for saloon over coupe as i prefer the look.

Resale of the car can be tricky as Merc heavily discounted them and put on excellent finance offers so there are a few around. Friend of mine had one and loved it, come the end of the term he handed it back to mercedes with no issue.

I had specced one and almost ordered it, Merc messed me around so i decided to cancel.

A C63 AMG in the hands of an idiot! :banghead:

Oh dear ...

It was only ever going to end in tears - that one. I feel sorry for the person in the Nissan Quashqai minding their own business trying to do the Tesco run:rolleyes:

I went to Mercedes Benz World today. They sounded immense on the track.... Do it!!

Good choice! who needs instant shifts when you have so much power haha!
The 5 speed Mercedes box is pretty much bomb proof and should be well behaved! something to bear in mind is the conrods though - google it but Mercedes should have sorted the potential issue now

the newer "500" 's are 388bhp after 2005ish so still a decent amount of poke - they're not that bad once warmed up or on a run, I did manage to get 30mpg on the motorway in a CL taking it steady (depends what not bad means to you though)

Test drove one when looking for my current car. Estate version, as well as a 335i touring (wanted an estate.....kids and all their *****).

Of the 3 the S4 avant was a no brainer. On the road in normal day to day driving there was very little difference in terms of performance. The merc had a nice cabin and sounded epic but wouldnt want to live with it full time, or fuel and tax it. The 335i felt tacky inside and didn't look as good outside but drove better.

Audi S4 was the one I wanted to sit in and live with every day. Quattro, decent enough running costs and good classy looks won the day.....but my choice was based on a family wagon that blitz's most stuff on the road and I could feel the kids were safe in when it's icey, or raining, or there are leaves on the road, or the wind changes direction :)

Reactions: ERBY
Suprised there weren't L plates on the Mercedes he really hasn't got any excuse for that accident. Fortunately nobody appears to have been injured.

Karl

There's only one word required ......QUATTRO

Audi S4 was the one I wanted to sit in and live with every day. Quattro, decent enough running costs and good classy looks won the day.....but my choice was based on a family wagon that blitz's most stuff on the road and I could feel the kids were safe in when it's icey, or raining, or there are leaves on the road, or the wind changes direction :)

...My sentiments exactly!
Although I felt the cabin in my old c class was a bit dull & plasticky.
I am unsure of opinion outside of my 'territory' but the dealership & customer service in my neck of the woods was appalling - another reason for me to turn my back on the marque.

Now also considering a Jag XFR - C63 was a amazing, relentless acceleration and great noise, but also need to keep my options open to other stuff as well.

Also considered the Jag but couldn't find one that I wanted in my price range at the time, so never test drove one.....

.....Once you start looking there are only so many cars that fit into this bracket and I'd bet most of us looking considered them all :)

The new Jag XE V6 is looking good at he moment

Sat in the new XE last weekend and yes it truly is a beautiful car. Sales guy said the base price (no options) works out at 45K :eek:

I think the estate version (sport brake?) just looks a bit weird & wrong for a Jag (IMHO) :ambivalence:

It's been a while but I thought I'd get back.

Well, After many a test drive I decided to go for the Jaguar XF- R. All the cars I drove were the latest models and less than 15 months new. The Jag was the second car I tried and I knew then that anything after was going to have to be ****** good.

The other cars I tried - Merc C63 AMG ; Audi RS4 (A friend of a friend's car) ; BMW M5 - not really that many cars, but the only cars that I personally had an interest in owning - RS5, no four door version ; RS6 just far too expensive for the later models and not worth it imo.

They are all great cars with massive performance, especially the M5, but I dunno, I've had bmw's before, and I just don't like the look of the new beemers. The RS4, well, it just reminded me too much of the S4, which by-the-way is no bad thing, and anyone wanting to keep it 'Audi' will no doubt be well pleased with it, and yes, once it got going it definitely felt quite a bit quicker than the S4, although I didn't rag it because as I mentioned it was a friend's car . Getting back to the Jag, well, it's just different gravy, and It was really the only car which I tried, that made me feel I was driving something a bit special for so many reasons which the other cars just didn't do for me personally, Oh, and nearly forgot the 510 bhp supercharged V8 under the hood, though If I were to be honest it's just too much power for our roads - good for a track day though! :cool:

I thoroughly enjoyed my Audi S4 ownership, it did everything I asked of it and I was, in some ways sad to see it go - It's a great car, make no mistake, afterall even Chris (monkey) Harris, once said that he thought It was one of the best cars in the Audi stable - and that's praise indeed! :icon thumright:

All the best you guys and thanks for any help in the past.

Here's a piccy of the Jag. :cool:

2560159 18631516

Last edited:
Reactions: Bristle Hound, RS5 JON, skiptowncat and 1 other person
Lovely motor, was looking at jags myself before the s4 but just couldn't stretch the finances to afford one.

I was going to buy a c63 then I googled it, they have massive issues. I spoke to a MB tech I know, he said it was the worst motor MB had ever built and the shortest run. They had so many problems with the 6.3 they went back to the 55 and turbos and called it the 63

That is lovely, you just had me looking!! I cant justify the fuel or road tax to go with it though!
Was pondering on an CLA 45 AMG but not sure of the back end, I think I'll end up sticking with the S4 idea when the B9 is released.

Lovely motor anyway!

I was going to buy a c63 then I googled it, they have massive issues. I spoke to a MB tech I know, he said it was the worst motor MB had ever built and the shortest run. They had so many problems with the 6.3 they went back to the 55 and turbos and called it the 63

I loved my C63 wich actually runs a 6.2 ltr motor, the have gone back to a smaller motor with turbos and kept the name because its become a brand/model in its own right (like RS4 irrelevent of engine size). I had mine for 9 mths from new, I worked for MB and I loved it, I went through two sets of rear tyres though. Mine was a company rental scheme car but I'd buy another.