Mani probs

S3Zek

Reaction score
Started to fit my v3 last night, grounded the tops down, adjusted the heat shield, shortened 2&7 bolted it up then set about the turbo.......... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362042577901379ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362042593229868ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362042604314692ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362042618289394
For f**k sake......
Even if I bolt the exhaust to the turbo first there's no way that bolt is fitting in there....
It looks like the end of the collector isn't facing down enough for the turbo to clear, trying to get hold of Sam at the min to see if he can help me out to get it changed.

Why can't everything be straight forward lol

Was going to ask if anyone else had this prob. How did he get over it? Just heat and bend?

It's so close Dave that even washers won't go past it, I think you are right with heating and bending or i could prob have a small spacer made for between the turbo and mani? Will see if I can change it first as I would prefer it just to fit right but who's to say the next one will be any better, (fingers crossed)

Do these manifolds ever fit on fine? or not need re-welding? Seems a lot of hassle to me..

Exactly the same as mine. I had to use a bolt with a female hex head then use an angle grinder with a sanding disc to remove as much meat from the bolt head till it cleared. The thing then needs an allan key with a bar on the end to be able to get it fairly tight. I caked mine in loctite.

38dbd072.jpg

Last edited:
This is part of the reason why I can't justify replacing mine yet. I hope reliability increases in the future when funds allow for me to maybe go further.

This is part of the reason why I can't justify replacing mine yet. I hope reliability increases in the future when funds allow for me to maybe go further.

I was under the impression that this particular fitment issue was resolved on the V3. Only real issues I'd heard of were with the flange face not being flat!

If you can mod a bolt like mine it works fine. Also on my mani I was unable to fit the turbo support bracket as it wouldn't line up. Without this bracket the mani will end up cracking pretty quickly, which mine has now done. When the mani is totally shagged I was planning on fitting a new version that had none of these teething issues but that doesn't appear to be the case yet :(

If I use the copper gasket plus two standard gaskets (1 either side) and I may be able to get away with doing what you've done westy.....but then my support bracket my prob be too far off too. I will mock it up and try again but I've herd that it was the first six that were like this and needed the big gasket then it was rectified? Who knows, but I will prob still try another.

Last edited:
dont use that copper gasket! theyre aids

Lol ok I will just see if it would give enough space. I don't even know if mine came with one anyway as I wasn't going to use what ever came with it.

I had to botch mine the way I did as I was trying to do a full engine out rebuild in 3 days and didnt have the time to take it somewhere to be altered. I don't like knowing its like that but it appears to be holding strong so I'd now suggest you do the same instead of using a stud and nut.

Started to fit my v3 last night, grounded the tops down, adjusted the heat shield, shortened 2&7 bolted it up then set about the turbo..........View attachment 11916View attachment 11917View attachment 11918View attachment 11919
For f**k sake......
Even if I bolt the exhaust to the turbo first there's no way that bolt is fitting in there....
It looks like the end of the collector isn't facing down enough for the turbo to clear, trying to get hold of Sam at the min to see if he can help me out to get it changed.

how long have you had this v3?

A while now bill so prob was one of the first, I got it a bit after talking to you about BT the first time, then changed my mind again but had already got a load of stuff so i thought i would sell it but i was a bit short for all the head gear and inpatient so just went ahead with the hybrid stuff so prob summer last year some time?

The Badge is on the underside tho

the first few were made like this (aka wrong) and were supplied I thought with thick copper gaskets to space the turbo down..
did you get one of those?

Yes bill I did, dug it out last night, going to offer it up today and see, I still don't think the nut will miss completely so I may have to find a hex bolt, what tensile should it be?

Yes bill I did, dug it out last night, going to offer it up today and see, I still don't think the nut will miss completely so I may have to find a hex bolt, what tensile should it be?

I wouldn't be happy with multiply gaskets next to each other but I would prefer the stud and nut arrangement over a bolt. Though, saying that, the original K04 setup uses bolts instead of studs anyway and using just 1 bolt at the top or the DP flange seems to have held up ok on mine.

As you have the time it may also be in you interest to try and modify the turbo support bracket or make a custom one to offer some support.

I'm going to get it changed, I want it to be right, it sits the turbo to low for my liking,
the support bracket is to far out at this point and I'm not in a rush and I want to send the turbo back to cr for them to check anyway......sod it, it can all gather dust for now...:p

Reactions: Westy