Maf Signal Too Low

Pasteurised

Reaction score
Hey guys 2002 Bam S3.
Was accelerating hard onto the motorway in 3rd, the car sputtered at about 5500 rpm, then the traction light came on.
Scanned for codes and MAF Signal Too Low was the only one. Unplugged it and plugged it back in but code keeps coming back, Going to buy a new maf tomorrow.
What could cause this?

is this something in your mapping development? have you been playing with pops and bangs? I know someone on here trashed his MAF with this.

MAF is a service item... I went through 3 in 18 months, all genuine... last ones has been in for 4 years...

<tuffty/>

Aftermarket open air filters seem to eat maf sensors at quite an alarming rate, that's been my experience, covered 23k in my s3 and on third maf, I've always bought them from ecp, so weather that has something to do with repeated failure I dunno, coil packs aswell, I'm on my third set of them! Ridiculous

Yea, think im gonna ditch the Ramair filter and stick the stock airbox with pipercross back in.

anyone know if there is a difference between MAF's with part numbers 06A906461E and 06A906461M?

Foam filters tend to be worse as they generally need to be more oily to work... not had issues with jetex filters... and I have a rather large one... (filter that is)

<tuffty/>

Aftermarket open air filters seem to eat maf sensors at quite an alarming rate, that's been my experience, covered 23k in my s3 and on third maf, I've always bought them from ecp, so weather that has something to do with repeated failure I dunno, coil packs aswell, I'm on my third set of them! Ridiculous
ecp is your problem

gsf/dealer should get you a more reliable thing

Going to try a standard Bosch paper filter and if it still makes power I'll be happy.
I noticed when looking at the maf and plug that the plug only has 4 connectors but the maf has 5.
20171004_133643.jpg

20171004_133636.jpg

So i put the stock airbox back in, with a brand new Bosch maf and Paper filter, car wont make over 180 g/s lol.
Going to stick the Pipercross in and see if its the paper filter restricting it.

Reactions: SamHendry
Gained 10 g/s by running without a filter, but still miles away from what it should be.
Thing is, its making and holding the correct boost, and feels quick, but the airflow and load readings dont reflect this.

Last edited:
If you can't make over 180g/s on a stock airbox and new Mann filter you have underlying issues, pure and simple.

Reactions: Pasteurised
put back on a standard(ish) map or swap over to your spare ECU just in case something has happened in that area - I assume you are still fiddling?

Reactions: Pasteurised
Got it fixed! On a completely unrelated note, the hole in the TIP where the hockey puck goes can flow 60g/s hahaha

Thought id share my findings. going from the Ramair Filter to Stock airbox and paper filter only cost me around 8-10 g/s
Still flows around 240 g/s at 1.5bar.
And it feels much nicer to drive at low rpm, but thats probably in my head lol.

Thought id share my findings. going from the Ramair Filter to Stock airbox and paper filter only cost me around 8-10 g/s
Still flows around 240 g/s at 1.5bar.
And it feels much nicer to drive at low rpm, but thats probably in my head lol.

Nice result that. What spec is your car mate?

GT2871R
Ported Ebay Manifold
3inch downpipe + decat mated to stock exhaust
550cc Injectors
DW65v Fuel pump

Engine is stock, so ive capped torque at 260lbft, and it should be making around 300bhp.

GT2871R
Ported Ebay Manifold
3inch downpipe + decat mated to stock exhaust
550cc Injectors
DW65v Fuel pump

Engine is stock, so ive capped torque at 260lbft, and it should be making around 300bhp.

Nice! Tidy set up mate. Hope your enjoying your car. I'm sure you are ha.

Did I read in another you mention going big turbo rather than hybrid being more cost effective for your circumstance. Interesting if true and sorry I sound nosey but I wana know how? :)

Thanks! I'm happy with it as is, and if I ever get the itch for more power I have the hardware, just need rods.

I already had the turbo, took it off my old car before selling.
So it was just the mani, injectors, fuel pump I needed.
I reused the k04 TIP and dowpipe, just modified them to fit.

Reactions: SamHendry