Lowering and snow

flying oyster

flying oyster
Reaction score
hi guys how are you coping with your lowered cars and snow has it been a nightmare
i have to use my car everyday to get to work and have to negotiate a dirt track speed bumps
and the usual rubbish condition of our b roads but i so want to improve the handling of my car
and lower it as well so what are you minus points for having your car lowered

I think you've already worked out the pros and cons.

Most of the aftermarket suspension systems do lower the car a bit(in my case with the KWv3,it's lowered by 2cms),and whilst it's not much,it is closer to the ground.

It scrapes it's way over anything but light snow,but so far...no problems.

It depends really how deep the snow is...lol
I have STD s-line suspension and i keep getting stuck but i find the car rides up on the floor pan on the snow and when i dig it out the wheels are barely on the ground so quatro is a bit of a waste of time.. The problem i would think will be the front spoiler for lowered cars. My problem is the 8P1 has a much more streemlined front than the snow plough type single grill :yes: so my car rides up on the snow lifting the front and at any speed, the whole car. the single grill i would imagine will pile the snow up in front.

Last edited:
My problem is getting out the drive, the snow freezes between the tread making the tyres seem like slicks!!!

so a snow covered speed bump is your worst nightmare paddy lol well i guess i will have to bite the bullet as i want to stop that roll on corners and turn the stereo up when i go down that dirt track lol

My car hasn't been driven at all in the snow, and it won't be until its gone. But Mike who has got a A3 S-Line lowered 65mm on 18" BBS, said it is a NIGHTMARE where he lives!

so a snow covered speed bump is your worst nightmare paddy lol well i guess i will have to bite the bullet as i want to stop that roll on corners and turn the stereo up when i go down that dirt track lol

Sorry you lost me there ?? Who said anything about speed bumps or nightmares ? stereo's or dirt tracks ?
You asked a question so i gave you my opinion.. My car is not lowered and its getting grounded on the floorpan in the snow.

Sorry you lost me there ?? Who said anything about speed bumps or nightmares ? stereo's or dirt tracks ?
You asked a question so i gave you my opinion.. My car is not lowered and its getting grounded on the floorpan in the snow.

Flying Oyster did in the first post in this thread.

He has to go over speed bumps, and if you're getting grounded on std suspension in snow, a speed bump with snow is higher, so you could consider it to be a nightmare. He also has to go down a dirt track. If he lowers the car, he'll turn the stereo up to drown out the sound of scraping.

I'm surprised you needed that explaining.

Oh i get it !! Sorry but i do need some things explaining. Its Saturday so my brain doesn't get up till at least mid day :yes:
I'm so used to people having a go here I'm always on the defencive these days:uhm:
Loads of apologies all round....maybe i better shut up:yes:

Last edited:
here in milton keynes we have about 4half inches mines been droped 85b at the front and 75 at the rer so im bassicaly plowing my own way through lol but not a problem for me the only thing you have to watch out for is the build up of ice in the middle of the road in your lane as the underside of the car scrapes like mad on it...

needing some advice members , would u say that the audi A3 1.6SE is good in the snow or i'm i correct in saying that most audi A3 models r bad in snow any advice would be helpfull cheers

my car aint lowered yet, coilovers are gettin ordered end of this month, how ever my car doesnt move in this weather full stop haha, so hasnt moved in 4weeks now and wont be going any were any time soon, was thinking of gettin snow chains but didnt want them to scrach the alloys

this is my car after 4weeks,
DSC_0003-1.jpg

I wouldn't worry too much about lowering and snow.

After all the councils and airports seem to think that it doesn't snow enough in britain to buy enough salt/Gritters/ploughs.

Not good at all, i have used it once and its like a snow plough,although i do live near buxton derbyshire and we have had
loads of snow,which is ok till it freezes

Lowered 25mm on Stock wheels and no obvious problems specific to the car being a bit lower.

Quattro has been excellent, not fool proof of course (being on std road tyres), but managed to potter around the sidestreets drama free while lots of other cars where abandoned.

Paul

well im gonna have admit defeat and stick with the standard set up or is it time to buy a landrover nah sill loving the car so i will just have to put up with the roll in the corners or slow down lol