Charlie Farley's 350BHP & beyond 2.0tfsi BUL Engine and K03/4 upgrade project, maybe just 300bhp now.

They guy who built my turbo advised me to go to devil developments as they do all the R&D on his turbos. Will prob end up going there.

Better get saving me pennies I guess

They guy who built my turbo advised me to go to devil developments as they do all the R&D on his turbos. Will prob end up going there.

Better get saving me pennies I guess
Yeah makes sense then mate definitely a reputable company so thats half the battle done other half is like you said saving the money.

I like the challenge of tinkering with engines , well anything mechanical really which is why i'll tackle most things.
My old dad used to work for rediffusion when i was a small lad , used to bring home old tv set's and bits for me to take apart and repair, well not so much repair.lol
Probably when it all started.

I appreciate not everyone has the time or desire to tinker with their cars and opt for a garage etc to do it, that's just the way it is and if it works for them then great.

I'm the opposite and prefer to do as much as possible on most fronts, it's made me very skeptical about many things in life including garages etc for one.
still enough of that, onwards with the build.:icon thumright:

I’m the same Rob. I’m no mechanic but I’ll have a go at most things.

If I had a garage I’d have had a go at fitting my turbo but as all the work on my car is done on my drive it’s not ideal.

Will have a read of that thread when I get back from work

Well the goalpost's have moved again this afternoon , plans A & B have now flown out the window, so now on Plan C .:icon thumright:

It would appear I will be well down on ponies based on my original K03 hybrid plan .
Going with a revised setup on the turbo using a more custom build now with a different core , will be the only way to get to the 400 ish I was hoping for.

It would appear I will be well down on ponies based on my original K03 hybrid plan .
Going with a revised setup on the turbo using a more custom build now with a different core , will be the only way to get to the 400 ish I was hoping for.
Yeah I've heard hybrids not really going much past 350 on a good day think you need more of a hybrid ko4 really

Reactions: Charlie Farley
I'll still be going the hybrid route Ricky just not the original plan with a K04 core in the K03 housing.
A little bit disappointed really as I was hoping plan A would be ok based loosely around a previous discussion I had a with a company last year , but hey maybe I misunderstood something , it's allways possible but i'm not put off.

Had a very informative chat with a company this afternoon that pretty well clarified what the format is and what to expect from a given hybrid .
320 was probably where the parts I have for a K03/4 would have ended up, which don't get me wrong is way better than 220 standard or my current 270 , but its not what I was expecting.
I'm going to ship all my turbo bits minus the new K04 core down to them and they are going to rebuild me a custom hybrid based around using parts I have plus a custom core .
They will be looking supplying me a rebuilt unit rated at 380 min and 400 very doable.

So that's where i'm at today, a setback yes , but worth finding out now and makes doing the other engine mods just more important and worth while.

I'll still be going the hybrid route Ricky just not the original plan with a K04 core in the K03 housing.
A little bit disappointed really as I was hoping plan A would be ok based loosely around a previous discussion I had a with a company last year , but hey maybe I misunderstood something , it's allways possible but i'm not put off.

Had a very informative chat with a company this afternoon that pretty well clarified what the format is and what to expect from a given hybrid .
320 was probably where the parts I have for a K03/4 would have ended up, which don't get me wrong is way better than 220 standard or my current 270 , but its not what I was expecting.
I'm going to ship all my turbo bits minus the new K04 core down to them and they are going to rebuild me a custom hybrid based around using parts I have plus a custom core .
They will be looking supplying me a rebuilt unit rated at 380 min and 400 very doable.

So that's where i'm at today, a setback yes , but worth finding out now and makes doing the other engine mods just more important and worth while.
Yeah better finding out at early stages while the plans are still developing, even though they say the turbo is rated at 380-400hp I'm assuming thats if you max out that turbo there building? Does that mean you have to get the supporting mods to be able to max it or have they said your current set up is capable?

What was wrong with your original plan mate? Why would the KO4 core not work right in the KO3 housing?

Yeah better finding out at early stages while the plans are still developing, even though they say the turbo is rated at 380-400hp I'm assuming thats if you max out that turbo there building? Does that mean you have to get the supporting mods to be able to max it or have they said your current set up is capable?

The engine build i'm going with will cover 400+ easy so no issues there, the turbo will be good for 400 with ease they say based on the engine build i'm doing.
onwards yet again.:icon thumright:

Reactions: Ricky Burrows
What was wrong with your original plan mate? Why would the KO4 core not work right in the KO3 housing?

Nothing wrong with the parts I acquired for the K03 hybrid , they just won't get me much more than 320 from what the turbo company says, i'd hoped on nearer 400 based on previous advise, maybe they thought I was doing a K04 , anyway i'm more than happy with the parts I picked up , I just need something with that extra bit .

I may just use the K04 core in another project, it wont be wasted.

I suspect I may have set the bar too high to start with :shrug:, but hey no going back now, i'm on a mission.:yes:

Reactions: THQuattro
making some progress but slight backwards direction today, will get things sorted in the next few day re the turbo situation.

I suspect I may have set the bar too high to start with :shrug:, but hey no going back now, i'm on a mission.:yes:
You thought about getting the tte420 to fit Rob? Not looked into prices but seems to be what the guys running ko4’s upgrade to so should see what you want power wise easily enough.

I did look at it but have decided to go with the option I've been given this afternoon, i'll get a custom setup ready to fit and use and still look stock, also rated around the figure I wanted.
They can use many of the parts I have already purchased so the overall turbo cost will be acceptable, rather than buying another complete assembly for a lot more which would be less than ideal.

More Bad news today which is not good and I've had to put a full stop on everything now.:sadlike:

What's up Rob? Complications with the car or personal? I'm just contacting a couple of companies this week with regards to moving forward.

I was kind of lucky that the first piece of the puzzle and the thing that kicked my 'project' off was acquiring the Turbo.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Not a happy bunny at all, waiting on another phone call before I loose my cool.

Not sounding good. If it’s turbo problems speak to Clive at Beach Buggy Turbos. He’s the guy who built mine. Nice chap

Just had a rather heated chat with the company handling shipping over my BUL donor engine and i'm fuming to say the least.

brief summary of whats happened.
Emailed the company yesterday for an ETA on the delivery as it was due tomorrow, didn't get a reply until this morning.
They advised that my consignment had been damaged in transit on Tuesday and will no longer be delivered, no reason why , nothing.
So straight onto them this morning for an explanation , they stated the lorry with my consignment had been involved in a serious accident and the contents of the lorry had all been severly damaged and will no longer be delivered.
And that's where i'm at ...arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
I'm waiting on a call back to get a better explantion and what is going on , looks like my donor engine is a bin job , what a right messup.

Not sure what the next step is now to be honest , do I claim against them for the loss or what.

No, via a friend in Belgium , the engine was a private purchase from a guy in germany...what a mess or what.:wtf:
I doubt I will find another now ,well not as good , need to have a think now on the best way forward or not .

Used BUL engine's which are worth having are just so hard to find.

Sorry to hear this Rob. That's really bad luck. The courier should have some form of insurance though. It's just working out the grim details to try and get anywhere.

I think I'm going for the rip my car apart approach. I hardly use it anyway :-(

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

That’s a tough situation mate. Did you purchase any sort of insurance with the shipping company?

That’s a tough situation mate. Did you purchase any sort of insurance with the shipping company?
Not as such but I was under the impression it was covered to its value that I paid for it, I need to get an update really.

So sorry to hear that Rob, that’s a real kick in the teeth.

I hope you can get some kind of insurance deal.

I appreciate accident's happen , but it just seems to be one after another this week.
The Carbon rear valance I bought from ecs in the states has gone walkabout somewhere , another case of parcel tracking that doesn't work, I mean how can you loose something that is in a box 5ft long and 2ft square, the mind boggles...

Last edited:
Just waiting for some muppet in one of the forwarding depots to say , oh sorry sir it fell down behind the skirting board...

Just waiting for some muppet in one of the forwarding depots to say , oh sorry sir it fell down behind the skirting board...
It was awkward when I asked Tuffnels how they lost a milltek exhaust for mine. Amazing isnt it.

Sent from my SM-T595 using Tapatalk