Jardo's 'Journey to quattro' - My Story...

Yeaaaaaaaahhhh!!!

Allll da booosts.

10668984_1537384126476763_297715079132488925_o.jpg

I think this was the lap that I did whilst I was on the phone to my mum on Bluetooth...

Reactions: Adam P, desertstorm and daz-20vt
Yey.

10534700_1538158446399331_3420499284492309701_n.jpg

Hopefully this will be a big step for me, some proper tires.

The sprint day at Curborough really showed my car is struggling for front end grip, even with Eagle F1's.

I am very reluctant to remove my S4 wheels because they are a bit of a trade mark that I am known for having, and they just look so right.
So they are going in for a refurb hopefully next weekend whilst I am away in Edinbrough, and to have the NS2-R's fitted at the same time.

Then come pay-day on the 25th I am going to wiz it down for a four wheel alignment.

I am hoping this will all make a pretty big difference.

Oh, and some 15mm spacers but only for looks.

yes!!! great news
be very interested in how you find these mr yardo!!
still not found a negative view about these apart from the occasional "nankangs = ditch finders"
from people who never used them!!
hope they work well,
i reckon these will help you get that 28.xx

he isnt far mate!!!
i have faith!!!!
ill do a 28 to bit not sure if my car is tuned enough at the mo?:(

As your confidence grows and you get more in tune with the car it will all come together.

Just looking at Curborough you can see improvements on all fronts from everyone.

At the start of the day I was absolutely terrified by the back becoming light and loose on the braking for the second corner at the middle of the B, by the end of the day I was much happier using the weight of the car to turn me into the corner and round the other way.

It's all practice and slowly upping your limits and driving ability.

Yeaaaaaaaahhhh!!!

Allll da booosts.

10668984_1537384126476763_297715079132488925_o.jpg

I think this was the lap that I did whilst I was on the phone to my mum on Bluetooth...

Its pics like this that make me love Ming Blue!

Reactions: 16Klappe and Essflee
Have you already bought those tyres ??
http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/nankang/ns-2r/225-40-r18-92y-247452

These are the medium compound so not sure if they are the same as the 180 linked to above.
I believe the Federal 595 RSR might be a better tyre than the Nankang from the reviews I have read. I know Nick has used the 595's

http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/federal/595-rs-r/225-40-r18-88w-120780

Karl.

This is an incredibly sore point.

My friend George purchased a set last month for £320 delivered from tire-leader.

So I set aside £320 from last months wages to buy some. But when I logged in they were well over £440.

I watched the site all month and they fluctuated in price a little bit, going up and down by £4/5 every couple of days.

**** this I thought, I've missed the boat and now they are more popular the price has gone up.

This morning at 8AM I got into work, fired up the PC and checked Tire Leader. £438 a set.

So I set about finding the cheapest NS2's I could. These were on eBay for £460 ONO, so I offered £420 which would have put them £20 cheaper than the cheapest elsewhere, with free delivery. So about £40 cheaper.

Offer accepted. Paid for.

9:15 my Facebook lights up with that link.

They changed the price in the half an hour between my buying these, and posting it on Facebook.

Phoned them up, they said they didn't have them in stock anyway and prices may change with their next delivery.

Fark.

Ok, so the post I came to ASN to write haha!

The engine has reached a point now, where I think it deserves a rebuild.

It uses no oil, no water and performance is obviously good.

But I just think "I've always wanted a built 1.8t..." And I love that crisp start up that a rebuild gives.

So I'm going to look at options.

Labour isn't an issue. And within reason money isn't a massive concern. What is a concern is that I only buy things which in my mind seem worthwhile.

So.

Rifle drilled rods. Probably DM.

Do I build a stroked for the sake of a few 100 more?

Do I go high comp?

Do I do anything with the 150k old head?

So much research required :(

This week she has been a vey good girl, done the best part of 600 miles, lots of abuse and she hasn't flinched. So I threw a bucket at it and took it out for some more abuse.

10668976_1538339219714587_4087119732715898488_o.jpg

10655278_1538339453047897_1990095627335902426_o.jpg

10562589_1538339503047892_315292817045399058_o.jpg

10682423_1538339579714551_5029426787674638912_o.jpg

Reactions: StaceyS3
I need to change my exhaust for Donnington. I've already been kicked off track once for noise, I don't want it happening again hours from home when I'm £200 out of pocket for the day.

Currently I don't think I will be happy with a stock back box, they're just too quiet.

So I considered a Pipeworx decat (currently I have a Relentless sports cat), then buying some 2.5" double flanged straight pipe and mating that to a stock back box.

So, decat, straight center section and a stock back box.

Does anybody have a setup like this that they could pass comment on?

Otherwise it's going to be a Miltek.

So, decat, straight center section and a stock back box.

Does anybody have a setup like this that they could pass comment on?

Otherwise it's going to be a Miltek.

That's what I'm pretty much running ATM...

Relentless 3" DP and de-cat - mated to the OEM back box.....sounds better than what I was expecting it to sound like tbh

Yeah I'll look to get one this week dude....

I've been meaning to since I had the de-ca added a few weeks ago actually, so you've given me more of a boost to get it recorded on video

Or you could just pop east along the south coast and see/hear it in the metal lol

10549256_1539699856245190_3561314909207344224_o.jpg

Fitting and balancing on Thursday.

Four wheel alignment and a proper geo set up on Thursday 25th.

I do begrudge spending £420 on tires, it's only the second time I've ever put tires on a car.

So I take a bit of comfort in knowing that I got my monies worth out of the F1's.

10710411_1540321409516368_7469203431583701821_o.jpg

These NS2R's have literally transformed the car.

Having my wheel alignment done at X Sport.

I checked the tires over before and quite thoroughly after Curby, didn't see a thing. So it's fairly recent.

About two days ago I noticed that when turning right it was making an odd ticking noise and the ESP was coming on. So I might have done it on a pot hole (can't recall going in one) or a flint or something within the last few days.

In terms of wear they were all really even and and only just below the limit, 1.5 at the lowest and 1.6 bang on across 2/3'rds on that particular tire, the rest were at about 1.8.

10688168_1540322019516307_6288543691681847924_o.jpg

They do look fantastic on the car, and the grip is very very good.
10679862_1540379052843937_7613849686902400061_o.jpg

There is lots of front end grip, and you can really get the fronts dug in and lift off oversteer if you want.

Neither Prawn or I have been brave enough to power oversteer the back end yet, it gets right on the cusp of letting go but the worry is that when it does neither of us have a clue what it will do. Hopefully with a bit more camber on the front and a bit more development in the chassis I will be able to get even more grip from the front.

I've ordered some Recaro Pole Positions (lols) and I just need to order some subframes on pay day, then harnesses to follow.

All coming together well.

Hilariously I fit a set of high contact track tires, and it rains for the first time in months!
10644443_1540361012845741_3904681547118025707_o.jpg

That migh be where it is to be fair, I went in there em other day probably thinking it's X Sport.

That would make sense, I've never seen much aligning equipment at x-sport... Although they do have some awesome cars there! See if you can catch a glimps of their time attack Monaro, the thing is mental!

Roy @ AutoAlign/AutoBahn is a top boy, always has some interesting VAGs knocking about as well!

Small world. I did X-Sports old website yonks back and they were building a 306 shell for me with a BTCC cage in. You're right, they get some awesome cars in there.

Drove this last night.

Much grips! Impressed with the tyres.

Not sure how long they're going to last though :laugh:

Reactions: jojo
This is much faster.

Rides better. Corners better, thanks to ARB's, poly bushes, and expensive suspension. pulls a LOT harder too.

Daz's has better brakes, and Daz doesn't have a silly shifter so you can actually get into the right gear though, which is nice :laugh:

Reactions: 16Klappe
This is much faster.

Rides better. Corners better, thanks to ARB's, poly bushes, and expensive suspension. pulls a LOT harder too.

Daz's has better brakes, and Daz doesn't have a silly shifter so you can actually get into the right gear though, which is nice :laugh:
And you still managed a 29 in Daz's car, so is this a 28.xx car?

This is much faster.

I know this is a very subjective question, but I have a standard s3 with 100,000 miles (I know you're an a3 man :p). In what order would you upgrade the things you mentioned above (ARB, poly bushes, suspension) with cost to improvement in mind. I'm thinking of getting poly bushes for everything but that is like $700!!!

well, it all needs to be tight and working as it should before you start throwing fancy parts on it, so if any bushes are suspect at all, they'll need replacing. so I'd proiritise bushes first to freshen everything up

Uprated ARB's without damping to match can have nasty results, and damping and spring rates will have a greater impact on improving the car, so I'd get GOOD suspension after that.

ARB's would be last on that list for me, as they're just used to tweak / alter an already decent product. Adding them to an otherwise stock car will not see good results.

The H&R Monotubes on Jardo's car really are fantastic. one of the nicest riding 'sports' setups I've come across. Just the right side of comfy for road use, yet it still feels great when you press on.

Reactions: 16Klappe
well, it all needs to be tight and working as it should before you start throwing fancy parts on it, so if any bushes are suspect at all, they'll need replacing. so I'd proiritise bushes first to freshen everything up

Uprated ARB's without damping to match can have nasty results, and damping and spring rates will have a greater impact on improving the car, so I'd get GOOD suspension after that.

ARB's would be last on that list for me, as they're just used to tweak / alter an already decent product. Adding them to an otherwise stock car will not see good results.

The H&R Monotubes on Jardo's car really are fantastic. one of the nicest riding 'sports' setups I've come across. Just the right side of comfy for road use, yet it still feels great when you press on.
Thanks for the detailed reply.

Is there a place that sells all the bushes at once? The only kit I've seen was on eBay.

Regarding suspension I was going to get the best coilovers I could for around $800 (aud). I want the height to be adjustable hence coilovers.

So bushes, coilovers, anything else?

great news you are happy with you tyres man!!!
you have any more track time booked?
or wanting to book?

I'm only replying because I want the 2000th post in here!

Hopefully J-rod will bless us with his presence at Dony :)