Instrument cluster

JohnStan725

Reaction score
Hi,

Bit of a noob question, when I see other A/S3s most of them seem to have some kind of display on the cluster, however mine is just blanket unless doors are open, doesn't tell me the temp or mpg does anyone else's? Mines a 2001 a3? Or does it need to be enabled through vag com?

What does the centre panel of your dash look like?

This
Nachher

...or this?

<tuffty/>

Hi Tuffty, It looks more like the top one, but i have attached the picture below.

Humm... not sure then as thats not a full DIS setup and not one I have ever seen tbh...

You would need the correct instrument cluster and it would need recoding for mileage etc I believe... then the sensors...

Doable but involved and dependant on your abilities etc... some software required (not VCDS) to do some of the coding too... not something I have done myself though

<tuffty/>

Ouch okay, im unsure aswell everytime i look on the internet or a video everyone else seems to have a total different cluster and i began to question why the LCD doesnt show anything. no idea why i have this one! so its not as easy as buying a new one and replacing the old one? will need a professional to set it up?

Thanks btw!

They call that a half dis, MFA cluster (very common on Mk IV golf's)

it should show you atleast these info if its working properly (pics found on vw vortex)

mfascreen_3.jpg
mfascreen_2.jpg
mfascreen_5.jpg

Why an MFA cluster dumb question proberly.

Weirdly it doesnt i this information is what i was looking for! literally only shows me when my oils low or coolant/ the doors are open then it says okay and doesnt come back with any other information.

So this is not working then?

Why an MFA cluster dumb question proberly.

Weirdly it doesnt i this information is what i was looking for! literally only shows me when my oils low or coolant/ the doors are open then it says okay and doesnt come back with any other information.

So this is not working then?

MFA stands for Multifunction Anzeige, or Multi-Function Indicator think of it as a glorified trip computer. On auto's it usually also shows the gear indicator on there

Thanks clarifing this one guys, so basically im stuck in an LCD which will only show me warnings?

I have a 98 A3, with the same cluster as yours. It shows the temperature, and another thing that can cycle through MPG (current and average), trip timer, and range. If you look at yours at an angle, and maybe shine a light on it, do you see anything? Mine was like that when I first drove the car, had it repaired before buying. There's some cluster repair places that are often recommended here, I'm sure someone will be along to share the info ;)

thats good hopeful news then! was thinking surely they wouldnt want to waste the LCD screen and show no information, ill check with a light see if i can see anything? however ive never noticed anything before.

Am i checking when the ignition is on or off?

When the ignition is on. Use the buttons on the side of the wiper stalk, to see if anything changes on the screen. Those buttons cycle through the different 'pages'.

Okay no problem will give it a try, last time i use them one either adjusts the clock time and date, and the other reset the Miles if that makes sense is there a certain order to use these? when i tried this morning. it said service in 1100 miles and i used the stalk and it just showed all the warning lights then went to okay.

Oh, I didnt mean the little sticks on the cluster, there's buttons on the end of the stalk that controls the window wipers. Those buttons control the DIS.

Oh right haha well i do believe i dont have anything on the end of the window wiper control or the indicators! so i take it its game over lol?

Sounds like it may be mate. It's probably possible to change the stalk to one with the buttons, and activate the DIS in VCDS...

Reactions: JohnStan725
i also have this dumber version in an a3. if no buttons on stalk, it no worky. just warnings/ok

if you have an MFA cluster but no buttons on the stalk (multifunction stalk) then i suspect that, your car might have had a cluster swap done before it became in your possession.

Dohcwp, I was thinking the exact same thing is there a way to check if it's original? Was bought from friend he only cover 3000miles a year in it slow probs got swap before he owned it! ******** if they have swapped it car could have so many more miles!

i think the ECU keeps record of the true mileage of the vehicle im not sure though, maybe @<tuffty/> or @Danio is a bit more knowledgeable in that department

Speaking of swapping clusters and ECUs (sorry for the thread hijack), if I replace both the ECU and the cluster, is there a way to keep the original mileage?

I have a 2001 1.6 sport and when I got the car it was blank like yours. I re coded it with vag com so it displays the outside temperature but it has no other functions except doors / boot open and warnings.
if you push the left stalk it will cycle through the warning symbols.
warnings that it will show are

petrol low
coolant low / high temp
oil pressure low
oil level low
doors / boot open
brake fluid / pads low

I believe you can swap the cluster but if its to rip people off I can imagine it's not the best thing to do!

Kevin, thankyou for the info that's pretty much all I get I have vag com can you tell me the procedure to program the temp to show up?

Erikn, from what I've read I believe you have to get some sort of software as far as I know nobody is legally allowed to change the milage.

you have the same dash clocks as i had in my a3 before i had any knowledge and danio helped fit a full size display.
milage is of course correctable in this case as you wouldnt be decieving anybody

JohnStan725 where are u from?? I might help u with it.

You just have 1/2 dis and no more info u will get unless u swap it onto full dis.

Hi danio, help would definitely be appreciated, I'm from Derbyshire? Where are you from? So I'd need to swap with a new cluster and adapt it to the original miles?

I'm from Wigan area

Yes u need new cluster with full dis. Some loom for a stalk and a stalk itself.

It would be worth also to fit oil sensor in oil sump as this would give u fault on the dash.

In some cases depend what immo cluster would it be u might need new immo transponder crypto48