Having a bit of trouble with my brakes

graham d'arcy

Reaction score
So I got cruise control retro fitted the other day.

When I was driving home I had it on and was going up a slip road off the motorway and the brake pedal would NOT press in. I had to stand on it to get it to go in then it was fine. But I was frightened the car was not going to stop.

Happened a few more times when using cruise control so I decided to just leave it and it was working grand in normal driving.

So yesterday I changed my MAF and saw my badger 5 TIP was a bit loose so foolishly spent 4 hours trying to tighten it trying to refit about 7 times (stupid jubilee clip) anyway I got it on (looser than it was originally haha) and went for a spirited drive to see if it the MAF made any difference and if the TIP would fall of.

But as I was going up the back roads and I was boosting and braking into corners. Mid boost if I had to brake the pedal got incredibly stiff again. Is this some sort of vac leak or is it possible when they guy installing the cruise control hit something near the ecu wiper motor area?

The problem was 100% not there before.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 1EBA83B9-728A-4EE6-9D25-6F8CB39518AD.jpeg
    1EBA83B9-728A-4EE6-9D25-6F8CB39518AD.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 205
Is it the same pedal feeling you get from pumping the pedal until hard with the engine off? if so then sounds like you are loosing vacuum somehow..

Check the 1 way valve by the bulkhead... could be defective... other than that check for leaks/splits along the pipework coming from the end of the inlet manifold to the servo...

<tuffty/>

Is it the same pedal feeling you get from pumping the pedal until hard with the engine off? if so then sounds like you are loosing vacuum somehow..

Check the 1 way valve by the bulkhead... could be defective... other than that check for leaks/splits along the pipework coming from the end of the inlet manifold to the servo...

<tuffty/>

Excuse my ignorance here but Is it possible this would have any bearing on how the car is boosting? Boost hasn’t been great either it’s not holding it. Could be completely unrelated.

But yes the pedal feels exactly the same pedal as pumping when engine off.

My s3 had a weird plastic ribbed push fit connector, I suppose to deal with movement. The TT had an arrangement of hoses and connectors instead. But mine ran terribly when it was leaking, even to the point of cutting out.

Thats the wire for the lambda probe... follow the pipe that comes out the side of the inlet manifold to the servo...

<tuffty/>

I had a similar issue and crushed the servo vacuum pipe when bolting the metal charge pipe down ?
My brake pedal was solid and had no servo assist

Thats the wire for the lambda probe... follow the pipe that comes out the side of the inlet manifold to the servo...

<tuffty/>

So I followed what I assumed was it. Because I’m a car ******.

Followed it to the back. And found this pipe, split. Not connected. Just knocking around and pulled it out.

Was at the back of the engine when I followed the pipe down to the bulkhead nearly. If you see the other pic with the one with the metal protection around it.

Dare I say... I found the problem....?

Attachments

• 867A1765-96FC-43E6-98FE-CE315F75E777.jpeg
    867A1765-96FC-43E6-98FE-CE315F75E777.jpeg
    657.3 KB · Views: 188
  • DA1D6821-4811-4DBD-A57E-213E750BED0A.jpeg
    DA1D6821-4811-4DBD-A57E-213E750BED0A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 174
Thanks for sharing, my pedal doesn't seem right so will be checking those hoses over the weekend :thumbs up: