Good day today, but not for my bank balance :)

leshkin

Hold my beer...
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Had a very productive day today - got up at 5am this morning with a view to do a lot of driving up to Manchester from W. London. The plan was to drive to BCS to get a powervalve system fitted, then popped in to see Rick at Unicorn, who is 35 minute drive away, to make some tweaks to the map he sent to me earlier to account for the new exhaust as well as do some general air/fuelling health checks. Before all that though, ended up taking advantage of the deals from LVS Racing and bought a REVO CAI as soon as I woke up :wacko:

To say that I'm extremely pleased with the new exhaust system would be a monumental understatement - it's freaking awesome!! The guys at BCS all clearly take great pride in the product. I'm not an expert in exhausts, but this thing looks like it will outlast the car many times over - very high quality product with much attention to detail. Best of all though - it sounds amazing! When people say that powervalve is like the best of both worlds in terms of quietness and raw noise, they are not joking. I spent most of the way home messing about with it and loved every minute of the journey :)

It has two modes:
If you are gentle with the throttle, it is very quiet with a slight, but pleasant raspiness to it, with the low frequency sound slightly subdued. You can happily potter about town or on the motorway without drawing any attention to yourself. I can't say that in this 'mode' it's quieter than the standard system in terms of volume, but it is much more pleasant while cruising on the motorway or gentle driving. In-fact, you can't even hear it on the motorway due to the frequency the sound, which 'melts' into general road noise! It's an odd feeling - the thing feels more silent than my previous sline A4 or the S3's OEM system on the motorway. This might have been an issue with my OEM system, but I found it to drone a bit and after a while did get a little intrusive. My wife even commented on how annoying it was to have to listen to it all of the time on a long journey. Anyway, this is the "stealth" powervalve mode :)

The other side of powervalve reminds me of my old, slightly tuned Suzuki GSX-R 600 with a stubby 2" straight-through exhaust can - freaking loud and screaming! As soon as you are less gentle on the throttle and on boost, the backbox is bypassed using a 3" valve and your car turns into mental rally car. As soon as this happens, people will turn to look, children will start to cry, leaves fall from trees and risk of avalanches is greatly increased in distant mountain areas... well... maybe not, but the sound volume greatly increases, gets deeper, much raspier and the whole car becomes a very different animal. With the s-tronic box you also get much more pronounced, nice little pops on gear changes. It's addictive!

It takes getting used to, as the 'mode' you're in is directly controlled by the fast pedal. Mash it to the floor/change down a gear or two and prepare to wake the dead. Feather the throttle gently and progressively and no-one, but you, will know that your exhaust has been messed with.

I will admit that the choice of system was made mainly to address the sound of the car, with power gains in second place. Build quality is also an important factor I can't comment on the power gains for now, as I'm yet to fit a few additional bits and map to get to Stage 2+ power, plus I never had a chance to do a before and after dyno run. I guess we'll see at the next RR day ;) All I can say is - the car feels like it has much more grunt low down and in mid-range as overtaking is much more effortless now... and fun!

@BCS Nige took his cameras and mic to my car and made some photos/videos of some drive-by runs after the system was fitted, so I'll post those up once I have them (if I'm allowed).

Finally, a huge thanks to @Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev. , who tweaked his original Stage1 map to deal with the addition of the new exhaust. I enjoyed seeing the map moding magic happen and hopefully I didn't annoy you too much with my many questions :thumbs up:

Reactions: NL316, Ash187, shadow1993 and 8 others
Had a very productive day today - got up at 5am this morning with a view to do a lot of driving up to Manchester from W. London. The plan was to drive to BCS to get a powervalve system fitted, then popped in to see Rick at Unicorn, who is 35 minute drive away, to make some tweaks to the map he sent to me earlier to account for the new exhaust as well as do some general air/fuelling health checks. Before all that though, ended up taking advantage of the deals from LVS Racing and bought a REVO CAI as soon as I woke up :wacko:

To say that I'm extremely pleased with the new exhaust system would be a monumental understatement - it's freaking awesome!! The guys at BCS all clearly take great pride in the product. I'm not an expert in exhausts, but this thing looks like it will outlast the car many times over - very high quality product with much attention to detail. Best of all though - it sounds amazing! When people say that powervalve is like the best of both worlds in terms of quietness and raw noise, they are not joking. I spent most of the way home messing about with it and loved every minute of the journey :)

It has two modes:
If you are gentle with the throttle, it is very quiet with a slight, but pleasant raspiness to it, with the low frequency sound slightly subdued. You can happily potter about town or on the motorway without drawing any attention to yourself. I can't say that in this 'mode' it's quieter than the standard system in terms of volume, but it is much more pleasant while cruising on the motorway or gentle driving. In-fact, you can't even hear it on the motorway due to the frequency the sound, which 'melts' into general road noise! It's an odd feeling - the thing feels more silent than my previous sline A4 or the S3's OEM system on the motorway. This might have been an issue with my OEM system, but I found it to drone a bit and after a while did get a little intrusive. My wife even commented on how annoying it was to have to listen to it all of the time on a long journey. Anyway, this is the "stealth" powervalve mode :)

The other side of powervalve reminds me of my old, slightly tuned Suzuki GSX-R 600 with a stubby 2" straight-through exhaust can - freaking loud and screaming! As soon as you are less gentle on the throttle and on boost, the backbox is bypassed using a 3" valve and your car turns into mental rally car. As soon as this happens, people will turn to look, children will start to cry, leaves fall from trees and risk of avalanches is greatly increased in distant mountain areas... well... maybe not, but the sound volume greatly increases, gets deeper, much raspier and the whole car becomes a very different animal. With the s-tronic box you also get much more pronounced, nice little pops on gear changes. It's addictive!

It takes getting used to, as the 'mode' you're in is directly controlled by the fast pedal. Mash it to the floor/change down a gear or two and prepare to wake the dead. Feather the throttle gently and progressively and no-one, but you, will know that your exhaust has been messed with.

I will admit that the choice of system was made mainly to address the sound of the car, with power gains in second place. Build quality is also an important factor I can't comment on the power gains for now, as I'm yet to fit a few additional bits and map to get to Stage 2+ power, plus I never had a chance to do a before and after dyno run. I guess we'll see at the next RR day ;) All I can say is - the car feels like it has much more grunt low down and in mid-range as overtaking is much more effortless now... and fun!

@BCS Nige took his cameras and mic to my car and made some photos/videos of some drive-by runs after the system was fitted, so I'll post those up once I have them (if I'm allowed).

Finally, a huge thanks to @Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev. , who tweaked his original Stage1 map to deal with the addition of the new exhaust. I enjoyed seeing the map moding magic happen and hopefully I didn't annoy you too much with my many questions :thumbs up:

Love the description!

Can't wait to receive mine, when allowing the revs to fall from high rpm's does it stay loud and then the valve closes when it's at low rpm?

I'm hoping it is this way because the sound of the revs dropping is equally as nice as them increasing.

Reactions: BCS Nige
@leshkin that was such a good write up and very descriptive, i just had to say i was disappointed that i ran out of reading material. After reading the first paragraph i knew this was going to be good. Now everything i read today will be a very poor second to this. Good that you had a productive day and that your happy. :) x

Reactions: BCS Nige and S3Alex
I'm in completely two minds about adding the catback section to my BCS downpipe. I'm never really convinced that anything below a 3 litre or V8 sounds right with a 'phat' exhaust sound. To me its says 'Ive got a small front but big ***'. On my even smaller 1.8 MGF I had a sports exhaust and it felt right, on my S2000 I would have made the change as well but on my A3 cabrio ... or for that matter any other 'family' hatchback I'm not sure it's right. I'm conscious having re-read this I'm thinking what others would think rather than what I'd enjoy ... why because if I saw a greying dude in a A3 cabrio with a phat exhaust I know I'd say 'really?' ... OP great write up.

Love the description!

Can't wait to receive mine, when allowing the revs to fall from high rpm's does it stay loud and then the valve closes when it's at low rpm?

I'm hoping it is this way because the sound of the revs dropping is equally as nice as them increasing.

So, this is directly controlled by your right foot and, in turn, boost - If you just let go, the sound cuts off very quickly, but ease off on the power and you do get a nice gradual reduction with an occasional slight overrun pop. Consider that the valve is boost actuated using the same way that you connect a boost gauge and think of how quickly you can go from no boost to full - the valve behaves in a similar way to the needle on the dial.

I just love the fact that I can leave my house early in the morning without waking anyone, but still get the benefit of unrestricted 3" airflow when I want it.

Reactions: NL316, Marshy and BCS Nige
I'm in completely two minds about adding the catback section to my BCS downpipe. I'm never really convinced that anything below a 3 litre or V8 sounds right with a 'phat' exhaust sound. To me its says 'Ive got a small front but big ***'. On my even smaller 1.8 MGF I had a sports exhaust and it felt right, on my S2000 I would have made the change as well but on my A3 cabrio ... or for that matter any other 'family' hatchback I'm not sure it's right. I'm conscious having re-read this I'm thinking what others would think rather than what I'd enjoy ... why because if I saw a greying dude in a A3 cabrio with a phat exhaust I know I'd say 'really?' ... OP great write up.
Yup, that is why I love that the exhaust is very OEM twin exit affair. The tips are staggered and follow the contour of the rear valance perfectly and do not stick out like others. Unless you had a very good eye or a ruler and had an OEM system to compare to side by side, you would not realise that mine is aftermarket.

This is because OEM tips are much larger then the pipe that connects to them and BCS system is.

Reactions: NL316 and BCS Nige
@leshkin that was such a good write up and very descriptive, i just had to say i was disappointed that i ran out of reading material. After reading the first paragraph i knew this was going to be good. Now everything i read today will be a very poor second to this. Good that you had a productive day and that your happy. :) x
Thanks @Sandra

My enthusiasm was battling with tiredness, plus I wasn't sure if I came across as a raving loon with a new toy.
I'm glad you and others annoyed it though

Reactions: BCS Nige and Sandra
I felt exactly the same when I had mine done. I did the same as you and drove up really early in the morning and was there for when they opened. I'd not had the map done by that point but had put the Revo CAI on and the combination of the 2 was superb........except it just pushed my clutch over the edge :eek:. No matter, had that sorted and then had stage 2 done up at R-Tech (itching to go 2+ now) and the overall combination is so addictive and yes, I'm a greying dude too ;)

The powervalve is just awesome and being able to control the noise with the loud pedal makes it so subtle when you want it to be that it has to be first choice for the S3. Glad you're enjoying yours too and look forward to any video you can post up.

Reactions: BCS Nige and leshkin
@BCS Nige Has made a nice video of the finished install, which should hopefully give you all some idea of why I am still grinning like a little child, every time I start the car. Thanks Nige! :)

Reactions: Jake 61, smurfworth and Mario8P
@BCS Nige Has made a nice video of the finished install, which should hopefully give you all some idea of why I am still grinning like a little child, every time I start the car. Thanks Nige! :)

Congrats on your new exhaust leshkin!
Sounds SICK!!!!

Will be looking into this at some time for sure. Gonna cost loads of $$ to have it shipped to me but it seems with it.

Trust me no one gets on Rick's nerves as much as I do. Am sure i always annoy him with all my emails/questions

Congrats on your new exhaust leshkin!
Sounds SICK!!!!

Will be looking into this at some time for sure. Gonna cost loads of $$ to have it shipped to me but it seems with it.

Trust me no one gets on Rick's nerves as much as I do. Am sure i always annoy him with all my emails/questions

It's not the cheapest system out there, but boy is it good in terms of day-to-day usability and an occasional squirt down a quiet road!

I met Rick on Friday and he's a top bloke! Definitely loves what he does and knows a thing or two about mapping cars and has one of the most pessimistic dynos I've seen :) I saw the back-end tool he uses for the Android remapping service and it was very nice. I didn't know he could actually run the whole remapping session remotely from his office if the user was clueless about it. Very cool.

Reactions: Mario8P
Boom its definitely been a sore one for the wallet but I am sure the grin factor has more than made up for it

Reactions: leshkin
Apparently mines being shipped this week!

Was pointed to this vid by nige on Facebook, sounds great, listened to one of their manual car vids too, cus I have a manual, and man do they sound good.

Apparently mines being shipped this week!

Was pointed to this vid by nige on Facebook, sounds great, listened to one of their manual car vids too, cus I have a manual, and man do they sound good.

Something tells me that you won't be disappointed :D

I must save for a mortgage, I must save for a mortgage........... But it's so so tempting! Leshkin I hate you and your enthusiastic reviews!

Reactions: leshkin and Mario8P
On my way to the NY celebrations in London, I ended up driving through a few tunnels last night and does the system sound good or what!!! I'm going to have to do that again soon - just awesome sound!

Reactions: Sandra and Jake 61

It has two modes:

Man! At @leshkin, you got me drooling over the idea of splashing out on a new exhaust soon! What a fantastic piece you’ve put together sir :hi:….. Many thanks

Reactions: leshkin
After watching your vid I thought I struck gold so I rang the guys up at BCS today hoping to spend some money but... :sorry: They don't do any exhaust for the 2L TFSI A4 :sob:.

The sound from your vid makes me want to sell the car and bag myself an S3!

Any sudgestions on exhaust suppliers who can provide a decent sound + performance but not too annoying for the A4? Thanks

After watching your vid I thought I struck gold so I rang the guys up at BCS today hoping to spend some money but... :sorry: They don't do any exhaust for the 2L TFSI A4 :sob:.

Any sudgestions on exhaust suppliers who can provide a decent sound + performance but not too annoying for the A4? Thanks

Ah that sucks... You could do worse than a S3 Sportback ;)

Don't know about other exhaust systems to be honest - try asking in the A4 section to see what the current favourite is for that model.

Reactions: NL316
It's not the cheapest system and I got it on a group-buy... Your best bet is to contact Nige at BCS directly to get the current price.
Pm me if you want I got one on my last s3 but was wondering what his current prices are

Did you ask him if they could do you a bespoke powervalve system, they do custom exhausts so may be worth an ask.

I have a BCS P/V on my S3 and It's truely a awesome piece of kit, You can see the quality and effort that has been put into it.

Sounds fantastic aswell and designed really well, Drive normally and there's virtially zero noise, Open it up and it sings out loudly :)

Reactions: NL316