Facelift FL S3 vs PFL S3 Engine Hardware Difference?

JunkStory

Reaction score
Just want to see if anyone out there know what (if any) engine hardware / mechanical difference there is between the facelift S3 and the pre-facelift S3. Other than the transmission, of course.

Did they achieve the higher power via software, or anything related to the intake, exhaust, etc? Finally, did Audi change any of the internals to handle the tiny additional power?

For example, the N54 in the BMW 1M Coupe had specific pieces forged and reinforced to handle the slight increase in power. Just curious if Audi would be attentive to detail like that.

From what I have seen the pfl was and is aftermarket tuned far beyond 310ps without engine issues, so I would presume it would have been a software related increase, maybe an extra psi of boost and map adjustment to suit

I would imagine a Software only upgrade for the FL !

The VAG EA888 2litre is seriously capable of much more tuning/punishment
In both the PFL and the FL.

So both would be equally as tuneable

I'm surprised they didn't push the FL to 340+ from the factory to close the gap on the forthcoming RS3 and also the Focus RS.

I'm surprised they didn't push the FL to 340+ from the factory to close the gap on the forthcoming RS3 and also the Focus RS.
They may save this for the mk4 S3

vAg isnt in the best spotlight at the moment for releasing more powerful engine variants.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Because it would be a lot faster than the Tts and faster than an s4,s5. Is hard work getting the power on the cars right to sit where they should be in the range.

Reactions: lledwoc and Rob2k68
Consider the S3 is quicker than the new S5/S4 to 62mph aswell...

Reactions: lledwoc and Rob2k68
I wonder how much better this new DSG-7 can handle torque that the old DSG-6?

Looking at the engine details for each model on ETKA the engine code has changed from CJXC 5/2013 - 8/2016 to CJXG 8/2016 > and it's changed from 300 to 310hp but what has actually changed I do not know.
The new DSG-7 is also used on the 2.0TFSI-190 whereas the 2.0TDI-184 still uses the DSG-6. I understand from a master tech I was talking to the other day it all down to an extra gear giving higher revs to get more power from the TFSIs rather than torque handling. Whilst each model has different overall power the torque on the S3 is 380, the TDI-184 is also 380 and the TFSI-190 is 320.

I wonder if DSG-7 will slip as "easily" as the old DSG-6 or does can it handle more torque when tuning the car? Any knowledge of this?

I wonder if DSG-7 will slip as "easily" as the old DSG-6 or does can it handle more torque when tuning the car? Any knowledge of this?

The new wet-clutch 7-speed DSG (code DQ500) is supposed to be able to handle up to 600 Nm of torque.

The new wet-clutch 7-speed DSG (code DQ500) is supposed to be able to handle up to 600 Nm of torque.

It actually is the DQ381 that is fitted in the S3. supposed to withstand 400Nm

Whilst each model has different overall power the torque on the S3 is 380, the TDI-184 is also 380 and the TFSI-190 is 320.

The S tronic S3 has 400NM

It actually is the DQ381 that is fitted in the S3. supposed to withstand 400Nm
According to the DSG article in Wikipedia the DQ 381 is listed as up to 380Nm, hence the name. Getting a bit close to the limit!

Reactions: The Challinor and Rob2k68
The facelift S3 has the DQ381 and it has 400nm. But also the new Tiguan 2.0 biTdi has the same DQ381 and it has 500nm. So I would guess it can possible handle over 500nm. Perhaps I'm wrong. :blink:

The facelift S3 has the DQ381 and it has 400nm. But also the new Tiguan 2.0 biTdi has the same DQ381 and it has 500nm. So I would guess it can possible handle over 500nm. Perhaps I'm wrong. :blink:

I would have said the Tiguan has the DQ500, like the RS3

True, it's the manual gearbox version that has 380Nm. Strange they should be different.

Not that strange. The power curves are matched to the gearboxes. Manual drivers will shift far less, and so they want/ need a broader and less peaky spread of torque through the rev range. S&Tonic drivers will invariably leave it in auto most of the time, where a lightning fast shift through 7 cogs means a narrower torque curve with a slightly higher peak is well suited to the car.

That, or the internals of the manual box are made of Dairylea and they didn't think it could cope with an extra 5% of twistiness...

Most tuners will also offer a TCU remap (Transmission Control Unit) which increases the clamping pressure on the clutch plates to handle the increase in torque. Manual cars will need an updated clutch should they go this route but there's now a few on the market to choose from.

My car is pushing around 550Nm and has a TCU map.

Yes but you might not need it if you are pushing under 500nm on DQ380. That is the question with the new DQ381 how much can it handle before starting to slip. :)