Fitting 996 Rears to S3 8L

eatdirt13

Reaction score
I have seen the brilliant ''moderately informational brake thread'' on this forum, however from what I have seen there is conflicting knowledge around fitting these brakes.

According to the thread, 996 rears are the best to use for 312mm discs, and there is an adapter you can buy to fit them. It advises against using Boxster 986 rears as despite being the same part number, they are slightly different.

I have contacted Awesome GTi and they only have the adapters for the Boxter 986 and nothing for the 996.

I should be picking a really nice set of Gloss black 996 rears up this weekend, but need to know if there is an adapter out there that will fit!!

Thanks in advance.

The brakes i'm looking at are off a Carrera 2 S

Last edited:
996 rears are best used on the rear of a 996, and absolutely NOTHING ELSE!

I would honestly urge you not to buy them. They are god awful when put on the front of anything and totally insufficient for the job.

I know this through cold hard experience and loads of money down the drain on my own car 10 years ago.

The piston sizes are far too small and they just don't work. They have less hydraulic power than the stock 312mm calipers by quite some amount, and you get a very short and wooden pedal feel.

DO NOT FIT.

You'd be far better off with 996 fronts on alfa brera 330mm discs, or 323mm 4 pot brembos from a Leon Cupra R

OK cheers for the heads up. Any adaptation needed for LCR's to fit to an S3?

Thanks

996 rears are best used on the rear of a 996, and absolutely NOTHING ELSE!

I would honestly urge you not to buy them. They are god awful when put on the front of anything and totally insufficient for the job.

I know this through cold hard experience and loads of money down the drain on my own car 10 years ago.

The piston sizes are far too small and they just don't work. They have less hydraulic power than the stock 312mm calipers by quite some amount, and you get a very short and wooden pedal feel.

DO NOT FIT.

You'd be far better off with 996 fronts on alfa brera 330mm discs, or 323mm 4 pot brembos from a Leon Cupra R

Alfa brera discs? don’t they need an inside spacer?

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

OK cheers for the heads up. Any adaptation needed for LCR's to fit to an S3?

Thanks

LCR go straight on, no adaptions needed at all. Just need discs, calipers, carriers, and lines.

Alfa brera discs? don’t they need an inside spacer?

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

Not if you buy carriers made for those calipers and the brera discs. Carriers are available on ebay for that combo for around £100