Finally getting my brakes done. Where to get disc & pads?

Westy

Reaction score
Its been a long time coming but I've finally got my car booked in for a full service with cambelt replacement and I'm going to get my brakes replaced at the same time.

I already have motul dot 4 fluid and some HEL braded lines sitting in my garage at home so I just need to buy discs and pads.

I was set on getting Ferrodo DS2500s and black diamond grooved discs but after reading the definitive brake guide in the sticky area of this forum I'm unsure on the discs!

The only reason my mind has been swayed is because apart from doing one trip a year to the ring my car is only used for road use and I'm trying to justify getting fancy grooved discs if a set of plain 312mm discs will be just as good.

I'll still get the Ferrodo pads but what can people recommend with regards to the discs?

I've heard the same as above, but the ultimate OEM replacement is Black Diamond disks on top. Worth the extra 100 or so? Hmmmm.

The brake guide suggests that the grooved discs may cause vibrations and that they will also wear your pads out quicker then plain discs! Does anyone know what size the TT discs are because I'm sure they are bogger than the S3 ones and will still be nice and cheap?

I've heard the same as above, but the ultimate OEM replacement is Black Diamond disks on top. Worth the extra 100 or so? Hmmmm.

I previously upgraded from OEM to Black Diamond Grooved/DS2500 and I would say the BD/2500 set up is deffo worth the extra cash over OEM. I didn't have any issues with them at all, no squeal / cracking or premature brake pad wear.

I previously upgraded from OEM to Black Diamond Grooved/DS2500 and I would say the BD/2500 set up is deffo worth the extra cash over OEM. I didn't have any issues with them at all, no squeal / cracking or premature brake pad wear.

Cheers Maz. You're not helping my save money though are you haha

what's the big deal about black diamond disks? £172 for what exactly? Funky grooves?

Still 312mm

Bigger brakes or not worth the cash for a brand.

Federo is tried test and proven, worth it.

Brembo is tried test and proven, worth it.

what's the big deal about black diamond disks? £172 for what exactly? Funky grooves?

Still 312mm

Bigger brakes or not worth the cash for a brand.

Federo is tried test and proven, worth it.

Brembo is tried test and proven, worth it.

These are proven as well lad, +coated to prevent degrading/rusting.

and grooved look 1000% better than a plain disc.

Performance aside, the improved looks alone are worth the spend

if you really fancy spending money on something as stupid as looks, why not get

ATE Power Disc (Front)
Part Number: 926440280
£73.96
(Priced Per Disc)

ATE%20Powerdisc.jpg

or
Pagid Brake Disc (Front)
Part Number: 104440858
£36.10
(Priced Per Disc)

and then some posh pads

if you really fancy spending money on something as stupid as looks, why not get

ATE Power Disc (Front)
Part Number: 926440280
£73.96
(Priced Per Disc)

ATE%20Powerdisc.jpg

or
Pagid Brake Disc (Front)
Part Number: 104440858
£36.10
(Priced Per Disc)

and then some posh pads

Bill @ Badger5 machines his own eliptical disks as well.

oh soz. my bad reading. im obviously the mental one :(

Total cost? I know DS2500s are about 170 aren't they? What are you running on the back?

Brembo Max fronts = £135
Ferodo DS2500s = Not 100% yet (waiting for a quot) but between £120 - £170
OEM rear discs = £40
ATE rear pads = £25
HEL Braided hoses = £60
3 litres Motul dot 4 brake fluid = Cant remember, bought it from badger5 roughly £40

Total =£450ish

This setup should last me a while as I only cover 5K miles a year and my last set of discs and pads have lasted 2 years so far and still have loads left on them (all OEM). My brake fluid has never been changed in the cars 8 years life. I just cant do another Ring trip with my current brake setup or I will be posting on here with pics of a stack!

Yeah sounds about right, costings wise. Yet another outgoing that I need to do, although fronts aren't too bad yet, rears defo need sorting. Might just buy and do next week and be done with it!

I really think that the fluid and hoses on these cars make a huge difference because most S3s are knocking on for 10 years old with original gear on them still. I think the brakes would be massively improved with just a decent set of hoses/fluid and some ATE pads and Pagid dics all round. Could probably be done for around £200 if on a budget.

if you dont mind second hand pads, you can buy my ds3000's, only done about 2000 miles. They stop like to tomorrow but when warm to squeek under light braking. Think they cost me about £170

if you dont mind second hand pads, you can buy my ds3000's, only done about 2000 miles. They stop like to tomorrow but when warm to squeek under light braking. Think they cost me about £170

Thanks for the offer matey but I want to get all new on the front and bed them in together to avoid ruining the discs.

I've just ordered the discs and pads so I can give a total for all the parts now:

Brembo Max fronts = £135
Ferodo DS2500s = £150
OEM rear discs = £40
ATE rear pads = £25
HEL Braided hoses = £60
3 500ml bottles Motul dot 4 brake fluid = Cant remember, bought it from badger5 roughly £40

Total for parts =£450

Labour for all that lot fitted because when it comes to brakes i'd rather not do it myself! = £152 all in

TOATAL = £602

Not a cheap mod getting your brakes sorted (and i'm only using standard calipers!), and to be honest i'd rather have spent £600 on sorting my tired suspension but there was no way I could do another Ring trip without upgrading my brakes!

I'll now be looking to head to the ring at some point in July :racer:

Last edited:
ouch

Westle, can you give a review of the Brembo max , when you receive them?

thatll work lovely though. 3L of brake fluid is plenty, youll have some left over too. tell them to run it through the clutch slave cylinder too, its only one extra bolt to do. for £150 id expect them to be fitting gold plated bolts!

Just ordered a set of front Brembo Max for my car, couldn't wait for Westle's review!
Will hopefully go well with my DS2500s and Motul fluid.

The pic is further up the thread mate. They look wicked in the flesh and will be well up for it. Mine will be getting 4 weeks worth of bedding in before I go to the ring at the end of July so i'll let you know what they're like on a track too.