FBMFSW

paddy

Reaction score
OK...so now i have a FB MF wheel !!
What else do i need for my 2004 s-line ?
would i be correct in saying the slip ring needs replacing and i need a MF module ? and do i need an airbag loom adaptor ?
Is a later MF wheel slip ring a std item or particular to a wheel part No. ?

TIA...

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that control module 8P0 953 549 F and slip ring 1K0 959 653 D work.

Did you get wheel of ebay?

Just to avoid confusion I have changed the thread title to 'FBMFSW' as it's know by.

I know that control module 8P0 953 549 F and slip ring 1K0 959 653 D work.

Did you get wheel of ebay?

Yes ! i got fed up with being outbid at the last moment so got this one "buy now". Brand new, £475 :thumbsup: What the hell ! its only money..lol

waiting on Boydie to reply but hopefully i have what i need.......I think!

good work paddy. How about a 'How-to' with pics when you fit it?

how to is easy

disconnect battery

there are two torque screws on the back of the wheel

the airbag will then come out

there are two clips attached to the airbag - easily removed

16mm spline i think is needed to take the wheel off the hub

job done!

is the slip ring and control module as easy to fit as that too???

Slip ring just has a torque i think to remove or it might just "slip" out once the spline is removed, I cannot remember.

The control module is a bit more difficult as there are 3 vertical clips (which you will see on the replacement) - you just have to get a flat head and poke it through and release them one by one - there is also a very small torque at the front of the control module

You also have to remove the trim under the wheel, there is a screw on the lever that lowers the steering wheel, undo that and the trip should pop off.

Hi Mat5
I was watching that as well on e-bay
Boydie says you dont need the other stuff :)
the only thing i am unsure of is the airbag conection. some people say i need a loom addition, some say not.
I asked at our local VW/Audi centre if they would fit it as i dont have vagcom and they said they didnt have vagcom either !!!!
So now i need to find some one who charges less than Guildford Audi ( £150ph ) to fit it :unsure:

I didnt need anything - the airbag plugs into the slip ring which you are replacing anyway

all i needed was the two items - slip ring and module

That went straight into my 2004 TDI A3

Not entirely that straight forward, precautions to take when changing slip ring & steering module, Boydie would you like to update interms of movement of ring & centering of wheel etc or shall I post it all again.

Also without having a go, using the search facility would bring up multiple threads/posts about how to do & the things to know as this has been discussed to death.

Paddy to fit it 100% it really would need coding if you have rns, BT module, Bose/No Bose, so why not do yourself with our help & buy vagcom genuine to do the coding, then when its done you can have vagcom for future use aswell FOC for any faults that may arise or mods you want to add later on, even on the 1st use of the wheel install mod it would pay for itself given the Guildford Audi (who suck big time, I know cause they fecked my S3 seats up & I borrowed there tools as they couldnt fix it themselves, thats **** poor huh) hourly rates of £150 per hour.

I dont think anyone would disagree vagcom is 100% seriously the best investment in your car, PM if interested cause less than 2hrs of Audi charge & you would have the kit.

Thanks.

N.

I would have a vagcom off you now but i dont have a lap top and have no other use for one !!
Just fitted my RNS..great sucsess but wish it didnt start up with an S3 logo :wacko:

Laptops can be bought on ebay for dirt cheap, seen them for £100 & vagcom will run on older ones to as long as its not windows 3.11 lol, vagcom will remove the S3 logo aswell.

Oh gawd !! I already spent £1500 on it this week ( FB wheel, rns-e, air con fault + slip ring and mod )......lol..now your trying to push me past £2k !! :yes:

I will have a look at cheap lap tops and get back to you. All the new stuff has ****** awful Vista on it.... i presume vagcom works with Vista ?

TBH as a man that likes to mod & try things out, vagcom is the best money I've ever spent on any of my VAG cars & thats 7 VAG cars & a **** load of money, lol.

Yes it works on vista, XP etc.

Pity you want a cheap laptop cause I have some for sale aswell but not massively cheap, but new & very good.

What do you mean buy not massively cheap ?
Anything with XP pro on ?

Not entirely that straight forward, precautions to take when changing slip ring & steering module, Boydie would you like to update interms of movement of ring & centering of wheel etc or shall I post it all again.

Could you post it again, I have just done a search for 'Slip ring' and couldn't find anything about precautions?

Sorry...

Theres a good write up on the following link, scroll through to the part where the steering wheel comes off:-

http://audiretrofit.quinlivan.net/

(its under the RS4 start button link)

I also posted something here which my help:-

http://audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=76618

You will allmost definately get fault codes with regards to the steering angle, steering assist and ESP errors. I can't remember the link but if you put the fault code in Ross Techs web site it will tell you what to do:-

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/Category:Fault_Codes

I think the steering wheel angle fault corrects itself after driving up the road and turning the steering wheel on full lock both ways.

You will definately need VDS to reprogram the car, best money I've spent!!