Excessive Diesel Smoke on Start-Up?

Springer*

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've noticed over the last 6 months or so that my 2003 A4 1.9TDi PD130 Quattro Sport seems to blow out an increasing amount of black smoke on start up and now the colder mornings have arrived it lingers more than ever.

The car is standard apart from a blanked off EGR valve and has now covered 136k.

The car drives fine and once warmed up pulls like a train and runs smoothly and as well as it ever has. Also, when under load it puffs out a bit of the black stuff as normal.

Could anyone give me any clues as to what might be causing the increased smoke when cold?

I'm wondering if it could be something to do with the EGR which, although blanked off, seems to be on its last legs and does gradually leak oil into bits of the engine bay. Could this be it?

Any help would be much appreciated.

J:)

Coolant temperature sensor is a common issue, check with vag-com measurig blocks to see if yours is faulty. Also check the glow plugs usually you get white smoke and rough running when they are not working but they don't last forever.

Karl.

As above, check glowplugs.

Mine used to make more smoke on a cold morning when I first got it and when I checked my glowplugs I only had one working out the four.

As above, check glowplugs.

Mine used to make more smoke on a cold morning when I first got it and when I checked my glowplugs I only had one working out the four.
I have similar problem with regards to pungent excessive white smoke, if glow plugs were shot wound t the car struggle to start or the glow plug light stay on longer ?

Mine still started on a cold morning.......just not as gracefully as when all the glowplugs work.

I have similar problem with regards to pungent excessive white smoke, if glow plugs were shot wound t the car struggle to start or the glow plug light stay on longer ?

The car would take longer to start in colder conditions yes.
Usually if you have a few glow plugs down, it will start rough using only a few cylinders - then the others will kick in a few seconds later.

Check the plugs it's not hard, they don't last forever. The car will still start when plugs have failed but not as well as it will when they are all working.

In my experiences, white smoke on startup was always duff glowplugs- or the glow relay not working.