ESP On Or Off

S3 Sly

Reaction score
Just wondered what mode people run this in. Due a sensor issue I have no option but to switch it off so have no idea what the difference having it on makes.

First thing I do, after I have started the engine, is turn the esp off. I think this will be the same for most on here. I find it sucks a lot of power from you

Off always. When its on and you forget its on, when your having some fun it can come in hard. and your like Wtf is it broken, then a sec later it sends you on ur way. It's just annoying, there's no advantage to it in my eyes, it interferes too much

Cheers it stays off then, anyway to keep it switch off all the time.

I can't say I notice a difference with it on or off, does the N249 bypass effect it?

I can't say I notice a difference with it on or off, does the N249 bypass effect it?

Well Sam_ you obviously drive your car in a way the esp does not need to cut in and save your neck.....possibly.

Off, let the haldex do the work:racer:

You said in your first post it stays off anyway??

No it comes on each time I start the engine but the car is undrivable with it on. I want to disable it fully so I don't have to keep switching it off.

I might sound like a tool but what does it exactly do to make you all hate it so much? I tried mine on and off a while back and didn't notice a difference. Does it cut power using the N249? as that might be why I didn't notice...

I have it off rain or shine, on in snow though. I forgot to turn it off the other day (few weeks ago) and drove into a corner at the usuall speed which the car was fully capable of handling but then the ESP cut the power and scared the crap out of me mid corner as the balance of the car was completely screwed. Thats why i dont like it. Also it bogs your car down when your trying to pull of the line quickly.

One thing the ESP uses is the N249 to cut the power, but there are other methods it employs to spoil your fun. So your N249 delete won't disable the ESP

yeah i have heard that, after i drove it in the snow though. TBH the traffic didnt allow me to test it. Why is that anyway Jojo?

yeah i have heard that, after i drove it in the snow though. TBH the traffic didnt allow me to test it. Why is that anyway Jojo?

The wheelspin in the snow/ice confuses the ESP, it would just be cutting power and braking individual wheels for no reason if the conditions on the road was poor. Best to drive in snow with it off, but still tiptoe around, not driving it like you are invincible.

Mine doesn't even have ESP, so off as standard! :racer:

+1 Nice to know there are others out there with the more hard core version! lol

Out of interest does your V5 have 1999 or 2000 on it?

I might sound like a tool but what does it exactly do to make you all hate it so much? I tried mine on and off a while back and didn't notice a difference. Does it cut power using the N249? as that might be why I didn't notice...

Basically when it's off, my simple understanding is that it makes everyone think they are proper racing drivers in race mode all the time.
They have an adrenelin rush to catch a car going out of control by themselves.
ruin20 - The car does not run with less power if you have it on - it simply custs the power under certain conditions.
cookstein - strange one, normally the feeling would be the other way round, but you are obviously used to driving your car at certain speeds round corners and correcting hence the car behaving differently would scare you.
superkarl - completely disagree. I would like to think the other way and have it on always :yes: and only off when you know your about to have some fun. Isn't that the whole point safety - unless you know your going to have a stupid moment ?

It happenned to be once and I was thankfull it cut in. scary - yes. done it's job - yes. accident - no.

cookstein - strange one, normally the feeling would be the other way round, but you are obviously used to driving your car at certain speeds round corners and correcting hence the car behaving differently would scare you.

With ESP off i drive it around the corner and there is no need to catch the car. I go round the corner quickly but there is no need to correct anything. If the ESP was on then you would go into the corner with some power on to keep the car "tight" and then the ESP cuts it and all of a sudden the car isn't "tight" or "balanced" if you get what i mean. .....

it makes everyone think they are proper racing drivers in race mode all the time.
They have an adrenelin rush to catch a car going out of control by themselves

...... nevermind....

Basically when it's off, my simple understanding is that it makes everyone think they are proper racing drivers in race mode all the time.
They have an adrenelin rush to catch a car going out of control by themselves.
ruin20 - The car does not run with less power if you have it on - it simply custs the power under certain conditions.
superkarl - completely disagree. I would like to think the other way and have it on always :yes: and only off when you know your about to have some fun. Isn't that the whole point safety - unless you know your going to have a stupid moment ?

It happenned to be once and I was thankfull it cut in. scary - yes. done it's job - yes. accident - no.

Really?!

I'll bite first shall I... your 'simple understanding' is inflammatory and unnecassary.

The only time I've come close to having a problem was with the esp (accidentally) on whilst enthuisastically taking a corner and I understand where cookstein is coming from.

It's a personal choice and it would appear most of us prefer it off, taking the mick is not called for dude, by all means share your opinion but don't undermine the rest of us.

I prefer mine off because I feel it makes the car more predictable.

This goal fella pretty much undermines us in every post and thinks were all dickheads. Admitedly I am, but youve no right to do that when you don't know me.

My point is, the esp comes in too early. There's plenty more grip available beyond when esp comes in. It is there for safety,and it definately does its job well. But for enthusiastic drivers like most of us are (thats why we have fast cars right?) It kills the fun, and when it catches you by surprise, you do panic a little.

To the original post - why is it you cant keep the esp on? What happens?

Its a ****** safety device, and may save your life and other lives one day, switch it off an a track but on the road keep it on. How are you going to explain to the familly of someone you kill, and the police, that you had it switched off because you wanted the Boy-Racer thrills of driving to fast round bends/corners etc.....Just my take on this.

DC

Its a ****** safety device, and may save your life and other lives one day, switch it off an a track but on the road keep it on. How are you going to explain to the familly of someone you kill, and the police, that you had it switched off because you wanted the Boy-Racer thrills of driving to fast round bends/corners etc.....Just my take on this.

DC
Oh someone with the same mind as me....I salute you sir !

1999 APY S3 here with no ESP and to be honest I have never felt the car ever needing ESP. The quattro (haldex) system is designed to provide vastly improved traction over 2 wheel drive and that's exactly what it does, I've never understood the logic of ESP on a quattro, and i really dont like the tohugh of a ESP system prematurely cutting the power when going for it in a spirited manner. Just my views.

Fair point DC. But just because we drive with it off doesnt mean we drive on the edge of grip and safety, the esp is TOO safe, id drive with it on if it cut in later when I was in trouble, which frankly wouldn't be very often. Plus as good as it is as a safety feature, it doesn't magically improve stopping distances.
You could infact think of it as a little dangerous, as im sure we all know its not good to brake on a corner, which is what the esp will do, increasing the likely hood of losing control - just another perspective

This goal fella pretty much undermines us in every post and thinks were all dickheads. Admitedly I am, but youve no right to do that when you don't know me.

My point is, the esp comes in too early. There's plenty more grip available beyond when esp comes in. It is there for safety,and it definately does its job well. But for enthusiastic drivers like most of us are (thats why we have fast cars right?) It kills the fun, and when it catches you by surprise, you do panic a little.

To the original post - why is it you cant keep the esp on? What happens?

Hi,

With it switched on it has no power when you put your down or pull out of a road end. When I put the VAGCOM on I got this:

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: Redir Fail!
Controller: 8N0 907 379 E
Component: ESP 20 CAN V004
Coding: 18448
Shop #: WSC 06435
VCID: 3E0FBDFB2979
1 Fault Found:
01542 - Yaw Rate Sensor (G202)
57-10 - Electric Circuit Failure - Intermittent

DC

I can't see any need for it, I came from a very lary lightweight 350 brake Impreza RA with dccd centre diff etc so I'm use to having no driver aids and having to tip toe on greasing roads. Even if mine did work it would be switched off.

I agree with th majority here, (I'm not a S3 owner just 1.8t) the ESP system, in my opinion is to keep people who don't know the difference between oversteer and a ham sandwich on the road. I mean we are all motoring enthusiasts on here, and most of us probably like cars, Motorsport an driving quickly so we maybe have more of an understanding of how a car reacts to control inputs more than your average Joe Bloggs, and that's why we feel it interupts our driving experience. I'm NOT saying that DC or Goal are lesser drivers than us I'm not saying that atall, if that's the way they drive and they enjoy it that is fine.

Also I read somewhere that the early TT quattro's were recalled after several 'fatal' accidents involving 'unpredictable' handling and had to have either ESP fitted or adjusted (can't remember) but this may explain why, in most of our opinions the ESP is over sensitive.

Once again I'm not saying people who drive with it on are, crap drivers or idiots it just the way they prefer it. I'm just trying to explain from my point of view why I don't like it.

Hi,

With it switched on it has no power when you put your down or pull out of a road end. When I put the VAGCOM on I got this:

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: Redir Fail!
Controller: 8N0 907 379 E
Component: ESP 20 CAN V004
Coding: 18448
Shop #: WSC 06435
VCID: 3E0FBDFB2979
1 Fault Found:
01542 - Yaw Rate Sensor (G202)
57-10 - Electric Circuit Failure - Intermittent

Hmmm. So its constantly applying it then and not letting you do anything. Sadly ive no experience with the yaw sensor, so I can't advise. I've had to replace my longitudinal acceleration sensor tho to fix my abs.
Id be looking at replacing that yaw sensor, or ask on here, someone must know what it is....

The best thing about my 1999 S3 is that i dont have to press that button and have that warning light on every time I drive :D

I have had younger Audi's and its just a pain.

if people are driving with it off all the time because it effects their driving too much you should not be on the road, you need to go on the track

Hmmm. So its constantly applying it then and not letting you do anything. Sadly ive no experience with the yaw sensor, so I can't advise. I've had to replace my longitudinal acceleration sensor tho to fix my abs.
Id be looking at replacing that yaw sensor, or ask on here, someone must know what it is....

Cheers, I'll see if anyone can come up with an answer.

I used to have it off like most of you as it got in the way all the time, but then i did the n249 delete, now it doesnt seem to get so involved so i just leave it on. It used to throw me foward now it seems to just ease off the power slightly and do a whole lot of flashing on my dash.

ok..well i'm new to the "Modern car" having owned loads of 80's and 90's hot hatch's

I'm an old fart now so have bought a TDi quattro..well!

I've been driving up the same rd nearly everyday for 5yrs in everything from a Mk2 Golf Gti track car to a 1.2 Corsa "Vegas". Its quite twisty but 60mph all day long, I was driving the Audi the other day and the ESP kicked in...caught me off guard as it does alter the "Normal" feel while cornering, I done the same yesterday and made sure I wasn't doing more than 60 like in all the other cars...same again! I turned it off and its so much better, 70mph and its still not on the edge, 80 was its safe limit, If I'd pushed it anymore I'd have had to cut the corner and use the other side of the rd etc. I've yet to try it in the wet, I guess it maybe more helpful then, but I think everyday driving in a Quattro the ESP is not needed unless your driving like a Tit!!!

This topic has been covered so many times and it always ends up in an argument the same as this thread has. Everyone has there own preferences and I know a few people who even like to leave ESP on when on the track just as another safety feature to stop them binning their car.

I personally think that the ESP was introduced due to the S3 being a fairy powerful car as standard for it's time and it was there to stop your every day driver from ending up in a bush.

Even with the ESP on there's nothing to stop you driving like a dangerous tool, so stereo typing those that turn it off as wanting boy racer thrills isn't really fair.

, but I think everyday driving in a Quattro the ESP is not needed unless your driving like a Tit!!!

True, that may be the case. But don't forget your not the only one on the road and not every situation you will find yourself in is something you wil be expecting when driving that bit faster....which we all tend to do. So if in everyday driving the esp is not needed or more to the point doesn't kick in then you might as well have it on all the time for the occasions it does need to kick in.