Engine Oil

paddy

Reaction score
Where do you guys stand re: Oil changes.??
I have stuck to the service intervals with my A3 3.2 and now at 44k miles the engine is crudded up !! I would advise anyone who likes their engine to avoid long life oil changes and Castrol long life oil.
Stick to mobil 1...when i asked why Audi dont use it they said they did and fell out with Mobil so now use Castrol. Considering Audi charge £100 a gallon for this rubbish you dont expect to find 1mm of carbonisation on the internal parts in 44k miles....

Regular 10k oil changes with cheaper oil are far preferable to any supposedly "longlife" garbage, don't care who makes it. If you'd seen the state of it after 18k miles it's frightening, especially on a turbocharged engine.
AVS servicing is just a marketing ploy and greatly reduces the life on any engine.

Long life oil changes are pants.
Id never run a car i liked for that long on the same oil. 10k should be max for any car imo.
I work for Toyota, and we still use 10k intervals. Only differance is Aygo diesel, which gets oil every 10 but filter every 20.... go figure...

Ive always used Mobil 1 fully syn every 6 months regardless of how few miles ive done