engine bay tidy up?

20vtdaz

Reaction score
hi guys, i have a valve with lots of vacuum pipes going to it on top of my rocker cover, on my old ibiza cupra this was a n249 valve with resevior that was removeable as you could bypass it , can i do the same with this valve as it looks such a mess, it doesnt look the same valve on my s3 though? thanks guys. daz

20vtdaz said:
hi guys, i have a valve with lots of vacuum pipes going to it on top of my rocker cover, on my old ibiza cupra this was a n249 valve with resevior that was removeable as you could bypass it , can i do the same with this valve as it looks such a mess, it doesnt look the same valve on my s3 though? thanks guys. daz

I guess you talking about the vacuum resevior on the top? Yes you can bypass it just the same. Removing it also allows you to remove the bracket that's on top of the coilpacks, which apparently helps them from overheating and blowing.

god_thats_quick said:
Are you taking the ****? If you're talking about what I think you are it should be under the engine cover anyway so who cares if it looks like a mess, it's there for a reason.

this is a well known mod you idiot! jabba even do it after fitting the ihi kits! so if you dont know what your talking about dont reply, very brave of you getting gobby through your pc by the way! my main point was is this the same valve, what a waster you are!!! and thanks chris for your reply

I know if too, and its very common.

However, there does seem to be mixed reviews on Vortex, a lot of people say it makes no difference...

im not after any gains i just think its such an eye sore! very untidy looking, i know loads of people have done it, its just that mine looks slightly different from the SEAT cars that ive seen done but im guessing its the same valve?

20vtdaz said:
this is a well known mod you idiot! jabba even do it after fitting the ihi kits! so if you dont know what your talking about dont reply, very brave of you getting gobby through your pc by the way! my main point was is this the same valve, what a waster you are!!! and thanks chris for your reply

Jabba leave them on with ihi on s3.

I seen it on a few SEAT's and it looks tidy afterwards to! :) I found a guide on a SEAT forum a while back! Fairly straight forward job, by the looks of it!

Will try and find the guide!

simch said:
Jabba leave them on with ihi on s3.

how sure are you of this and do you know why?
it does look so much better gone though doesnt it?

20vtdaz said:
how sure are you of this and do you know why?
it does look so much better gone though doesnt it?

I'd say I am pretty sure about this.......I took it off for a plug change on mine yesterday!!! lol

Physically it can be removed but there is a reason for it. Belive its so the n75s and n249 are always operateable even if the motor dies or is not running.
Maybe they leave it on as a safety feature, but its definately on mine!!

20vtdaz said:

Nice reply:icon_thumright: I do actually know what it's there for and it IS there for a reason. PS if you care what your engine looks like, you bought the wrong car.

If you look back at my reply and then your response I think you'll see who the gobby one is, oh by the way, I'll happily tell you what I think in person just as much as I will on here.

Just incase anyone else is reading this and thinking it's a good idea to start choping away, the below is the charge air system works on an S3 with a secondary air system.

In that guide on the seat site they are talking about removing number 21 (the N249 valve) and number 14 (the reservoir), both of which, in my opinion form quite an integral part of both the secondary air system and the boost control system (from a safety point of view anyway). I would say if you're going to do anything remove the whole lot as per the vwvortex link, but then you might fail your next MOT unless your cats are hot when they do the emissions test and you might get the added bonus of fault codes etc.

PS, the reason I started looking into this last week (as it happens) is because either my N112 valve is ******** or I've got a vacuum leak somewhere.

You're being a bit over dramatic, its a very common mod and no ones engine has spontaneously combusted yet.

Which bit am I being over dramatic about? I don't remember saying the engine would go bang, however after already paying for one new engine myself I have no inclination to remove any safety feature that Audi may have added.

If you understood how it works, it NOT a safety feature.

Its a compression/vacuum reservoir used to enable quicker opening and closing of the DV.

That said, the pipework created a bottleneck and it actually doesnt fulfill purpose. Its pretty simple to figure out when you look at a working diagram.

Go read the Vortex thread, I'm sure that will allay your fears.

LOADS of people have - as per Vortex and SeatCupra.

Makes it tidier, limited gains if any.

I had this mod done on my last car.. the difference can be felt, car felt more responsive IMO

Dave_Bayern said:
If you understood how it works, it NOT a safety feature.

Its a compression/vacuum reservoir used to enable quicker opening and closing of the DV.

That said, the pipework created a bottleneck and it actually doesnt fulfill purpose. Its pretty simple to figure out when you look at a working diagram.

Go read the Vortex thread, I'm sure that will allay your fears.

Firstly, I don't have any fears because I'm not interested in making my engine look nicer as it's just about the most ugly one I've ever seen, secondly I'd rather drive it than worry about what it looks like under the bonnet.

I'm pretty sure I do understand how it works, and to my mind this does take a safety function, all be it a limited one. Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but does the N249 valve not allow the ECU to control the diverter valve directly?

You are not wrong that is what it does.

But it then means you are adding a mechanical AND electronic bottleneck to a system that was designed to use mechanical means only for operation.

If we assumed that Audi did everything because it was better in later models, how come the original AGU engine is still the strongest available?

I thought the APY engine was meant to have the strongest internals of any of the 1.8T engines, or do you mean overall reliability? To be honest I don't think they're that reliable anyway, however the most annoying bits aren't even made by Audi so I get that's not all their fault.

The AGU has the strongest internals.

Large port head, stronger forged rods (rest are cast) and 20mm pins.

BAM also has forged rods, but only 18mm pins.

I understood the APY also had 20mm pins from everything I've seen on the subject. Granted it does have the small port head. I also believe all the 210+ bhp engines had forged rods, however it was ages ago when I was actually bothered.

Wish I'd had a closer look when mine was in bits now.

Dave_Bayern said:
You're being a bit over dramatic, its a very common mod and no ones engine has spontaneously combusted yet.

You dont want to shock load IHI bearings though!!

Dave_Bayern said:
The AGU has the strongest internals.

Large port head, stronger forged rods (rest are cast) and 20mm pins.

BAM also has forged rods, but only 18mm pins.

My Bam has 20mils!

Someone reckoned they had a BAM with 19mils in, not heard of any 18s!

I belive some of the very early BAM motors had 19s.

But motors specs is confusing, as people what the reckon the CR is on the various motors to see how much confusion there is!

simch said:
My Bam has 20mils!

Someone reckoned they had a BAM with 19mils in, not heard of any 18s!

I belive some of the very early BAM motors had 19s.

But motors specs is confusing, as people what the reckon the CR is on the various motors to see how much confusion there is!

BAM and AMK have 19mm gudgeon pins, cast rods, and forged pistons.

So not as strong as 20mm pins, forged rods and pistons?

Hence the majority of silly power BT's certainly on the VW side are running AGU.

Mind, the lack of MAP sensor, large port head and simpler controllers probably helps too.

Yeah Dave, AGU and AGY are the better engines for a BT conversion. Not sure about the forged rods - never heard of that before. Then again, I don't follow the MKIV scene.

god_thats_quick said:
Nice reply:icon_thumright: I do actually know what it's there for and it IS there for a reason. PS if you care what your engine looks like, you bought the wrong car.

If you look back at my reply and then your response I think you'll see who the gobby one is, oh by the way, I'll happily tell you what I think in person just as much as I will on here.

if you knew all this why reply so negatively? i asked a simple question, but thanks for your further reply's, and to everybody elses replys, anybody going to be brave enough to try it?