Driveshaft fitment/interchangeable

StaceyS3

Reaction score
Hi all.

Been having some issues breaking outer CV joints as of late. I'm currently running the bolt style of outer CV, but am now considering running the Stud and nut type hoping they will be solid rather than hollow and be a bit stronger?

I've broken a mixture of genuine joints as well as a cheaper aftermarket alternative. They had been fitted to the correct VAG specs. I had tried not tightening them quite so much to put less preload against the joint which also failed this weekend.

Does anyone know if the hubs etc are identical for both style of fitments before I start buying bits?

Also on the off chance anyone know if the stud type are solid or also hollow inside the splined part of the joint?

Thanks

Pretty sure I read a thread a week or so ago which Tuffty contributed to, saying the hubs were different between the Allen bolt and nut.

I already had the 12 point nut on mine, but just changed them for cheap J and R ones - with the aim to replace just the knackered CVs on my original Audi shafts.

I'm fairly sure they're solid. Mine are stud/nut type.
Have you looked into aftermarket solutions?

Yeah tbh anything after market is very expensive, if i can find a cheaper solution thats readilly available it will be a bonus :D

Pretty sure I read a thread a week or so ago which Tuffty contributed to, saying the hubs were different between the Allen bolt and nut.

I already had the 12 point nut on mine, but just changed them for cheap J and R ones - with the aim to replace just the knackered CVs on my original Audi shafts.

I think @<tuffty/> would be the man to know this info and help out or @badger5 as i'm sure the nut and stud type should be stronger and possibly solid?

I had used two J&R shafts on mine to which failed, thought it was due to quality but the OEMs are no better lol

The hubs are different... bolted types have a raised collar in the centre where as the nut type sits flush...

I don't know if the nut type is solid but from a manufacturing perspective it seems silly to introduce a void for no apparent reason... the weak point will still be there but you may get a few more runs in before it goes again :)

<tuffty/>

I don't have a lowered car but even then the angle of these driveshafts seem pretty steep, is it possible that if the car is lowered or suspension too hard etc that more pressure is on the end of the diveshaft - maybe if you change the hubs they will last longer too, in case they are not quite right, too much camber? etc

The hubs are different... bolted types have a raised collar in the centre where as the nut type sits flush...

I don't know if the nut type is solid but from a manufacturing perspective it seems silly to introduce a void for no apparent reason... the weak point will still be there but you may get a few more runs in before it goes again :)

<tuffty/>

Looks like some new hubs need to be found then as am fed up of replacing these and going more gentle on the launch when all you want to actually do is improve on your time!!! If i can actually string together a decent run i should hopefully see a 10.7-10.9 run, just need to get all them good moments together in sequence.

Like you say can't see any reason why any manufacturer in their right mind would go out of their way to remove material inside the hub?? Hoping they may last me more than a couple of runs though lol

Next year with slicks and more go though may be a different story lol

Subscribed - I have a set of these shafts in the garage - keen to see how you go with them.

Reactions: StaceyS3
Like you say can't see any reason why any manufacturer in their right mind would go out of their way to remove material inside the hub??

Haven't they removed it for the bolt to fit? Anything other than that is to allow for the joint to articulate I assume.

Haven't they removed it for the bolt to fit? Anything other than that is to allow for the joint to articulate I assume.
Sorry mis wrote that meant the inside of the stud type CV. I expect they're solid inside the spline area and as tuffty says can't imagine they would remove material there

Reactions: Sam_