Double din RNS-D retrofit - desperately need help!

Kev Boy

Reaction score
hey all,

I am almost finished a double din conversion from an Audi Concert to an RNS-D nav unit.

I have had the console out, modified the centre console, fitted the double cage and put it all back together again.

I am in the process of modifying the tray/climate control unit to fit the double din cage.

I plugged the new unit in and it had the Safe pin error message, so I have now put a bridge between the terminal 5 & 7 to correct this and have now gotten it to function using its code.

It is acting very strange now and I don’t know how to solve.

First of all it comes up saying that there is no CD changer and it doesn’t let me put in a CD. It also doesn’t turn off when the car goes off. The red LED button lights also don’t turn on.

Does this sound like common issues when retrofitting and how is best to rectify them?

My car is a A4 B7 3.0 TDi (late 240 bhp model if that matters).

Many thanks, Kevin.

Here is a picture:

Maybe this is too late but have you coded the unit correctly?

You can't just plug in a cd-changer cable, you have to tell the unit that you did too.

Second issue seems to be related, every unit is locked when transported so people don't steal the navigation DVDs, only way to open the tray is to re code the unit, maybe no one unlocked that one or locked it again.

Third could also be due to bad coding, do you know what car the unit came out of?
Your instrument cluster should send canbus signals to the unit to tell it when to power on and off, like when you turn the ignition (U.S standard I think) or when you put key in/out.

I'm actually having similar issues with my retrofit, usually it works fine, but it's very random.
Sometimes it shuts down when I open or close the driver door after powering the car off, sometimes when I remove the key.
Usually it powers on when I turn the ignition but sometimes the buttons won't light up, and sometimes I have to power it on myself with the button.
I'm still investigating so if you have any more info I'll b e glad to share it.
Although my car is too old (it's a C5) so some issues are to be expected.

Does your never work, like never start with the car or turn of with it, or is it random like mine?

Mine never works. It came with a CD changer so it comes up with the 6 CDs as the options, but none of the buttons light up and it never powers on or off with the car.

I have someone with VCDS going to program my car to work with it to see if that helps. If not, its back to the drawing board.

Then my guess is that there is an issue with the adapter you have, or if you already had the quadlock connector in the car the wires are probably in the wrong spot, either way the canbus signals aren't getting through like they should.
Maybe you have to pull out a diagram over your cars cables and the pins on the unit and see where it doesn't match up.

What unit did your car originally come with?

It was a single din audi concert head unit.

A CD changer will be recognised regardless of coding. The unit might have a fault logged regarding the CD changer and no coding, but it will work.

Once you get your car scanned best to put it in the Vcd's section on the site where people can view your faults and hopefully help you elimate bit by bit