CR140 vs CR170 which is best and any known issues

ashaudia3

Reaction score
So to cut a long **** story short. I've owned a PD140 dsg and currently have a PD170dsg. Great cars but had nightmares with both. Luckily my 170 is now in process of being swapped by Audi as I've had 7 major faults in 10months of ownership. 4 of them being injector issues.

So I've told them i want the CR engine.

However I don't know much about them. Are they a much better engine ect?

Any input would be great.

Cheers

I've never read as many threads as I have recently about cars being rejected. Sorry to hear your woes.

Both are good, but the 140 is probably more tried and tested and maps well.

Best of luck.

Cheers mate. I'm questioning wether Audi are putting quality behind there production now as youve stated alot of cars being rejected. Are they in market now just as a brand....

Hopefully i wont have any problems with next one.

Third time lucky hopefully

I tested both the CR140 and the CR170 before deciding on the CR140 for my current Sportback. The CR140 felt slightly smoother and quieter and I found I could take roundabouts etc in a higher gear with the CR140 than the CR170. I understand from talking to a Master Tech at my local dealers the only difference between them on the CR engines is the size of the turbo.

My CR140 has been re-mapped and now produces around 175bhp and it cost me £295 which is a lot less than the £950 difference in the price between the CR140 and the CR170.

As far as reliability is concerned I am on my 7th A3 - the first 4 were petrol engine versions and the last 3 have been a PD140, a PD170 and my current CR140. I usual keep them around 3 years and 30-40k miles and they have all been very reliable with only very minor problems which the dealer has quickly sorted. All the 3 diesels have also been S-tronic and again absolutely no problems with any of them. I really love the S-tronic and will never go back to a manual gearbox.

Last edited:
cheers, both my cars have been s-tronic. i'm only 22 and i wouldn't consider a manual again. Such a pleasure to drive.

Who did you use for your remap as that seems cheap, My old PD140 i used superchips which set me back £445 if i remember correctly

My CR140 has been re-mapped and now produces around 175bhp and it cost me £295 which is a lot less than the £950 difference in the price between the CR140 and the CR170.

Respect Dave, keep on modifying! Glad to see you still have the bug.

cheers, both my cars have been s-tronic. i'm only 22 and i wouldn't consider a manual again. Such a pleasure to drive.

Who did you use for your remap as that seems cheap, My old PD140 i used superchips which set me back £445 if i remember correctly

I used a company called Performance-Torque in Wolverhampton. Their website is www.p-torque.co.uk and the phone number is 01904 324584. They came well recommended by other members of this forum and I was very pleased with the re-map.

They are based in a small industrial estate in Wombourne on the outskirts of Wolverhampton and there is a little cafe at the entrance to the estate that does lovely bacon rolls!

cheers mate am in Manchester so its abit far. Good to know about the cafe if i do end up going. :)

where you based Bugsy? am in Newton Heath, 5 mins from City centre

I used a company called Performance-Torque in Wolverhampton. Their website is www.p-torque.co.uk and the phone number is 01904 324584. They came well recommended by other members of this forum and I was very pleased with the re-map.

They are based in a small industrial estate in Wombourne on the outskirts of Wolverhampton and there is a little cafe at the entrance to the estate that does lovely bacon rolls!

I know this is far back mate, but wanted to ask, once you had your remap done with standard turbo, how long did the turbo last you with no problems? Also ive seen PD140's remapped and a lot of smoke comes out, but I havent ever seen a CR140 remapped, Any smoke comes out with yours when you put your foot down? Because without a remap, CR140's do not have any smoke coming out, well mine doesnt..

The no smoke is due to the DPF, there's hardly anything coming out of the exhaust

If someone reputable like Paul maps your car there is no need for it to smoke excessively

Lots of smoke usually means a generic cheap map

Reactions: FaisalFazeli and Deze2014