chimes

firebobby

Reaction score
As you know this is my 1st Audi, so please be patient.....LOL.
I got a chiming noise today probably about 6-7 times then went lower (in volume) then went off! I couldn't see any flashing signs.....perhaps I didn't look quick enough! looking at the manual it says they were important because there were "3" chimes. After turning ign off, is there any way to recall the last faults? I was only going at 30mph, and didn't notice anything odd.
regards
dave

The only chimes I can think of are the seatbelt warning ones. But there would be a seatbelt warning symbol on the dash too. But this only appears while the chimes are going (if the car is moving). Perhaps you have a loose connection with the seltbelt sensor.

Hmm! Never thought of that. The handbook does say that if you get a priority fault, ie, coolant level, oil level, brake fault, that as well as the warning sign on the DIS, you also get 3 chimes? I'll wait to see if it does it again, at least I know to look straight at the DIS to see what fault is displayed.
regards
dave

I know with certain faults like brakes and bulbs you don't get chimes, you get a beep that lasts about 3 seconds IIRC.

The seatbelt warning doesn't appear in the DIS, just a dedicated symbol on the dash.

i got a chime saying top fluid up but you get a pic on the dash and its when you start up not when turning the engine off you could get someone with a comp with vag to check your faults that's the only way i no ..... did it only do it the once or every time you turn off the ignition

I was actually driving at the time! They (chimes) may have been beeps?? (when does a beep become a chime?) As I said, I didn't look at the DIS because I didn't know what the noise was!!! When I got home 2 mins later all was ok? Hmm! I'll certainly be on the ball next time...or is that "next CHIME"!!!..LOL
regards
dave

like the guy said below it maybe a seatbelt sensor fault then ...

I was actually driving at the time! They (chimes) may have been beeps?? (when does a beep become a chime?) As I said, I didn't look at the DIS because I didn't know what the noise was!!! When I got home 2 mins later all was ok? Hmm! I'll certainly be on the ball next time...or is that "next CHIME"!!!..LOL
regards
dave

where you perhaps cornering? Maybe the coolant or washer fluid was low & as you cornered it momentarily came on?

Have you checked what your max warning speed setting is in the DIS (can't remember whats its called) but if you go over that speed you get a warning sound which if I remember rightly is a chime sound.

Edit - its called speed warning function, page 108 of my manual.

Mmmmm, isn't that the alarm backup battery? Used to do that on the 8L A3.
Could be wrong though, best have a VCDS scan and check for faults.

Thanks for all your replies:thumbsup: One of the speed things was set for 21mph for some reason? But I've been over that speed...(obviously) many times without the chimes. I have now deleted all speed functions, and checked all my levels. I'll see how it goes from now on.
regards
dave

i had something like this and it was really simple!. I had put some shopping on the passenger seat and that was enough for the sensors in the passenger seat to think someone was sitting there.

Warnings a high pitched 'peeeep' the seatbelt in a 'bong bong bong' noise...

i had something like this and it was really simple!. I had put some shopping on the passenger seat and that was enough for the sensors in the passenger seat to think someone was sitting there.

Warnings a high pitched 'peeeep' the seatbelt in a 'bong bong bong' noise...

Does the passenger seat have a sensor? It doesn't in mine.

If you want to hear what the seatbelt noise is like then undo your seatbelt whilst driving. It's a series of beeps or chimes. All the other faults or warnings I have had have all been a 3 odd second long beep, just once.

If you want to hear what the seatbelt noise is like then undo your seatbelt whilst driving. It's a series of beeps or chimes. All the other faults or warnings I have had have all been a 3 odd second long beep, just once.

Yes seatbelt one will sound for 90 seconds, and will light the symbol on the dash. After that the chime stops just leaving the light on.

The one bong I miss from when I drove my SEAT Ibiza, and from being a passenger in both my mates VWs, is the Outside temperature one. The one that activates when the outside temp drops below 4 degs C while driving. All we get in the Audi is the Snowflake in the DIS. :(

Yes seatbelt one will sound for 90 seconds, and will light the symbol on the dash. After that the chime stops just leaving the light on.

The one bong I miss from when I drove my SEAT Ibiza, and from being a passenger in both my mates VWs, is the Outside temperature one. The one that activates when the outside temp drops below 4 degs C while driving. All we get in the Audi is the Snowflake in the DIS. :(

What part of my post were you responding to? I'm confused. I was asking The911SC about the passenger seat warning.

Yes, passenger seat does have a sensor. Sometimes goes if I put my butty box there!

What part of my post were you responding to? I'm confused. I was asking The911SC about the passenger seat warning.

Sorry, hit the wrong button at the end of your post. I hit 'Quote' instead of 'Q-reply'. I just wanted to put a 'general' reply about the seatbelt chime. Been a long day. No offence intended.

Sportback, with an 05 plate.
They keep changing things, so maybe they have stopped the passenger seat belt chimes.

Sorry, hit the wrong button at the end of your post. I hit 'Quote' instead of 'Q-reply'. I just wanted to put a 'general' reply about the seatbelt chime. Been a long day. No offence intended.

No I didn't take offense don't worry, I was just confused by what you meant :thumbsup:

Sussed it out!!!! The car came with traffic master. Even though I don't subscribe it's still operative. This has a speed camera locator upgrade, and that's what the chimes are!!!! When I approach a speed camera over the road speed limit the chimes kick in to warn me...cool or what....
regards
dave