Audi S3 door blade trim coming off!

Greig300

Reaction score
Recently I've realised the outside trim was coming off and was getting worse by the day... I had noticed long before the trim falling off the corrosion bubbles forming on the paint above the trim and was also getting worse. (I went to dealer about the corrosion warranty complete waste of time) anyway, using the screws to take the trim off done nothing. The screws either just turned and turned or were so corroded it wasn't recognisable as a screw. I have now taken then trim off by pulling it slowly off. I now need to know the screw part NO and if the plastic strip that's still on the door can be saved or do I need the whole lot replaced? Any help would be great.

Here is some images:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Maybe this should be a warning to other members,the rusty screws have caused the corrosion of the doors or at the very least helped it along.
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/158719-s3-door-blade-removal-guide-pictures.html
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...ttempting-door-blade-removal-later-today.html

I agree, it can wreck what is a nice car. It happens fast and is costly to fix (paint) not sure about the rest of the parts. If I were to get another 8L S3 one of the first things I'd do is remove all screws and clean it and fit new screws.

Reactions: voorhees
Yeah I feel for you bud but hindsight is brilliant

The plastic strip is still on the door. Does that slide back into the trim?

The plastic strip is still on the door. Does that slide back into the trim?

It should still slide back in. The white nylon strip is pressed in the plastic door trim with a rubber part in between. Over time, the rubber part shrinks, so the nylon part pops off. You can do 'The Doctors' fix, and screw the nylon part back onto the plastic trim and reattach to the car door. Or use longer screws and screw through the door and into the plastic trim, which is what I have done. Buying new ones is silly, they are like £150 each now!

If you can remove the nylon insert without damaging it then unibond/glue the inserts back into the trim and then slide back on. The nylon insert should slide off. The screws that corroded hold the blade in place you might need to replace these with self tapers

Last edited:
Also if you buy a new one from the dealer it is unpainted!! So you need to get a body shop to match it as the originals are coloured moulded plastic.

Also if you buy a new one from the dealer it is unpainted!! So you need to get a body shop to match it as the originals are coloured moulded plastic.

Still don't understand this? I just purchased my driver side one and bolted on, no paint needed. The shade was very minor difference due to being new, but now weathered, they look the same!?

New one fitted fresh from Audi!
134-3405_IMG.jpg

Brand spanking new door blade looks like this.
134-3404_IMG.jpg

Knackered one that's been on car for 5years+(I tried to repair it with Araldite, which lasted 6 months, you can see the glue marks)
134-3403_IMG.jpg

Sounds like it's worth replacing them even if they're not an issue right?

The screws would definitely be worth changing....but only due to them siezing up and becoming a major headache in the long run if/when you do need to refit the door blade.

Saying that though- I doubt your screws will rust/corrode that much compared to us UK guys, as we have such lovely weather conditions over here :)

Its definitely the screws that cause the corrosion. It'd replace them all before yours goes the same.

Are the screws definitely M4 x 20mm as Dave S3 suggested? I didn't measure them when I replaced the passenger side blade.

Are the screws definitely M4 x 20mm as Dave S3 suggested? I didn't measure them when I replaced the passenger side blade.
I'm sure they are Paul,so tiny are these things that I needed one from the Stealers and they gave it me free of charge :ohmy:

The screws were 27p each from the dealers back in the day, and they come with washers. The replacements I got we're galvanised too I think? Still all rusted over time, as I had to redo the passenger side one.

Still don't understand this? I just purchased my driver side one and bolted on, no paint needed. The shade was very minor difference due to being new, but now weathered, they look the same!?

Maybe because yours is pre-facelift?? I dunno but yours look a different colour to mine, a very pale grey. My originals were a very dark grey so I had the new one painted to match. I assumed that was the norm, but Perhaps not!!

My driver side door blade finally gave up the ghost yesterday. Fortunatley the plastic bracket and screws were OK. On inspection the metal insert seems to rust inside the rubber moulding causing expansion and distortion of the rubber which releases the plastic bracket and then results in the failure. I was able to remove the old rubber and rusted metal so the plastic bracket is flush with the blade and then re-bond and screw it back into place - which seemed to do the trick, for now anyway ...