Audi A4 Cab roof problems PLEASE HELP

geordie944

Reaction score
Hi well i put the roof down on my audi the other day then when i went to put it back up the cover opend then that was it so i closed it using the t-handle key thing then when i try open it now the front uncatches and roof opens about 1.5 inch and then nothing else happens i have tried resetting it by opening/closing with the key

when i scaned it for faults on vag-com there is no faults showing

the only thing i can see is that the measure blocks is giving outputs of

11011010100110 i dont think this is correct but not sure

any help gratley recived

you prob have a sensor down

hiya fellas ,
i think i might have the same problem (or similar) as geordie. i was cleaning the car yesterday , put the roof down to give it a polish ,it came with no problems.
went to put the roof back up and thats when the problem arose , the back flap came up around 2 inches then stopped. i the put up the roof manually (with the tbar hoojimmyflop thingy) and then tried to operate it normally after that , and exactly the same happened approx 2 ins and stopped ,

any answers anyone .

hiya fellas ,
i think i might have the same problem (or similar) as geordie. i was cleaning the car yesterday , put the roof down to give it a polish ,it came with no problems.
went to put the roof back up and thats when the problem arose , the back flap came up around 2 inches then stopped. i the put up the roof manually (with the tbar hoojimmyflop thingy) and then tried to operate it normally after that , and exactly the same happened approx 2 ins and stopped ,

any answers anyone .

Hello "Big Smudge"

What year is the car? Have you got any fault codes? If not I have had the same problem in mine and wrote a guide how to repair:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s...et-soft-top-roof-hood-motor-repair-guide.html

It is due to poor contact between the brushes and motor commutator, as the brushes wear they stop travelling freely in the brush carrier this causes them to arc and leave deposits on the commutator. Take off the motor bell housing, clean the commutator with some fine sand paper and do not forget to open up the brush carrier by prying with a screw driver to stop it happening again.

hiya fellas , <br>i think i might have the same problem (or similar) as geordie. i was cleaning the car yesterday , put the roof down to give it a polish ,it came with no problems. <br>went to put the roof back up and thats when the problem arose , the back flap came up around 2 inches then stopped. i the put up the roof manually (with the tbar hoojimmyflop thingy) and then tried to operate it normally after that&nbsp; , and exactly the same happened approx 2 ins and stopped , <br><br>any answers anyone .

hello krumz , thanks for that reply mate much aprreciate it , however i know nothing about cars but theres a lad whos going to look at it for me on monday who is an auto electrician and ill pass on that info , but ill also look at the link you sent me .

thanks krumz

true gent

1st off id have the fault codes read
theres so many sensors etc its prety hard to say whats what

Krumz. Excellent write-up on roof problems and the commutator needing to be cleaned. My girlfriends 2006 A4 developed a fault last year and she asked Audi to investigate as part of the minor service. It went in last week. Audi spent 2 hours (ca £240) investigating and said they found a short which they repaired however that didn't fix it. We went to collect yesterday. They have diagnosed a fault with the roof motor/ hydraulic pump and are quoting just over £1,000 for a replacement plus 2 hours labour, a relay and top-up fluid. In total, nearly £1,600. I followed your excellent instructions and removed the casing to the motor. The commutator had a dark band which i cleaned with wet and dry. I also cleaned the 'lines' with a blade and sprayed WD40 on the brushes (I didn't didn't try to free them though?). Unfortunately still not working (the roof will still lift only a couple of inches). I climbed in to the boot and had my girlfriend start the engine and try to operate the roof. There were no noises from the pump other than some clicks which I think were the relays. Just wondering if there is any thing else I might be missing? I have found a repair service on ebay which at £75 seems reasonable. Just for further guidance, where would i need to connect a multimeter to test if the motor is receiving power and would someone need to operate the roof switch at the same time? Many thanks..

krumz,,,i had a problem with my rs4 (been off road for winter) cab roof 06 with only 34,000miles on clock,,i used your guide and i fixed it,,,thank you very much.

Reactions: VagPro
I would clean the wd40 off it for a start. It needs a dry contact to make connection, wd40 will make it worse.

Thanks Blackie. I should have said that i sprayed the WD40 on the arms to the brushes rather than directly.

Krumz. Excellent write-up on roof problems and the commutator needing to be cleaned. My girlfriends 2006 A4 developed a fault last year and she asked Audi to investigate as part of the minor service. It went in last week. Audi spent 2 hours (ca £240) investigating and said they found a short which they repaired however that didn't fix it. We went to collect yesterday. They have diagnosed a fault with the roof motor/ hydraulic pump and are quoting just over £1,000 for a replacement plus 2 hours labour, a relay and top-up fluid. In total, nearly £1,600. I followed your excellent instructions and removed the casing to the motor. The commutator had a dark band which i cleaned with wet and dry. I also cleaned the 'lines' with a blade and sprayed WD40 on the brushes (I didn't didn't try to free them though?). Unfortunately still not working (the roof will still lift only a couple of inches). I climbed in to the boot and had my girlfriend start the engine and try to operate the roof. There were no noises from the pump other than some clicks which I think were the relays. Just wondering if there is any thing else I might be missing? I have found a repair service on ebay which at £75 seems reasonable. Just for further guidance, where would i need to connect a multimeter to test if the motor is receiving power and would someone need to operate the roof switch at the same time? Many thanks..

Hello Rob,

I had a problem once where I cleaned the commutator but as the brushes were stuck in the guide they were not making contact and hence the roof did not work. Few things to do:

1 - Stick the multimeter on the two wires going to the motor and see if it is getting power by operating the boot switch. If it is then it is the motor (£180.00) from Audi or the brushes might be stuck. The repair service on ebay would cover that too.

2 - Get a diagnostic done and see the fault codes you are getting

Even if it is the hydraulic control unit
Sanburn breakers will get you one for a few 100£. Give them a call, speak to Wayne or Dave tell them Khurrum has pointed you in their direction and get a price for the unit (if they have it) 02476637376
Also BBA Reman may be able to repair it.

If you need to have a chat drop me your email add and I will send you my phone number

Just want to make a quick mention to autoelectron on eBay. As per my question to Krumz following his excellent write-up, I still had a problem with my roof motor having cleaned the commutator. I found autoelectron's repair service on eBay where for £74.95 he tests, repairs and posts back your roof motor. I literally posted my motor to Mervyn in Yorkshire from Surrey at 2pm on Friday. I received a text on Saturday to say that the motor had been received, repaired and tested and was being posted back. It was received on Monday and I fitted it this evening and the roof is now once again working for the first time in over a year. The next job is to get on to Audi's head office and question why their diagnosis took two hours (£240) and how they can happily justify their quote to repair the roof by replacing the motor and hydraulic pump at a cost of £1,600!

Reactions: VagPro
Good result and what great service. Nice to hear a happy ending.

Thats why they are known as the stealers.

Got a similar problem, the rear window section of the hood is not moving hydraulically and putting the hood sensors out of sync. Hydraulic motor works for all the other stages of opening and shutting so thats ok. Are there sensors for each phase of opening and shutting and is there a list/diagram of them anywhere please?
Great write up Krumz and helpful threads have got me this far.
Andy