Audi A4 Black Edition or Quattro?

The black edition de-chromes the outside of the car and includes other little tweets such as the bang and Olson speakers and black alloys. The Quattro means it's 4 wheel drive... so if your looking for style go for the black edition and if you're looking for performance I'd go for the Quattro, you could always style it to look like a black edition anyway. Hope this helps!

Here is my black edition -
323b36ec0f2c6831284b99d8c3ad4d91.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: dokkaudi
The black edition de-chromes the outside of the car and includes other little tweets such as the bang and Olson speakers and black alloys. The Quattro means it's 4 wheel drive... so if your looking for style go for the black edition and if you're looking for performance I'd go for the Quattro, you could always style it to look like a black edition anyway. Hope this helps!

Here is my black edition -

Sweet! Looks awesome. So would the Quattro not have the little extra tweaks that the Black Edition has? if not then the Quattro is just a 4wd S line with more power?

Sweet! Looks awesome. So would the Quattro not have the little extra tweaks that the Black Edition has? if not then the Quattro is just a 4wd S line with more power?
Quattro means more grip, not necessarily more power.

If you want aesthetics go for the black edition (unless you like chrome). If you want grip and potentially more power, get a Quattro. If you want both get a Quattro black edition

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Reactions: JamesGlober

Cheers! You can get a black edition Quattro which would be the best of both. You're best comparing the specs of both types and test drive a Quattro compared to a FWD. Mines fwd and can wheel spin heavily!

c28162398781fb4826cb6c6cb917f176.jpg
f2f6cdfb340dda2cabe525dd25fb4013.jpg
d91c378fd7a79fd532a6cb3ceff7f052.jpg

Here's my black edition (non Quattro) with black rings and badges. And you get a flat bottom steering wheel

Sent from my Note 4 using tapatalk

Oh sorry I thought they came as both. I have BE and Quattro but not all extras like the flat bottom wheel

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Hi all just wanted to jump in with the word " quattro " small q, thanks :yes::zen:

Reactions: Sematic and Noo3thou
Personally I'd prefer the aesthetics and looks to be honest. I know the quattro maybe has a bit more power but how much power do you want when you can only go maximum 70mph on the motorway! I'm sure the Black Edition has enough power but definitely I'd want it more for the extra tweaks and sleeker looks. Currently have an A4 S Line (2011) but looking to upgrade now to the Black Edition.

Personally I'd prefer the aesthetics and looks to be honest. I know the quattro maybe has a bit more power but how much power do you want when you can only go maximum 70mph on the motorway! I'm sure the Black Edition has enough power but definitely I'd want it more for the extra tweaks and sleeker looks. Currently have an A4 S Line (2011) but looking to upgrade now to the Black Edition.

More power !!!! always more power i want it all :smilingimp:

Reactions: gray99y, Noo3thou, gary_a4_quattro and 1 other person
You gotta test drive both; 2 wheel drive and quattro vehicle, make your decision on your experience of a test drive. If you really don't enjoy that much spirited driving or value the extra security on the road that the quattro system provides, go for the 2 wheel drive variant.

The quattro will cost you more too, probably in initial purchase and also you'll suffer a slight reduction in fuel economy in comparison to the 2 wheel drive.

As with everything Audi, just check the option list fitted to any car your interested in - get one where the initial purchaser had an affinity to ticking little square boxes !!!

Reactions: Chop. and Noo3thou
Got a black edition quattro and was the first one I drove. Havent drove a 2wd B8.5 A4.

Quattro does sap a bit power over the 2wd variants but the level of grip is simply amazing. Dont think id look back again at a 2wd one. Just feels much better planted to the road all round.

Quattro doesnt always mean its more money.

I had an B7 A4 2wd for 10 yrs before i got what i have now, an B8 Quattro. It's my 1st Quattro but my 4th A4 in a row. The engine size 2.0T 208bhp in my current car is the same as was in my old car. The Quattro to me does feel an heavier car but it definitely has much more grip when you put your foot down. The 0-60 is actually quicker than the 2wd. Don't think i'll go back to a 2wd car again after this.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Red A4 2.0T 2011 Quattro Dynamik

Last edited:
My only gripe is they should have give you a bit more power to go with the quattro. They by no means slow, but nothing special. 175bhp and 1600kg makes it pretty lardy.

My only gripe is they should have give you a bit more power to go with the quattro. They by no means slow, but nothing special. 175bhp and 1600kg makes it pretty lardy.
If you want speed is the solution not to choose a bigger engine?

The engines for models where they do both a quattro and fwd version are identical, the choice of going quattro relates to how much grip you want, not speed.

true. I have a track car to go fast in.

But all I was trying to say, dont expect it to be quick. Cars with a lot less power can easily pull away from mine.

Guess that's where the S4 comes in

Yeah true. Bit different on the fuel bill though :p

Reactions: DrEskimo
Yeah true. Bit different on the fuel bill though :p

Unless you're looking at the 2.0TFSI. My plan was to go for 2.0TFSI Quattro and opted for the 3.0V6 in the end. To my relief it turns out the real world MPG of both isn't far off...about 5-10MPG between them!

Extra performance more than makes it worth it :)

Obviously a diesel is a different matter...!

Why not get a Quattro black edition? Best of both worlds? And if you want speed then go for the 3.0tdi or 2.0tfsi

If I had the money and the quattro black edition was available I would of gone for the double. I am still happy with the FWD Black edition though!! Great looking car with nice extras!!

I have spec'd my new A4 to pretty much be the black edition due to the fact they do not make a black edition yet!!