Audi A3 8L Dash Display Dead Pixel Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nynex, could you have taken the plastic off, put it back on and with your fingers pushed the display down to compress it to achieve the same affect as a quick non-destructive test? Is that my understanding of what you were essentially trying to do permanently with the heat gun?

thx,
luck

Any diy repair is taken on by the owner at their own risk.
I wouldnt ask for a cook book to be removed from sale just because i cant boil an egg

Negative outcomes = 4 (a couple very negative!)
Positive outcomes = 4 and to various degrees and not all followed tutorial
Neutrals = 2
Nynex had a display that was just 'barely' starting to go bad relative to how bad these displays can and do often apparently degenerate to. He did to different repair techniques without testing each out individually first. It may be true that in his case only one of the two were necessary. Since we don't know all the different failure modes this item can be subject to it seems like a good idea
In the thread, rasA4 said great work on the tutorial but didn't say he had the problem let alone attempted to use the tutorial so we discount that one.
jojo. On the first day of the thread he comments on browser choice and decides to make the thread a sticky a little later on but never comes back and comments on using the tutorial or results.

Same for abdus, great looking guide, no comment on using it or even having the problem.
Dennis Moelle again compliments the look of the guide, says he has the problem and will have a go at repair but never reports back so again no definitive after task feedback from a thread contributor.
Dani B19 tries and reports back in a couple of days he made things worse including breaking the rev needle by turning it off in the wrong direction. One for the negative outcome column and he suggests removing the thread.
voorhees also makes a comment on the 'sticky' of the thread but nothing actionable on personal the use of the tutorial and the results.
Byzan A4 He claims "this old fix works 50% of the time". My first question is which fix? The adding of electrical tape to get a better compression fit or the remelting of the glue to try and get a better bond? We'd love to know where he gets his stats from because so far we cant' see that from the thread and I can't find anything else anywhere doing generic Google searches. He says he's going to try this on his A3 but doesn't report back either. The link to his home page doesn't work (for me anyway) so no instant joy there. I sent him a private message asking for feedback.
20vtmk3. a few posts but I think to summarize he had some limited success. One for the slightly better column.
Tuffty had a go with no change when it's all said and done. Neutral.
haugie says he'll try but we never hear back.
alonsodhv starts the process but his dash doesn't match the tutorial layout and he stops.
Prawn tries with neutral results.
petrol-head say's he'll try and we never hear back.
Paul, reno is unique. He doesn't use the heat gun, just compresses the blue tape back down and it works for him. Successfull fix but didn't use any heat. Humm. Makes me wonder if the compression fix should be attempted first as maybe the heat can do as much damage as good if one does't really know what they are doing.
xcuriouschickx never reports back that he used the tutorial or ever got it working.
paul26982 falls in the much worse off, negative outcome column.
kitpayne doesn't understand how to take the needles off or put them back on 'correctly'. He asks a question and we never hear back. Many others bring this general subject up. Should be added to the tutorial with some pictures and warnings about consequences like Dani B19 found out about.
nynex later discusses a rubber strip that has to be there in order for this to work when reassembled. It's not in the tutorial? Should be added?
maznaz tried and was a neutral but only discusses adding more heat. Did he try the extra packing/compression too?
Jonny 87 never reports back on results.
NellyB tried and it was worse off in the end. Another for the negative results column.
rambodinio tried and made it worse. Another for the negative results column.
Nate tried and had some limited success and reports he's going to try additional techniques but we never hear back.

Negative outcomes = 4 (a couple very negative!)
Positive outcomes = 4 and to various degrees and not all followed tutorial
Neutrals = 2
Nynex had a display that was just 'barely' starting to go bad relative to how bad these displays can and do often apparently degenerate to. He did to different repair techniques without testing each out individually first. It may be true that in his case only one of the two were necessary. Since we don't know all the different failure modes this item can be subject to it seems like a good idea
In the thread, rasA4 said great work on the tutorial but didn't say he had the problem let alone attempted to use the tutorial so we discount that one.
jojo. On the first day of the thread he comments on browser choice and decides to make the thread a sticky a little later on but never comes back and comments on using the tutorial or results.

Same for abdus, great looking guide, no comment on using it or even having the problem.
Dennis Moelle again compliments the look of the guide, says he has the problem and will have a go at repair but never reports back so again no definitive after task feedback from a thread contributor.
Dani B19 tries and reports back in a couple of days he made things worse including breaking the rev needle by turning it off in the wrong direction. One for the negative outcome column and he suggests removing the thread.
voorhees also makes a comment on the 'sticky' of the thread but nothing actionable on personal the use of the tutorial and the results.
Byzan A4 He claims "this old fix works 50% of the time". My first question is which fix? The adding of electrical tape to get a better compression fit or the remelting of the glue to try and get a better bond? We'd love to know where he gets his stats from because so far we cant' see that from the thread and I can't find anything else anywhere doing generic Google searches. He says he's going to try this on his A3 but doesn't report back either. The link to his home page doesn't work (for me anyway) so no instant joy there. I sent him a private message asking for feedback.
20vtmk3. a few posts but I think to summarize he had some limited success. One for the slightly better column.
Tuffty had a go with no change when it's all said and done. Neutral.
haugie says he'll try but we never hear back.
alonsodhv starts the process but his dash doesn't match the tutorial layout and he stops.
Prawn tries with neutral results.
petrol-head say's he'll try and we never hear back.
Paul, reno is unique. He doesn't use the heat gun, just compresses the blue tape back down and it works for him. Successfull fix but didn't use any heat. Humm. Makes me wonder if the compression fix should be attempted first as maybe the heat can do as much damage as good if one does't really know what they are doing.
xcuriouschickx never reports back that he used the tutorial or ever got it working.
paul26982 falls in the much worse off, negative outcome column.
kitpayne doesn't understand how to take the needles off or put them back on 'correctly'. He asks a question and we never hear back. Many others bring this general subject up. Should be added to the tutorial with some pictures and warnings about consequences like Dani B19 found out about.
nynex later discusses a rubber strip that has to be there in order for this to work when reassembled. It's not in the tutorial? Should be added?
maznaz tried and was a neutral but only discusses adding more heat. Did he try the extra packing/compression too?
Jonny 87 never reports back on results.
NellyB tried and it was worse off in the end. Another for the negative results column.
rambodinio tried and made it worse. Another for the negative results column.
Nate tried and had some limited success and reports he's going to try additional techniques but we never hear back.

what about guests who have read it and fixed it or members who haven't bothered in replying ? currently this has nearly six thousand views so we should have more than 10 results

Last edited:
My hunch is the number of 'viewers' were overwhelming just reading out of curiousity and may not have even had a problem, just reading posts about a car they like or are wondering to buy. Number of visits is irrelevant. Decisions shoud be based on data from personal documented accounts.

Decisions shoud be based on data from personal documented accounts.

I'm sorry but in my own experiance of this site people come and go when their pride and joy is fixed so your not going to get accurate data.
I never started the thread so no allegiances but ten people out of six thousand views have tried the fix ? If you wish to be scientific about it then how could them figures be right for giving a black and white verdict on the fix ?

Okay will do...will this improve Anglo-American Audi relations ;)

Okay will do...will this improve Anglo-American Audi relations ;)
dont mean to be a nag etc, just intrested to see the percentage to who's are fixed and who's isnt, in a fashion i have my self to blame as i tried the stupid guide, im not blaming anyone else, but with it been a common problem and people wanting a fix (no not that type of one) i myself and feel others are responsobile for completely F**K**G other peoples DIS's up, yes you are right also, people dont read or 100% follow whats been said that it may or may not fix but, just personally think it shouldnt be stickied etc as people take it for granted and its doing alot more damage than help.

Paul,I understand what you are pointing out but all whats posted as fixes/how to/modding on here is open to that kind of critiscism......I know my carbon b-pillars don't look as good as I was led to believe they were;)
The dis fix is before splashing out for a new one so think its worth a last gasp try but will wait for the results of the poll.

well i check with google analytics and it has been downloaded 2,345 times on its current location and it had a further 600 before i moved the host to this one. im sure more people can post back there experiences.

it's kind of a given that if something falls off when you do thinsg like this that they need to go back. but having said that it was for this reason i was trying to be thorough and included many photos, so its clear what should be where.

i see the heating the strip to rebond the glue as the fix, the tape or card or whatever you dcide to use as a way to try and prevent the problem coming back.

i tried it 3 times, first i packed the DIS frame with one layer of insualtion tape and it made no difference, 2nd time i packed the DIS frame with 3 layers of insulation tape and still no better, 3rd time i removed the insualtion tape, applied more heat to all areas of the DIS the ribbon cable and where it connects to PCB, i used a cotton bud to wipe all contacts etc. i assembled it all and found it to be ever so slightly better, maybed i got rid of three lines when i originally had something like 25.

what i did find was the needle removing was a nightmare. i followed the guide to the T but when prising the needles off you move the spindle slightlsy so what i did after trying to get needles back in position 4 times, was plug the clocks in without the perspex screen. everytime you plug the clocks in the clocks calibrate them selves to zero. i found all my needles were out slightly. so i uplugged the clocks and repositioned the needles, plugged them in again, and adjusted the neddles again until i had them spot on. once spot on, i uplugged the clocks and put the perspex screen back on.

so the answer to a previous question is yes you can install the clocks without the dial faces, needles and perspex screen, so you are able to apply pressure with your finger to see if the DIS gets better or not. (i didnt do this as i was running out of time but im going to next weekend. if it does get better i will pack the DIS frame with someting more substantial perhaps some rubber cut from a door seal or something)

i followed the guide exactly and it didnt break or make my DIS worse, some people have a light touch and others can be too heavy handed, we can't blame the guide author for peoples c0ck ups, im gratefull for the guide even though it hasnt fixed my prob, without it i would have lived with the prob, i have tried and failed to fix it so fair enough.

is the link dead now?

Back on now.

Buy one of these:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dash-LCD-AUDI-...item25597808d2

Get your soldering iron out, and give it whirl, I guy on the TT forum has done it. Cheaper than sending it away

in case you are thinking about doing it, I would tell you that this is very precise soldering skills needed to do it. You could always try just heating the existing joints with an iron before replacing, it can also be that the joint has dried and will cause problems too.

I tried to repair the screen yesterday because i had dead lines running through it.

I followed the instructions i found on this site (but cant find now) and managed to do it but i could not remove the needles and the dials, so i just heated the top of the strip and pushed it down i then put some tape on the inside of the frame around the lip and put it back together and i made no difference, i did this a second time and still no difference some lines flash up and work but then go off.

Also i diddnt put the MPH needle on 0 i accidentall left it below 0 so when i am driving i will actually be going a few miles an hour faster than the speedo shows. (is there a quick way to fix theis E.G. a dial sweep or do they have to come out again)

So all in all not successfull, Does any one have any tips for me? or should i look on the bay and try and buy a new dash pod???

Do anyone know if a DIS from any Audi A3 will fit a S3.

Nathan

I recently replaced mine with a brand new one (electronic engineer) by trade. I tried using the guide to apply more pressure but did not make a difference, if anything worse. Was considering offering it as a service. But not sure how many people would be interested at £150 each repaired - brand new LCD fitted?

Was meant to do this ages ago as it seems its not the fix we thought it was

thread locked

Status
Not open for further replies.