anti roll bars

paddy

Reaction score
Looking at anti roll bars now as it goes fast in a straight line but its a bit hit and miss on corners when you are trucking on. Anybody fitted them F and B with stock suspension ? I am basically stock with a 20mm spring drop on the front
I don't want coilovers :)
VWR are £500 a pair......H&R £350 i tend to lean towards VWR, they probably did some testing first. The front Anti roll bar on my 406 coupe snapped years ago on a fast corner like a gunshot and put me in a 360 spin so i want a good pair :)

I had them fitted first with walk kit before fitting coilovers. Even with stock suspension i must say that was my favourite mod of all.
Balances it nicely.
H&R is cheaper and tested option. Save some penny.

Reactions: paddy
VWR are £500 a pair......H&R £350 i tend to lean towards VWR, they probably did some testing first. The front Anti roll bar on my 406 coupe snapped years ago on a fast corner like a gunshot and put me in a 360 spin so i want a good pair :)

You will probably find that VWR are just re-branded H&R or some other manufacturer ARBs with a bigger price :) VWR do this quite often.

Like @S. said, ARBs will definitely help to reduce roll. An anti-lift kits is also going to help in the corners. You will likely find that that even with stock suspension components you will get extra harshness due to the two sides of the car being connected with harder ARBs.

H&R vote from me. Paired with Michelin SuperSport tyres the handling was in a different league to before I fitted them. I was on stock suspension with 20mm Eibach springs on the front only too.

Looks pretty unanimous then, H&R, thanks guys :)

H&R here too @paddy. Initially the ride felt harsh and I queried whether something was wrong but it’s all good. I’ll fit a White Line ALK in a couple of months just to complete the setup.

I fitted H&R 24 front and 26 rear on my Quattro .... Only issue was there was always the problem of the front sway hitting one of the control arms, when I lowered it on ST XTA.

It worked amazing on stock suspension .... Absolutely awesome .... Wish I had left the suspension stock.

Doubt your lowered enough to cause any issues with sway bar and control, hitting. As in your at the perfect height likely.

Sent from my DEVICE using Tapacar

034 ARB from AwesomeGTI is amazingly good on the 8P RS3 running STD suspension with 8.5J fronts and MPSS all round - just wish I'd have fitted one earlier.

Now on KW Variant 3 shock absorber and springs and MPSS the 034 ARB is still a £s worth while fit.

BLUEY on KW

Reactions: miltybilty
034 ARB from AwesomeGTI is amazingly good on the 8P RS3 running STD suspension with 8.5J fronts and MPSS all round - just wish I'd have fitted one earlier.

Now on KW Variant 3 shock absorber and springs and MPSS the 034 ARB is still a £s worth while fit.

View attachment 157971

What he^^ said .... The best one there is.
Nutralizes the handling without having to upgrade the front one which is pricey on labour.

Love the car man ️ .... One of the nicest I've seen.

Reactions: 45bvtc
What he^^ said .... The best one there is.
Nutralizes the handling without having to upgrade the front one which is pricey on labour.

Love the car man ️ .... One of the nicest I've seen.

Thank you... It's in Cornflower blue, just the one in that colour, and not for sale anytime soon... :hi:

PS: I used to work in Pickering, Ontario, some 10-year back...

GREAT country, GREAT people. Seriously considered upping UK sticks and moving to Ontario.

Oh nice .... So that's the only one of it's color in the UK? Don't sell the rare ones eh

Cool .... That's about an hour and half up the lake from where I live.

Could you deal with are massive potholes though and horrible winters .... that is the question .... I have thought of moving to England or somewhere a bit milder in the winter, haha.

Thanks for the support

Reactions: 45bvtc
H&Rs all day great bars get the thickest they do, really recommend a set of bilstein dampers the stock ones are just crap, both combined will transform the handling

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: leshkin and paddy
Front Anti Lift Kit and Rr ARB is a good upgrade even if you change nothing else and both are easy to fit.
I fitted the 24mm Whiteline ARB 7 use on the hardest setting - those 2 mods together make the car significantly more positive on turn-in and balanced.
Std rear ARB is around 22mm IIRC and stiffness is proportional to diameter cubed (all other things being equal) so 24mm is likely to be 30% stiffer and 26mm 85% stiffer.

Front Anti Lift Kit and Rr ARB is a good upgrade even if you change nothing else and both are easy to fit.
I fitted the 24mm Whiteline ARB 7 use on the hardest setting - those 2 mods together make the car significantly more positive on turn-in and balanced.
Std rear ARB is around 22mm IIRC and stiffness is proportional to diameter cubed (all other things being equal) so 24mm is likely to be 30% stiffer and 26mm 85% stiffer.

I found the front a complete ****** to fit. You have to remove the oem brackets by drilling the bolts out, took me hours. A job I would not like to do again. The rears are a piece of ****

I’ll be perchasing a H&R set in a week or to along with my new super pro anti lift kit I’ve only heard and read good things

Reactions: mechanic69
I hope not :) along with me B8s and H&R springs I’m hoping the handling part has finished besides a decent brake setup

I found the front a complete ****** to fit. You have to remove the oem brackets by drilling the bolts out, took me hours. A job I would not like to do again. The rears are a piece of ****

I have Eibach Arbs all round - I chose these as the fronts have brackets pre-fitted.

I have Eibach Arbs all round - I chose these as the fronts have brackets pre-fitted.

Good call, I didn’t know the H&M didn’t have brackets and Audi don’t sell them on their own for the front, I did manage to salvage the oem ones tho after a bit of head scratching

If I was to get H & R arbs Is it wise for me
To fit rear ARB and leave the front oem

If I was to get H & R arbs Is it wise for me
To fit rear ARB and leave the front oem
If your just going to do the rear bar, it is best if you get the 034 sway bar. It's designed to work in conjunction with the front bar, without creating uncontrollable oversteer.

That said, people have fitted just the rear 26mm rear H&R bar although you'd have to be very careful and watch out for oversteer.

Reactions: S38pkyle-ing
I went with the h&r rear only for about 12 months before I went with the front h&r as well.

I only had one moment of **** twitching oversteer when I was really pushing on a damp road.

Day to day you wouldn’t notice any oversteer and it cancels out all of the understeer.

The front one then makes the car feel on rails and firms the front up to give you added confidence

I want to stiffen it up front and back because its now a bit dangerous with stg2+ but the roads round here are really bad and i need to compromise between handling and back jaring potholes. I know the ARB should not really effect the springs but by the nature of bracing one side to the other its going to stiffen the ride up.
I have an eibach pro spring kit 20mm but they only supply fronts so the car sits 20mm higher at the back now :)

How's it dangerous paddy?

Just wondering

.... I've had a ride in a stock suspension Mk6 R that was over 400hp and did 0-60 in 3.5 .... It felt fine .... infact it felt balanced ....

I think any stiffer than a S3 stock would be too rough for most imperfect roads ....

My experience with coilovers was that they actually felt unstable and skippy in the corners .... Not enough squishyness to deal with mid corner undulations and cracks.

The best my car ever felt was with stock suspension and H&R front and rear antisways and that was amazing .... It also has some polybushings installed at the same time (front control arm, etc)
.... The comfort was still good but the car felt planted and smooth
.... it had a tab bit of oversteer but not really any understeer....

Hi all, just wanted to get a better understanding.

I have a 2.0tdi FWD car, will an upgraded RARB only neutralise the understeer or does it push the car into oversteer tendency where I'd be better to leave it (not the only driver of the car and don't want anyone caught out by it)...

thanks for any help you can offer...

Car is on stock dampers and eibach pro-kit springs front and rear

Hey sayam .... To answer your question ....

If the upgraded rear sway bar is engineered and designed to work in conjunction with the front OEM swaybar than that's safe.

A lot of Mk5/6 owners tend to run just the rear upgraded swaybar .... h&r usually I believe .... Not much problems being front wheel drive but still a slight risk.

Heres a link to 034's rear sway that works with the front swaybar. (FWD chassis)

https://store.034motorsport.com/034...i-rabbit-8j-8p-audi-tt-a3-fwd-adjustable.html

Reactions: Sayam
Milty
I agree it doesnt want to be any stiffer but i find if i am tanking on and make even small corrections on the steering it lifts on the suspension so if i turn left it dives right and lifts left and you lose all feel from the steering, you just feel like you have lost control until you counter turn and get it level on the road again and some feed back returns..I am talking anything over 90mph really , i suppose you would call it understeer..

Hey sayam .... To answer your question ....

If the upgraded rear sway bar is engineered and designed to work in conjunction with the front OEM swaybar than that's safe.

A lot of Mk5/6 owners tend to run just the rear upgraded swaybar .... h&r usually I believe .... Not much problems being front wheel drive but still a slight risk.

Heres a link to 034's rear sway that works with the front swaybar. (FWD chassis)

https://store.034motorsport.com/034...i-rabbit-8j-8p-audi-tt-a3-fwd-adjustable.html

thank you :)

How's it dangerous paddy?

Just wondering

.... I've had a ride in a stock suspension Mk6 R that was over 400hp and did 0-60 in 3.5 .... It felt fine .... infact it felt balanced ....

I think any stiffer than a S3 stock would be too rough for most imperfect roads ....

My experience with coilovers was that they actually felt unstable and skippy in the corners .... Not enough squishyness to deal with mid corner undulations and cracks.

The best my car ever felt was with stock suspension and H&R front and rear antisways and that was amazing .... It also has some polybushings installed at the same time (front control arm, etc)
.... The comfort was still good but the car felt planted and smooth
.... it had a tab bit of oversteer but not really any understeer....

Stock suspension on S3 is widely considered to be pretty terrible. Crashy, rolls and does not involve or inspire confidence. With a decent set of coilovers and supporting mods like sway bars, anti lift kit and fresh mounts the difference is significant.
I think many confuse budget coilover kits with higher end options and end up with very different results.

Milty
I agree it doesnt want to be any stiffer but i find if i am tanking on and make even small corrections on the steering it lifts on the suspension so if i turn left it dives right and lifts left and you lose all feel from the steering, you just feel like you have lost control until you counter turn and get it level on the road again and some feed back returns..I am talking anything over 90mph really , i suppose you would call it understeer..
Consider the full package rather than just ARBs... Alone, they will definitely help to keep the car more level in the corners and playing with the settings on the ARBs, you could promote the rear to come out a bit easier by making the rear stiffer and front softer. But if the front shocks are too soft, she will dive into the corner under braking and the extra weight transfer can cause the car to be a bit too squirmy and require more correction to keep her pointing in the right direction.

I couldn't believe how much difference a decent coilover kit made to the way I could attack corners. Obviously there is a trade off in comfort which is where the dinamic damping kits come in, but at a price unfortunately.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that ARBs alone will not solve all of the problems unfortunately.