Air con help

Scotty258

Reaction score
Hi

B7 a4 avant tdi

got my condensor replaced the other day and air con recharged, took it home and noticed econ light still lit up. Took it back, checked gas and still fine. Ordered up pressure sensor, went to replace yesterday and when moving car noticed econ light had went out itself? Strange

can never fully hear a/c pump like on other cars and not blowing ice cold? Checked for power to pump and getting 9.6v, hooked up a jumper wire to the pump and can hear the clutch clicking, so pretty sure the pump is good

noticed car only has one radiator fan? And it isn’t running. Every other car I have had with a/c has had two fans and secondary one runs all the time with a/c?

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

You do realise that if you push the econ button it means Economy not econditioning. It turns off the AC if you push the econ button.

Before wasting any more money try the AC with the econ button unpressed....

Yes I do? I said in post econ light still lit, that was a problem, it wouldn’t go off. But yesterday when moving the car econ light had went off — air con on

Ok, in that case have you checked the fuse?

It wasn’t clear if you were trying to have the econ button lit or if it was just doing it by itself.

The coolant fan should be running with the AC on, AC won't be effective without it, single fan is fine these days though.

You can test the fan by unplugging the coolant temp sensor, it should default to fan on constant.

Cheers, did think that it should be running, doesn’t look like a fan is missing so yes single fan on the 2.0tdi’s?

Will try that, tried to get into plug yesterday for fan but hard wired into fan control module. Will pull off coolant sensor and see if it comes on, haven’t ever heard it on tbh but would say being a diesel would take a long time to heat to come on

Coolant sensor on block or on radiator?

Yeah it's a single fan on those, with the other side of the rad cowling having a plastic shutter.

Sensor on the block should bring the fans on. The rad one probably does as well but I've not tried.

Got it unplugged and fan ran on full speed, left like that for a good while, air con temp still the same.

Not much else to try now tbh other than the compressor and the expansion valve.

I did get a new expansion valve but never replaced it when I did the condensor, too late now as has been regassed, if It turns out to be compressor will replace this at the same time.

Compressor looks like it’s spinning all the time even with econ button pushed, but can hear noticeable change when it’s unplugged/plugged in and your under at the compressor but not a loud click like other cars I’ve had, is it meant to or is this the design of them?

Thanks

The outer ring of the compressor pulley will spin constantly, but the centre part should only spin when the clutch engages with the AC switched on. Mine definitely makes a noticeable click and difference in engine note when switching the AC on.

Ok, think I will say compressor itself is at fault then. When driving it there econ light is flashing on and off as well which I am unsure about. Gas level only thing that could really be contributing to that. Kwik fit should really be giving me my money back for recharge as well with there guarantee but guy put back in machine and showed me gauges to prove there is gas in it and refused a refund. So now will be compressor and another recharge.

Thanks for replies

Not sure if it's any good to you guys but I ripped all the air con system out of mine which can all be had for £40 (which is allot less than they go for used online).