Acoustic glass

Ytterligare

Reaction score
Hello, my A4 B9 is due mid-December, and among (?) other options I have added the front side windows acoustic glass.
Anyone can testimony it is a good choice, for exterior noise insulation ?
I have some doubt about it, mainly because I think that the noise can come also from the windshield, rear side windows, and boot windows...well, the AG are effective for about a third of the windows exposition to the outside...

Andy

Hi Andy.

The front windows come with acoustic glass as standard.
I have the privacy glass with side acoustic glass and they are very good. It is by far the quietest car I have ever driven. People always comment when in my car at the lack of noise. When I phone people in my car through the Bluetooth, people can't believe I'm in the car and driving along a motorway!

It's also meant to be the second most quietest car after a Rolls Royce.

Reactions: Jcbmally
Accoustic front windows come either with the privacy glass or they can be chosen seperately..

Mine is extremely quiet, but I haven't driven another A4 without the acoustic glass so I can't make any comparison. As alluded to above, cruising at 80 mph on the motorway is remarkably quiet. The 2 litre tfsi revs at 2000 rpm at 80 mph in comfort drive select setting, so that is a major contribution to noise reduction - as well as a great help in fuel consumption!

I can only agree with wideboybloke although I have driven both a 20.0l diesel without the privacy glass, hence no acoustic either, and a 2.0l petrol, however it didn't seem any different to my A3 in terms of noise around the front windows, I could hear the diesel engine though quite easily. However my current A4 is dead quiet in comparison, so much so it is easy to feel detached from what's going on outside, which isn't a bad thing. I was trying having a conversation with my neighbour the other day and with the windows up I could not hear his voice at all. I had to put it down so I could carry on talking to him..

Thank you everyone, didn't know front window was AG as well...My A4 has an engine which is not available in the U.K. ( 122cv ) so I don't know how it is revving @ 130 km/h but will find out in 3 weeks..:sign yum:

A.

what makes you doubt that?? That Audi can't develop decent acoustic glass??
It's been proven in tests!

Lots of things can be proven in tests with extremely tightly controlled parameters. MPG for starters. I can't imagine (Although I have not actual proof) that the A4 is the second most quietest car driving down the A45 on a Friday afternoon. (Bit of a random scenario).

Oh well don't buy an Audi then if you don't believe anything they say!

I have the acoustic glass and it is by far the quietiest car I have personally ever been in and my passengers are always amazed at the lack of noise. And I have a diesel as well so that's saying something!

I didn't say It wasn't quiet. It is, very much so.
But then that wasn't my argument.

No that's wrong. ALL models come with acoustic glass in the windscreen as standard. See the brochure and videos on YouTube.
I am, of course, referring to the front drivers and passengers windows, goes without saying that the windscreen which is why I stated front windows...

The a4 is dead quiet, I also have the privacy glass n the combination of the smooth ride from the adaptive suspension n the smoothness of the v6 makes it just in a diff league in its class (driven both 3 series n c class)
I would say its even quieter than my mates a6!

But surely it can't be the second quietest car after the rolls?! I'm pretty sure I remember from a review that audi said the a4 is the second quietest car in their line up after the a8?
That would also mean the a4 is quieter than the s class, 7 series, the flying spur n the other super luxury cars? Surely not?
Where did u hear this from ?@scottishs3

A link would be soooo nice to have at this point.... :whistle2:

I didn't doubt that Audi can develop decent acoustic glass, that wasn't in your original statement.

I doubt that the Audi A4, impressively quiet as it is, is the second most quiet car after the Rolls Royce. Are you really suggesting that the A4 is quieter than a Bentley for instance?

Reactions: syed123
I didn't doubt that Audi can develop decent acoustic glass, that wasn't in your original statement.

I doubt that the Audi A4, impressively quiet as it is, is the second most quiet car after the Rolls Royce. Are you really suggesting that the A4 is quieter than a Bentley for instance?
Yes I am! Read this months Top Gear magazine which quotes that the A4 is quieter than the Bently Bentayga!!!

Haven't got this, Did try one A4 in S-line guise with 19"'s on though. Thought the road noise was a little more than what I'd expect from a proper luxury car.

Still you never know!

Mine is the quietest car I have ever owned and I have 19's and acoustic glass.

The only time I notice anything is on poor road surfaces.

Reactions: scotty76, ScottishA4B9 and syed123
Mine is the quietest car I have ever owned and I have 19's and acoustic glass.

The only time I notice anything is on poor road surfaces.

Agreed! Wait till u add a tune n transform the power delivery of the engine into magic carpet like wafting on smooth roads!
A cousin who previously owned an a8 4.2tdi said it felt like a downsized version of his old4.2!
That's saying something :)

Reactions: scotty76 and ScottishA4B9
Yes I am! Read this months Top Gear magazine which quotes that the A4 is quieter than the Bently Bentayga!!!

It's possible that it is quieter than the bentayga.. but who knows, haven't sat in one n maybe the a4 is quieter than that model, just goes to show how well the a4 has done for its class!‎
But having said all that - as good as the a4 is especially in terms of drivetrain smoothness&refinenement, I obv don't think it's quite on the same level of other super luxury cars e.g the rolls royce wraith, Bentley mulssane, s class to name a few..
I would love to see an online article about this though.

If you google the video where they talk to the Audi engineers and designers for the A4, they went on about items like the wing mirrors being designed to reduce aerodynamics and especially noise hence why they are located on the door. Very interesting.

Reactions: scotty76
Is there a particular logo or anything on the glass itself to know if it's acoustic?.. in my current A3 (A4 on way) I had the windscreen replaced, although I specified it's acoustic I have no idea if it really is!

I believe the only way to tell is to look at them from above...from what I was told, there should be a "sandwich" of glass with some sort of transparent material inbetween....also I estimate the thickness should be different from the one of a normal glass ( e.g. rear windows )

I believe the only way to tell is to look at them from above...from what I was told, there should be a "sandwich" of glass with some sort of transparent material inbetween....also I estimate the thickness should be different from the one of a normal glass ( e.g. rear windows )
So the acoustic glass is just laminated glass? Makes sense I suppose.

I worked for a company once that developed a means of making steel that would sound proof various plant items within power stations. The effect of it was remarkable, and all it was were two pieces of steel plate glued together. Believe they called it sound dead steel or something similar. Supposedly the lamination within the plate disrupted the sound waves.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It is laminated but contains a special acoustic PVB layer...

Reactions: Migwire
Mine has acoustic glass and personally I think it wouldn't make that much of a difference without it. don't get me wrong the cars quiet and does a great job of blocking out most wind noise but there's still quite a lot of external noise and tyre roar especially on poor surfaces. The cabin just doesn't quite feel as air tight and isolated like a 7 series or an S class does which is what I was expecting based on the reviews. Still very good though for an A4 and worth adding on for an extra few 100 quid.

Last edited:
Accoustic glass could not eliminate tyre roar as that comes up from beneath the car and through the suspension also the a4 is not in the same class if car than a 7 series or a s class which you would expect to be better for the cost..

Agreed but these online reviews act like the A4 as quiet as an A8 which means it'd be up there alongside the cars like the Sclass 7series etc but its not. Like I said still a very quiet car for its class

I think blackb9er's final sentence sums it up nicely - the B9 is a quiet car. We can all hold our own opinions as to how quiet is quiet.

Reactions: Jcbmally
I think there was a post by someone who said the measured internal decibels were as quiet as bentley by one car reviewer?

Mine has acoustic glass and personally I think it wouldn't make that much of a difference without it. don't get me wrong the cars quiet and does a great job of blocking out most wind noise but there's still quite a lot of external noise and tyre roar especially on poor surfaces. The cabin just doesn't quite feel as air tight and isolated like a 7 series or an S class does which is what I was expecting based on the reviews. Still very good though for an A4 and worth adding on for an extra few 100 quid.

Agreed somewhat, but one thing I noticed with time that is (currently on 7km) my car got quieter and quieter, smoother, more economical&faster..

I remember taking a trip on the M25 near Surrey when the car had only done 500miles and the tyre roar was unacceptable, the road was quite bad but even still!

Having said all that most the roads I go on now which inc bad surfaces my car does not feel like it's in its class what so ever, it really does feel as quiet and luxurious compared with the A8 and it's rivals..

On the note of your post on the other thread on road noise, I find that the acoustic glazing makes the car so quiet that when you hear a motorbike or a loud car go by, it exaggerates the noise.. don't know if others find the same.

I think a lot of all this comes down to the suspension choice, alloys (mines are 19inch), engine and gearbox combo which all combine to perfect the driving experience of the new A4.

When

Yes 19" tyres will be much noisier than say 17" plus it depends upon the make, the road surface ir the ambient temperature. But no car can deal with our old concrete roads...

@syed123 sounds like my cars going through the same process but I'm quite happy to now know that my car will eventually evolve into the Super silent ninja its destined to be haha.

What engine do you have?