ABS, ESP, Steering Lights - Lights galore!

I've replaced some 8P racks & trust me its a royal pita to do with subframe etc & needs stand under a ramp to hold it all up, aswell as a 4 wheel aligment, along with some coding & basic settings to make sure new rack is calibrated, something I have to do again at some point, joyyys, nottt.

Humour me, remove the battery, check the grounding thick cable that is bolted to the chassis, sometimes these get all rusted up or dont conduct that well over time as you have a fair few errors on the car atm that say implausible, whilst I check something here.

Will do brother nige, Ill have a peak at the battery to see if anything, Im very certain its not the steering now and i can understand it being a huge job without the necessary ramps and equipment. Maybe best left to a garage although they charge they have the man power and lifts to deal with these issues alot quicker.

I will try the battery tomorrow, i did inspect alot of the wiring within the engine bay and honestly it looks very new, The components in my engine bay still look very tidy but its something i will certainly check tomorrow. If the wire seems in good condition what else could you advise?

I am thinking of handing it in to russel automotive and explaining everything to them so instead of trying to sell me the following LOL

steering rack
new engine (because of oil pressure)
about 10 abs modules
a new oil sensor

i can atleast say to them.....Car drives fine its something electrical please dont rob me of my moneys LOL :)

I cant remember when they did your rack did they use the newer loom?

Here are the parts they installed on mine:

1K2 423 055 JX (steering rack) - £666.71, which should have been almost £800 but there was a £115 discount for returning my old rack.
1K2 971 111 AJ (loom??) - £59.10

Plus a few clips and brackets totalling another £25.

Yeah the JX is an exchange price, the loom is correct so you're all good, so whats your continuing error code Ade?

Yeah the JX is an exchange price, the loom is correct so you're all good, so whats your continuing error code Ade?

Good good.

This is my fault code:

Address 03: ABS Brakes
Control Module Part Number: 1K0 907 379 AA
Component and/or Version: ESP FRONT MK60 0102
Software Coding: 0021122
Work Shop Code: WSC 06314
1 Fault Found:
01309 - Power Steering Control Module (J500)
008 - Implausible Signal

Sorry for the hijack Farhan. There's enough of nige to share around though!

Is that constant even after clearing it?

For me thats gotta be wiring if its implausible, you sure they even used that loom, 1st you need to get underneath & check the wiring.

For me thats gotta be wiring if its implausible, you sure they even used that loom, 1st you need to get underneath & check the wiring.

Never thought of that, but a definite possibility.

Get underneath and check the wiring??

Firstly.... underneath where exactly?
Secondly.... me 'checking the wiring' would involve me looking for wires, finding wires, and saying "yep, there are definitely wires down there". ;)

Anything in particular I should be looking for?? The part number??

By that I mean check the wiring going to the rack is connected correctly, mot missing any wires, check the wire colours & make sure they match up pin to pin as per Elsawin states it should, so you need knowledge of how to use the wiring diagrams.

Also as we were sat parked up since the battery reset those faults which just continually pinged up didnt come back. But after sitting on idle for a while diagnosing the steering angle sensor which was playing up and we thought we got to the bottom of it.

Low and behold all other faults flagged up again....This time ash had trouble getting readings on vag com, continous communication error,

The speedo and rev meter all stopped working, The radiator on the fans were running on full yet the engine drove perfectly fine.

I have videos of all that aswell, When ash gets a moment im sure he can explain a bit better what was happening.

the sort of fault i hate lol, intermittant bad connections, thats why your fans run flat out.

like you're being advised can check the basics but sometimes these can take ages to locate, especially if it's in a control unit

Something has happened for all of those faults to appear at once and I'm not mechanically minded or anything but my first suspect would be the CAN Gateway. The No Communication faults aren't necessarily faults with all the modules, but faults with the central hub that the modules are connected to in order to communicate.

the sort of fault i hate lol, intermittant bad connections, thats why your fans run flat out.

like you're being advised can check the basics but sometimes these can take ages to locate, especially if it's in a control unit

Indeed, This is my worry the cost involved in finding the faults is one thing, The replacement cost of a faulty module etc is another.

Something has happened for all of those faults to appear at once and I'm not mechanically minded or anything but my first suspect would be the CAN Gateway. The No Communication faults aren't necessarily faults with all the modules, but faults with the central hub that the modules are connected to in order to communicate.

Very true, the can gateway fault lights up like a sore thumb.

Nigel (NHN) called earlier and was very helpful so extremely pleased with the advice on offer and support over the phone as much as he can, Tomorrow im going to look at the grounding points in the engine bay and ensure they are connected properly to the chassis.

Obviously ill fish around and check to see if there are any bad points visible just to cancel out the smaller easy things. Hopefully Nigel being Nigel will be able to put these faults together by looking at the fault codes posted and narrow down the search to an area then we can possibly go from there.

Nigel will soon have you up and running again Farhan. He is very good at this fault finding. He doesnt get enough praise for the amount of
time he spends on these things. Im surprised he finds time to sleep.

Cheers jonny and sandra, Im glad nigel is on board to help out he knows his stuff with electrics. Going to check the battery later today lets hope i find something :readit:

Just an update, after a cold nasty evening i removed the battery etc, what a task to get to the grounding cables!

FAO: Nige

i saw the grounding points you mentioned, I undone around 4-5 grounding wires rubbed them all down with sandpaper including bolts and the areas where they touch on the threads. So far i havent been able to test but from what i saw there really wasnt anything on them to worry about at all. All looked in fair condition, I also did not see any odd splits or anything in the main looms so on that front everything looked ok.

Tomorrow i will drive the car after work and do a full test on saturday to see if this has made any change. Upon starting the car i still had the esp and powersteering light, Battery was removed for around an hour.

im sure these will reset when i drive down the road and do the full lock right left thing but it will be a bit of time before they come back.

Ok so thats at least confirmed & excludes this from the list, its something I always would check with so many errors.

I am still looking over this atm in between other jobs, so bare with me, but certainly if you can clear them & drive again, I still cant see how you lost power to the rack.

I do wonder if something is going on with of course gateway, but the ignition aswell, cause rack wouldnt lose power just like that, also the cluster faults you advised me of on the phone are extremely strange, I have yet to converse with a mate of mine as we often bounce ideas of eachother, so will do so tomorrow as I have some work to line up with him anyway that requires 2 people, on my car, for once lmfao.

If you could email me direct with logs that would be good thanks.

Cheers nige, It may have helped but i doubt it i can see what you mean though, There was one ground that had a bit of not rust but looked a bit old as you would say. It didnt look to be a problem at all though, I gave it a good hit with the sand paper.

I will have to give it a proper drive to see if anything has changed on it but i still doubt it, I have a feeling the fault lies within the can-gateway. Im going to leave it for the weekend and see if you can think of any other things it could possibly be.

Ill need your email again as for the life of me i cant remember it since i bought my rear light off you! Ill have the vcds log over to you asap.

Ok, rather than sit and squander depressed i have come up with some thoughts!

ABS Module - This is surely linked to the speedometer? The speedometer gets its signal from the front ABS Sensors. So i have a feeling there is a short to the ground or power issues there.

When the ABS Module fails also the power steering cuts out, Brake warnings come on......Not sure about why airbags flagged up in the log.

This is one thing! Or my can gateway is smoking a spliff and doing strange things. Iv been trawling the net looking for issues and this person below has a similar issue.

Iv quoted Shakespeare's version below:

SoI was driving home from work the other night in our first signifcant snowfall (Ilive in pa), and long behold while going down a long stretch of road at about 45 mph,I get a warning in my dash "Brake Fault: Drive Carefully To Your Nearest Workshop." Not only does that happen, but my brake light begins to flash, my ABS light goes on, as well as my power steering light and the slippery road warning light. Along with all the warning lights, my speedometer drops to zero and does not move. I call a friend whose a Honda tech, and he tells me to turn my car off for about a minute and then turn it back on (almost like a computer restart). I do it, and everything seems fine. I drive home, get in the car the next day to take my daughter to school, and it does it again; all the same symptoms with a few additional ones: my fuel needle goes from empty to full, my power locks wouldn't work from the keyless entry, the trunk would not work, the fuel door would not open, and my odometer was stuck at 3,268. Immediately I called my dealer and took it up there. They did a few computer diagnostic tests, and came back withthe verdict of a faulty ABS module. The way he explained it to me was that the way the computer communicates with all the other parts of the car is through this module, and b/c it was faulty, it was shooting off all kinds of wrong signals. So, mechanically, my car was fine.

Has anyone else every heard/dealt with a faulty ABS module? Can anyone elaborate more on it?

Ok, got to the bottom of this!

shockingly had VW/Audi come out to inspect it via audi assist. Upon arrival he scanned the car he saw all the faults, He opened the engine bay to find food on my engine tray......Yes food.

A few seconds later a rat runs out from the undertray....You guessed it. My little vermin friend has chewed through my wiring!!

As the audi guy was witness we called the insurance and they took his witness and have offered to take the claim on albeit a fault claim, Our NCB is protected but i will have to pay an excess and the car will be further diagnosed.

Hopefully it can be repaired and this issue can be sorted out.

Wow thats quite unbelievable, but at least you now know what the cause is.

LOL yep! shoulda heard the tech guy on the phone he saw it all and said to my mum...Madam would you kindly make me a cup of tea LOL and call your son.

Its good that you now know what the problem is. At least now you can get the car fixed and back on the road. How bad is the wiring?

Yeah when I read that text, it could only be something obscure like this overall, at least you know now it can be fixed, if the coachworks cant do, give me a shout, I'll fix it for you :)

Still can't believe it mate. A rat!!

I reckon it's still got something to do with your remap though. The rat must've heard you talking about having a bluefin and thought it was this.........

315-0721230850-bluefin-tuna.jpg

I LOLLED SO HARD I FELL OF MY CHAIR. I LOVE U BRO.......UR EPIC.

Yeah when I read that text, it could only be something obscure like this overall, at least you know now it can be fixed, if the coachworks cant do, give me a shout, I'll fix it for you :)

Cheers nige, very weird but i have heard it happen to someone before, It was my aunts BMW was brand new and within a few days rats got in and caused mayhem, Engine wouldnt turn over numerous faults aswell.

Will do, Theymentioned the company would diagnose and inspect the wiring further upon arrival, Then if its a larger job they will send it to audi for the rewiring as obviously it means more removal and parts. I cant see it being cheap at all. The lady over the phone mentioned obviously if its inspected and the value of repair can be dealt with under the excess figure we can opt to have it done ourselves. (I highly doubt that)

Wiring is pretty major especially in the bay atleast with the insurance if they say they fix it and other parts of the loom are found to be damaged later they will have to either rectify it. Wiring is the one thing i dont want to pay for its extremely time consuming and costly. Will keep you notified though.

Its good that you now know what the problem is. At least now you can get the car fixed and back on the road. How bad is the wiring?

Hopefully, Because of the situation they said it may take a bit of time for it to be rectified...Hopefully i get a nice courtesy car. I cant stand being put into a fiat panda i need my audi swag back.

Lol, proper laughing at audi swag.

So theyoffered me an aygo..... er no

like for like...not like for less. The world we live in.

I'd love one of them to throw around, sure I'd get bored easy though.

Let us know what you get, and make sure you throw up a few YouTube clips or you making sure the rev limiter works properly :)

I'd love one of them to throw around, sure I'd get bored easy though.

Let us know what you get, and make sure you throw up a few YouTube clips or you making sure the rev limiter works properly :)

id love to throw one off a cliff and video it.

Lol@aygo, hear they come in a fetching pink colour too. So you got any idea what they will give you Farhan? When is the car going in to get the work started on it? Any idea how long it will take them?

LOL thats your Audi swag out the window then mate! That not even like for like, insurance companies nowadayz!! Farhan it would be interesting how much they quote you to repair the damage, so keeps us inform and hope it gets sorted soon.

Lol@aygo, hear they come in a fetching pink colour too. So you got any idea what they will give you Farhan? When is the car going in to get the work started on it? Any idea how long it will take them?

LOL, tbh i have driven one before they are quite fun to drive but i was expecting better, When i used to have the bmw a few years ago they offered us a jaguar as a courtesy car (Later refused as drivers under 21) Instead they gave us a volvo saloon 2.0 Diesel which was nice. Thats where i picked up my lovely 6 points!!

The second time i had a courtesy car was a fiat bravo 1.4Turbo which was miles better.

Spoke to them a little while ago and they said Aygo/107/Toyota IQ.....Unless i pay for a premium car which i dont really want to do so a nice pink Aygo it may be LOL.

LOL thats your Audi swag out the window then mate! That not even like for like, insurance companies nowadayz!! Farhan it would be interesting how much they quote you to repair the damage, so keeps us inform and hope it gets sorted soon.

Indeed, They are being a bit iffy but im not going to fuss, Considering the extent of damage my cars wiring could have im at least pleased they are willing to even take it on. I understand it will be a hit on my policy but i think its more the reassurance that the wiring will be extensively checked and guaranteed there after. One thing alot of people may miss is fine it may be repaired cheaper elsewhere but say my vermin friend attempted a bite on another major harness, Broke a tooth but put a splice in the wiring....Over time weathering etc could rust the cable and carry on through the whole loom then ill be stuck later down the line.

At least by allowing the insurance to get involved i can cover myself for work carried out and if this happens later down the line i have a claim to fall back on and take up with them.

Ok, got to the bottom of this!

shockingly had VW/Audi come out to inspect it via audi assist. Upon arrival he scanned the car he saw all the faults, He opened the engine bay to find food on my engine tray......Yes food.

A few seconds later a rat runs out from the undertray....You guessed it. My little vermin friend has chewed through my wiring!!

As the audi guy was witness we called the insurance and they took his witness and have offered to take the claim on albeit a fault claim, Our NCB is protected but i will have to pay an excess and the car will be further diagnosed.

Hopefully it can be repaired and this issue can be sorted out.
glad you got to the bottom of this headache , bit of a random one that lol

Farhan, if you get a pink Aygo, we all want pics, lol.