A5 Diesel.. Tell me everything

Shogun

Reaction score
hey guys, looking to move over from the B8 forums to here,
(Newborn baby is making the saloon difficult and I do NOT wanna leave the Audi club)
Had a practise run with the pram and the 5 million accesories needed in an A5 at weekend and it's perfect (the 5 door hatch)
HOWEVER
Ive got about a 15k budget and I need an auto, which is putting me around the 09-11 plate ones and ive been advised to avoid the petrol like the Black Plague because of the oil situation, and I don't think I'd sleep at night with it as I need my car every day and knowing my look Audi would charge me for a rebuild.

ive been warned off diesels in the past as I probably only do 8-10k miles a year with most of it being short trips or hammered in traffic

What do you guys think? Ive had a diesel in the past and had a lot of trouble with the DPF but I wasn't too aware of it and the set up wasn't too clever and it was a vauxhall so yeah...
Literally don't wanna buy a bad car guys so any help would be great
Thanks

I wouldn't let the oil issue put you off the petrol models. Nearly every single affected car we've had reported on the A5OC forum has had the fix completely free of charge. The only ones that have had to pay a contribution towards the cost are those that have mapped their engines/other performance upgrades. Once they have had the fix, they are generally fine. My advice would be to ask any private sellers/traders for proof of the fix through an Audi invoice. If you have that, you should be golden.

It's a shame mines only a 3door coupe as mine is up for sale and has had the oil issue fixed. Since the fix its barely touched the oil over the last 3000miles.

Good luck with your search!

Thanks for that mate and yeah what a shame Id love to buy one off a member

I'm a bit gutted really because the one I had negotiated on was a nice s-line one done 44k however the service history was all done at Halfords auto centres and ive read Audi won't fix without Audi history

Thanks for that mate and yeah what a shame Id love to buy one off a member

I'm a bit gutted really because the one I had negotiated on was a nice s-line one done 44k however the service history was all done at Halfords auto centres and ive read Audi won't fix without Audi history

I would probably avoid it because it has had all its services done at Halfords, never mind the oil issue...!

Audi are fairly flexible with the service history though. A couple of members had indie services on their record and still had the fix FOC. I think some asked for evidence that the right oil was used though (which always seemed daft to me, since I topped up my car with way more oil than a garage would when I had the problem, and they never asked me what oil I used...!).

I have had an A5 2.0 Coupe tdi (2012) for a few months now and just clocked up 6k. Average mpg is 44.1 and thats either long motorway miles or short personal journeys. Hit 50 mpg from Berkshire into South East London last week. It's an auto as well and still shifts with the paddle shift option and sport mode. I haven't even needed to top up any oil so far either. I drive it well and quick on the motorway but I don't throw it around like my old A3. Great engine for me and it doesn't break the bank and still shifts.

I've 2014 2.0TDI quattro Sportback and am averaging 39mpg. Never seen more than 45mpg on the instantaneous readout.

The boot is excellent as my young lad is an ice hockey netminder and his kit bag is huge. It's swallow up his bag without folding the seat or removing the shelf, with space to spare.

It pulls well in traffic and has used about half its fill of oil in 14.5K miles (my previous BMW didn't use oil at all). Build quality is pretty good, shouldn't see many sqeaks or rattles at the age you're looking for.

It's a big car so don't expect it to handle like a supermini.
I find the S-line seats a little disappointing coming from BMW sport seats. There is no side bolster adjustment to help hold you in place on a spirited drive.

MMI input for iPod/iPhone is a good thing to have.

HTH